Signs point to seriously are you that dumb

-

Penstarpurist

Reaction score
A week ago I caught my neighbors at the far back of my property teaching one of my livestock guardian pups to get under my fence for treats so they could pet her. A 30 year old gal, who comes to visit her parents. I asked them wtf they were doing? Why they remotely thought it an okay habit to teach anyone's dog. They said it's my fault for having a friendly dog. I told them if they put their hands through the fence and got bit, I'd be the jerk with an aggressive dog, so now I'm the jerk with a too friendly pup? My other dog was standing back several feet barking at them to get off the fence, the friendlier one was already under the fence being lavished by the gal. I told them they have probably ruined my dog by teaching it a very hard to break habit. So, I had to add a low strand of electrified barb wire. Told her do not look at, call, or pet any of my animals. Her dad tells me, well you better lock up your dogs at night because they will just get under again. That's when my dogs do most of their work, so I told him to piss off. The next morning I went out to the pasture and sat up on the adjacent hillside and watched the dogs to see if they tried and get shocked back into the pasture. Well the lady pulls up in her car, as soon as my one pup hears her car she goes running to the back fence, which tells me that she's been doing this for awhile. I sit and watch, the gal hops out of her car and beelines for the fence arms out to reach through and pet her again. Which has been posted for a long time "caution hot electric fence". So I jump up and yell at her to stop right there and to never ever try it again and that she knows they are working dogs in training. She spins around and runs to her parents house. With me yelling at her the entire time. I got a large bright yellow sign that I had to post on the fence right where she parks saying "livestock guardian dogs working do not disturb". I can not believe that I even have to post this. And my pup did hit the hot wire, got super shocked and ran back off the fence. It's so sad that people are so damn stupid and disrespectful to even have to yell at them to not do this and put up signage. I hope this works.

Unfortunately I find that the most common thing I say is-

"What's wrong with people?"

People are F'ing Morons, you are most likely going to have to put up a camera, cause now they are probably going to make it their mission to mess up all your'e pups.

Jeff

Last edited:
It's sad that you have to waste your own time for crap like this.

my coworker had a neighbor that would sneak his Siberian husky food. She said he never fed him. (which she wasn't awake when the dog was fed in the morning) The dog never barked until she wrecked him. He was gone all day at work and the other neighbors brought it to his attention.

Two years ago I had to go off on a lady renting from a neighbor. I caught her pouring bags of salt, carrots and sugar cubes over my fence to feed my cattle. I told her to knock the crap off, she asked me what my purpose for raising cattle was. I laughed and said for food, where do you think beef comes from? Santa clause? She said that people like me are the problem and not her. Told me she has every right to do what she wants to with them and she might just set them free one night. I called her landlord and she was gone the next day. Different neighbors than the dog feeding people. My cows have a 1500 pound round bale in the round feeder at all times, a 250 gallon water trough and a small 80 gallon one for the calves. Shade trees, loafing sheds, apple trees that drop fruit all the time in the summer. They have it very good. My wife and I have been seriously talking about selling and moving way out of the edge of town. I just don't know if it would be any better even with that.

People are F'ing Morons, you are most likely going to have to put a camera, cause now they are probably going to make it their mission to mess up all your'e pups.
I had to put up a trail camera a few years ago to catch my neighbors pit bull going under the fence to bite my cattle in the legs. County told me to shoot the dog. So he no longer bothers my cattle now.

I would either chained up this dog so that she can see that it's now on a chain in your yard, at least temporarily, or make it disappear altogether and give it or loan it to somebody else for a few days so that she can't mess with it. Tell her that because of her training your dog you had to get rid of it. Maybe even have a fake grave close to The Back Fence.

Last edited:
I'd make 'nice' with the neighbor, and ask what she would give you for the dog. This solves two problems.. feuding with a neighbor always sucks, and your dog has already 'bonded' with her.
Granted, it's to her being an idiot.
This dog will be useless to you whenever she shows up... and she's got a love for the dog it seems. Make her pay enough to make it worth your time, and an admonishment to never do it again.
You're happy, she's happy, the dog's happy, and no more feuding.
I worked in animal shelter for 4 years when I was young, dealt with a lot of this kind of stuff being in a rural area.
Just my usually worthless opinion.

The dog is a great pyrenees, she lives in a small house in town from what I've heard. Pyrenees are not really suited to be on small acreage. The dog would not be happy long term there. Fortunately the pup is only 7 months and I'm hoping can come back around to doing its job. I've kept a close eye on it the last couple days and it seems to be staying off the fence in that part of the pasture. Plus it's so bonded to the other puppy that I would probably have a second dog that would be devastated and lose its focus. I can just work the dog more in the front pasture for a while and hope it gets back on track. But yeah, worst case scenario I can always call the breeder and have her find another working situation on a much larger neighbor free farm.

Holy crap, Great Pyrenees guarding? Would keep me away!
Agree that's not a small house dog, lol.
The second dog throws a wrench in for sure.
I just need to see pics of these 'monsters' keeping **** in order now, lol.

They are 60 pounds at just 6 months. Which for a pair of female puppies is no small thing. Their parents were 130lbs for the mom and 165lbs for dad. We have a 165 male dane that is a great guard dog for the home and family. I got the pair of females to watch the livestock and farm. And according to my wife be the breeders for our Dane, as she wants a pyredane puppy, lol. Those two are crazy wild and wrestle each other almost 24/7. It's their natural traits to train themselves to be ready for the day they have to protect the cattle from predators with their lives. Plus, it's stopped the problem of stray dogs biting at my cattle already. They do have a small amount of anatolian shepherd mix in them, which makes them a better well rounded dog. At two years of age they become fully aware of their job duties and go much more antisocial with anyone not in their family. Which is why I am hoping that she can get back on track with her focus. They are the oldest recognized species of dog in the world. There are cave drawings picturing them. Like b.c times of the planet. Plus I have so much time, money and effort into them I cant write her off just yet. I know she knows her role, she's just young yet. Still no excuse for the dip doodle neighbors out back.

Well so far its been going well after posting the sign. The gal has seemed to stay off the fence, molly the pup has been hanging out more in the back part of the hazelnut orchard next to the pasture. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she'll get it figured out and keep her job on my farm. The electrified barb wire probably really helped. Just wanted to give you an update if anyone was wondering.

My wife's sister lives on ranch with sheep and the Great Pyrenees dogs protect them from the coyotes. The dogs think they are family to the sheep. They take some dog food out to the pasture and don't interact with dog at all. They are a great breed.

I had the same problem with my neighbor and my dog. Although my dog isnt a working guard dog
I trained him not to leave the yard. And he wouldn't he stayed inside at night and I would let him out during the day and he would never ever leave my little 1 acre lot. Well I got home from work one day and he wasnt home. I was like wth were is he. So I started hollering for him and he came from the neighbors yard. I scolded him he tucked his tail and went in the house. A couple weeks later I was outside with him and I could here the neighbors kids hollering my dogs name. I was like wtf! I was pissed Marshall (my dog) started to go to them and I quickly said NO! And he came back. So I went up there and told them. Stop calling for my dog I'm trying to train him to not leave the yard he isnt a neighborhood dog he is my dog I don't want him wondering around like a stray. So I thought it had stopped. A couple weeks later it was getting dark so I went outside to let him in and he was gone. I hollered for him walked everywhere, drove up and down the road for hours. He was gone I was so upset. Well it was about 10 pm I was still looking for him and yelling for him and I heard him start barking (he has a very unique bark) so I walked up to the neighbors they have a large fenced in property with gates because they have cattle. I saw the same kid I talked to before I said Dillon have you seen my dog? He said yea he is at the house. They got him up there and shut the gate so he couldn't get out. Walked up to the gate and he saw me and ran to me and jumped in my arms. I was so pissed I chewed them all out. After that I got one of the wireless electric collers and it never happened again. But still I shouldn't have had to spend 300 bucks on the coller when I already had him trained and they broke his training.

You need to get collars for them damn kids and jump all over their parents, people have no respect for other peoples belongings, they need to be retaught, some in the most harshest way.

Jeff

This is how mine greet strangers, lol.

upload_2019-7-30_8-44-22.jpeg

It's both sad and amazing that people are so dang disrespectful and stupid. Especially when you have told them upfront once, then to catch them in the act a second time.

We have a Great Pyreenes/Ridgeback cross. A guard dog for our Boer goats. He is all about keeping is goats safe! A timid dog unless he needs to guard!!

I moved out to a new place in NW Mo. 15 years ago for a while. I had a small place, the neighbor on 2 sides had 1200 ac. He came over to meet me, and asked if I was a city chit ( he asked in a nice way and did not call me that). I laughed and so no. He begins to tell me how a guy from the burbs had bought a lot across the road on the other side of his farm and built a nice home. Well the neighbor was disking one dry spring day and raising some dust. The neighbor stopped him, and began to bless him out for getting dust on his new home!!!!!!

I've had many complaints over the years from city slickers that think they want to move out to the country for a change of pace. Then complain that they don't like the smells, noises, etc of livestock. I had a guy once that said my ducks would fly over his property and poop. Then his dog would eat the poop and said it caused seizures in his dog, couldn't be the fact the dog was very old and in poor health. Then would be mad his dog rolled in the poop and got on his furniture. Or ones that complain that my hogs smelled, or my cattle moo's louder than he likes, rooster crows at daybreak, tractors are loud and make dust when tilling, that my new shop blocks their view of my pasture that they liked looking into and I was so rude that I didn't get their opinions first of if, and where I should have built it on my property. That my home sits on top of the hill and the heavy rain waters flood their driveway out. Even though my home has sat in the same spot since 1955 and they built theirs 10 years ago at the bottom of a hill. Because clearly, it's all my fault that things are not exactly what they want it to be.

Lol, nope. It's right where I wanted it to be. I told them they could imagine the view from memory. To which they would threaten to call me into the county to be sure I was going through the permit process to legally do the work. Which of course I did from the beginning as I did not want to have to tear down any work done. When that didn't work for them, their adult son started throwing dead rats, birds, cat poop up against my fence right near the front door of my shop. After threatening to turn them into the county and build a six foot cedar fence completely around them so they could look at only that. The son promptly but disgruntled picked up everything, its been a bit better with them. Lol. So far anyway as this is a recent issue from this year.

20 years ago we had some city folks band together to try to get an ordinance that would have forced farmers to move their equipment AND livestock inside every night. That carried over to the car hobby and the ordinance included any wheeled vehicle.

I attended a public hearing along with about 100 other car guys and we got it watered down to where we can have 5 unlicensed, non running cars on rural properties.

But the farmers got off Scott free... They were the big winners and we did the dirty work.

When we lived at our old place, we had neighbors about 100 yards in front of us. At that time I had a German Shepherd (RIP) who did NOT like strangers. Well, one day my neighbor calls me and tells me I need to keep my dog on a chain or he’ll shoot him, said the kids were out riding golf cart and Chester was chasing them and jumping up on the front of it. So I went out and tied him up for a few hours. A few days later, I hear something outside and I look out the door and the neighbors kids are out riding golf cart again and they would drive all the way down to the edge of my property and holler and whistle, trying to get Chester to come chase them!! I was pissed! Chester was laying under the porch behind the house so he couldn’t hear them. I watched a little longer and soon they they drove down my driveway and turned into the yard and went through the yard back up to their place! At that point I was fuming!! I tried 3 times to call the neighbor and wouldn’t you know it, that sorry *** wouldn’t pick up and never did call me back! We still own that place and rent it out. I sure don’t miss living there! Now we have 165 acres, 20 minutes from a Walmart and some of the nicest neighbors. Nearly all my neighbors are 60+ and some are in poor health so who knows who will move in and how things will be in the coming years.

^^ It is not that I am anti social or hate people, I just prefer my closest neighbor is just over 5 miles away. We need to move to WEST TEXAS!!!!!!
One the step daughter did live in a remote part of New Meixico, that ranch is big and a little isolated. To get a gallon of milk, it was a 33 mi drive!!!
Most places I have had in Ga or Mo, the nearest store was 15-18 mi away. That has nothing to do with neighbors though!!

-
Back