Silliest Thing You Ever Put On Your Mopar ?

-

Johnny Dart

Reaction score
I was going through some parts bins today, and found these valve stem caps. I installed these on my 65 Dart at least 25 years ago. Lol
Not sure what I was thinking, I guess I just wasn't.
So that leads me to this question.
What is the silliest thing you ever put on your Mopar ?

IMG_20210810_121842097.jpg

Oh Man.... You are going to stir up a hornet's nest with that one. Lol But I agree 100%
I had them laying around(still do). I ran them on my dart. Another Mopar guy said "you have a snubber" i said "yeah" he said "get rid of the lakewoods..." :)

That was years ago. Young and dumb.

One in the early 70's was a home-made fuel "cool can" laborously made from some big can and a bunch of copper tubing. Of course I had read an article in "car craft" or "hot rod" or some bullshit

IF YOU WANT TO KNOW JUST HOW BAD some of the info in some of those mags was/ is, remember these two:

There was once a "project 32 coupe" or some such in I think "Popular HotRodding". They actually did an article in the series showing how to shorten the driveshaft IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TUBE. Months later they came out with a "retraction."

Another little known "I wish I had that today" blurb was a tiny little box/ window/ announcement in the back of one of the mags in those days. I don't remember exactly the wording, but it was ADMITTING that they "massaged' the drag race results in car testing articles "If they thought they should have been better" due to driver mistakes/ weather/ who knows what else

Project32.jpg

I had them laying around(still do). I ran them on my dart. Another Mopar guy said "you have a snubber" i said "yeah" he said "get rid of the lakewoods..." :)

That was years ago. Young and dumb.

That's to bad, because I like the look. There's a few guys around here running them. I think they are the minority though.

I had a Betty Boop Air freshener in my 66 Coronet 500 which came with the bare foot throttle pedal.

Seen others do silly things. Like put a LS engine in and defend doing it.

Last edited:
Oh Man.... You are going to stir up a hornet's nest with that one. Lol But I agree 100%

I agree 100% too that they aren't needed on Mopars, but Vixen's gettin a pair, because that's the look I'm after. I don't care that they "work" or not.

I guess the silliest thing I've ever put on one would be the fuzzy "dice" boobs I have on Vixen's mirror right now. but then.....how can boobs be silly?

Previous owner of my Dodge Adventurer Sport D100 put mufflers that have a ford logo and a chevy suburban steering wheel and bench seat in it. Disgusting!

I am guilty of putting pontiac sunfire seats in my old Plymouth Duster to replace the bench seat.

That's to bad, because I like the look. There's a few guys around here running them. I think they are the minority though.
It was a sign of the times, I always dug the look of those on cars. Easy to judge 50 years later but back then, oh yeah. How many kids put Go Wings on their cars?

Previous owner of my Dodge Adventurer Sport D100 put mufflers that have a ford logo and a chevy suburban steering wheel and bench seat in it. Disgusting!

I am guilty of putting pontiac sunfire seats in my old Plymouth Duster to replace the bench seat.
I have a fury wagon seat in mine :D

Lots of dumb stuff...
Superior foam grip steering wheel, couldn't have been more than 12" diameter; on a manual steering Dart. Back then I had more strength in my arms than in my head...
OIP.q4_5laqIgTcd9wVA5rG4FwAAAA?w=207&h=159&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.1&pid=1.jpg

Those gawdawful 10" spring shackles that everybody ran- just to get clearance for the big ol' 60s on the same Dart.
OIP.scubfGC6OwOPwXcznCFgdwHaFE?w=248&h=180&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.1&pid=1.jpg

With a pair of Gabriel Hi-Jackers, of course.

My ex-wife's name on the rear end housing...

Home stereo speakers sitting on the rear package shelf.
But honestly, is there anybody that didn't do any of this back in the day? :rolleyes:
At least I never covered the dash in fur or hung dingleberries around the windshield!

Lots of dumb stuff...
Superior foam grip steering wheel, couldn't have been more than 12" diameter; on a manual steering Dart. Back then I had more strength in my arms than in my head...
OIP.q4_5laqIgTcd9wVA5rG4FwAAAA?w=207&h=159&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.1&pid=1.jpg

Those gawdawful 10" spring shackles that everybody ran- just to get clearance for the big ol' 60s on the same Dart.
View attachment 1715779026
With a pair of Gabriel Hi-Jackers, of course.

My ex-wife's name on the rear end housing...

Home stereo speakers sitting on the rear package shelf.
But honestly, is there anybody that didn't do any of this back in the day? :rolleyes:
At least I never covered the dash in fur or hung dingleberries around the windshield!
Oh yeah I did the home stereo "boxes" in the back seat, if anyone road in the back they had to move em, and put em on the one side... I didn't know a thing about "impedance matching" either...apparently electronics guys will tell ya home speakers don't work right in a car. i didn't notice...I had the wires running up the side of the passenger seat didnt even tuck them under the sill plate...:)

Oh yeah I did the home stereo "boxes" in the back seat, if anyone road in the back they had to move em, and put em on the one side... I didn't know a thing about "impedance matching" either...apparently electronics guys will tell ya home speakers don't work right in a car. i didn't notice...I had the wires running up the side of the passenger seat didnt even tuck them under the sill plate...:)
Didn't notice the impedance matching, they were distorting so bad because they were always "cranked up to 11" so you could hear Springsteen's "Born To Run" over the Cherry Bomb glasspacks!

I was not one for doing thing to my cars, I did put fog lights on it, silly? The car did have curb feelers on it when I got it (stayed on it till I started the restoration). Now the Roger Rabbit stick-up doll on the window? I'm almost afraid to admit that.
1986-12-01_002.jpg

1990-06-01_003.jpg

Alan

When I first bought my dart in 2000 I was 15 and not even old enough to drive it yet, it needed some work to make it road worthy. New tires, a radiator, ball joints, tie rods, brakes, etc basic maintenance stuff. While at autozone one day picking up some parts I saw a set of "fog lights" i thought that would be cool! So I bought them and put them on the car alot with fuzzy dice and 8 ball door locks. I kept them on there for years thinking they was cool. Now that I'm older and wiser I can look back and see how ugly they were lol but at the time I liked them!

20180829_104431.jpg

Its funny how your tatses change, I got my car with two aluminum slots and two ralley wheels on it. I scraped up a full set of ralleys,and i have a set of slots but they arent from the same manufacturer, I have two fentons and two US wheel Indy. I do want a nice set of slots though...

what about things we do today that are accepted...but maybe don't do much.
like water wetter in your anti freeze/ coolant?
I know a guy who put side pipes on a roadrunner back in the 60's...sheesh!

-
Back