Silver or Gold pentagram?

-

Joey4speed

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Noticed the pentagram on right fenders are either Silver or Gold in finish.
Im sure it has been clarified here, but searched around with no results.
What is the significance again?
Thanks

55-78 are Gold on Laysons....maybe your 'silver' ones are just weathered?

Here are 3 pretty good shape...notice any difference in color?
20200627_200601.jpg
20200627_200640.jpg

Middle one has the faintest gold color but all are gold. 80s were silver with a brushed face

They actually sell the silver ones new... I've never seen one original on an old car, but thought I might learn something from someone else here.

It’s called a Pentastar and Gold is the only color they came in.
If the metal separated from the plastic base it looks like it’s silver.

Not saying that classic knows what that are talking about (far right is a wall art sign) but...
Screenshot_20200627-214205.png

Pentagrams are only on cars built by the devil (Chevys?, Fords?, certainly any foreign car....). Pentastars are Mopar. Always liked to see them on the left front fenders of older Mopars. Thought it added a little "class". Gold from the factory....

Long ago, the rumor was the fender Pentastar denoted the car was bought with the extended warranty. But I have never seen any documentation to support that.

Pentagrams are only on cars built by the devil (Chevys?, Fords?, certainly any foreign car....). Pentastars are Mopar. Always liked to see them on the left front fenders of older Mopars. Thought it added a little "class". Gold from the factory....
Umm dont you mean right front fender

Long ago, the rumor was the fender Pentastar denoted the car was bought with the extended warranty. But I have never seen any documentation to support that.
That's a rumor that needs to be dead. They all came with them regardless. Corporate warranty was 5/50 for everything and 1/12 for a Hemi car. No such thing as an extended warranty back then. At 50k miles cars were concidered half used up back then.

Chrysler brought them back as chrome peel and stick on cars in the early 90s. Stuck em on both fenders this time. Originals were always gold tone finish from the factory.

Reason they were on the right front fender was the marketing department wanted them there since that was curb side. The gold tone made em "pop" a bit and was to draw the average person's attention to the car. Even if they werent car people they would recognize the pentastar logo as a chrysler product.

Marketing wanted them on both fenders, the bean counters said no to having them on at all. Too much cost to do this to every car made, the bean counters and marketing came to an agreement and settled on the most often visible side. Curb side.

As cool as it is today, The pentastar was not there to denote extended warranty. That was not even in the dealer vernacular back then. They were not polished silver or chrome either. The originals from late 1963-1965 were chromed diecast with a gold tone finish and black painted accents. Around some time in 1966 they switched to black plastic with a built in mounting clip, and a gold anodized stamped aluminum insert glued in to cheapen the manufacturing cost and remained made that way thru 1972. But for all regular intents and purposes, they were put there simply for marketing purposes from 1964-1972

The classic industries ones as well as the other repops I have found are all the 66-72 ones.

Last edited:
The pentastars were put on 63s too. The later cars had them factory installed but the dealers recieved kits from Chrysler to install them on the cars they had already sold. You can imagine how many were called back in to get a tiny emblem installed!
The early ones were pot metal. Does anyone know for sure what year they switched to plastic?
In the 80s the star was resurrected in the form of hood ornaments.
2007 was when the design reappeared with a crisper design and brushed metal look.

Last edited:
I had a 66 dodge coronet 440 back in 1986 that had the plastic one. Not sure weather it was an early or late build car, but it had 46,000 original miles and original paint. So I can only presume that was the change over year.

The pentastars were put on 63s too. The later cars had them factory installed but the dealers recieved kits from Chrysler to install them on the cars they had already sold. You can imagine how many were called back in to get a tiny emblem installed!
The early ones were pot metal. Does anyone know for sure what year they switched to plastic?
In the 80s the star was resurrected in the form of hood ornaments.
2007 was when the design reappeared with a crisper design and brushed metal look.
I heard that too. Until they got the tooling set up to punch the holes in the fenders, they pitched em in the glove box along with the barrel retainer clip.

The pentagram is totally different with a different meaning than a pentastar.
(Of course it's already been said, but I still needed to mention it)
Anyway, I'm still not sure of what cars got it and which ones did not.
I've seen them randomly on some models and for sure on certain ones.
The problem is, since these cars are 50 years old (give or take) it's hard to find original ones anymore.
I think they look good on any classic Mopar.

The pentagram is totally different with a different meaning than a pentastar.
(Of course it's already been said, but I still needed to mention it)
Anyway, I'm still not sure of what cars got it and which ones did not.
I've seen them randomly on some models and for sure on certain ones.
The problem is, since these cars are 50 years old (give or take) it's hard to find original ones anymore.
I think they look good on any classic Mopar.
They all came with them. The fenders were all stamped with the holes in the bare metal stage of manufacturing from 1964-1972. I have seen them randomly on some 64-72 cars in the 1980s because people were popping the rough looking ones off during amateur restorations back then and just filling in the holes.

The repop stuff we enjoy today was not available back then. The year one catalog for all MoPars in the late 1980s was maybe 22 pages thick, and held together in the middle with staples. Catalog was mostly carpets, decals, emblems, NOS stuff in limited supply, headliners, package trays and some weather stripping. I was stoked and shocked at the same time when legendary came out with door panels for 68-69 charger. The internet was in its infancy back then, and if you couldent find NOS, you made due with used parts that were better than what you had, you restored the parts you had, or you made due without.

Nowadays you can find damn near anything you need either NOS or repop from an unbelievable amount of sources all over the internet. The reason YearOne sticks out in my head is that they used to be at Englishtown N.J. every spring and fall swap meet selling NOS and repop parts. Back then if you were into MoPars, other than the junkyard, or buying a parts car, they "were" the only game in town. I was on a mail order list, and got their catalog every year and it kept getting thicker. You had to call in your order and do credit card over the phone or fill out the order sheet that was in the catalog and snail mail it to them with a check then wait for weeks for your stuff to arrive.

I am working on a current A body project that I will unveil in a week or 2 as everything arrives, and I giterdun. I am doing this particular project because I cannot find exactly what I need for both cars and will have to make what I need. I researched what I needed right at my fingertips on my phone. All my needed supplies I pulled from different sources all over the internet. I did this based on researching the best quality of each item I could find. Payed for all of it with my PayPal balance. The reason I am mentioning this, is technology changes, and where we were at in the 80s with it.

If back in the mid 1980s somebody told me that in the year 2020 I was going to purchase parts and supplies from all over the country and even from sources from outside the country to make something i need using part and supply source companies I never even heard of in locations I have never been to by finding them on my computer which is a touch screen square about 2.5" x 6" that fits into my pocket and doubles as a phone, rolodex, camera, music source etc. And that I will pay for those parts with electronic money at the touch of a button on my miniature pocket computer screen, and tracking those purchases to my doorstep. I would have told them they were nuts, but here we are today roughly 30 years later.

Last edited:
-
Back