Simple inexpensive LED lighting for 71-73 Darts

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
I have tried multiple different LED solutions for rear lighting, and some worked better than others, but this is the simplest, easiest solution yet.
Maxxima part number M42206R bought from Amazon.com

I have tried the plug in LED replacement bulbs, soldered boards and even LED strips.
These are by far the simplest solution I have found that work really well.

This is what they look like right out of the package.
Each light has 14 magnified red LED's behind a red poly carbonate lens for a very intense red light to them.
They come with buttons that cover the screw holes that we wouldn't use anyway, but it looks better with them covered.
SANY0032.JPG

This side shot shows how thin they are at just under 1/2 inch.
Housing is completely sealed and water submersible because they are actually a trailer light and can be used on boat trailers or in any harsh environment.
SANY0033.JPG

They fit near perfect inside your existing lenses with no modification to your lenses or lens housings.
A very small notch filed on each end of the new light wedges it perfectly between the two existing posts on the inside of the lens.
I used a spot of black 3M adhesive where the new light touched the posts inside the back of the lens to keep it where I positioned it.

They can be wired however you prefer, but what I did was to use an old 1157 bulb base with the glass and filaments removed and soldered the wires into that socket so it plugs in to the factory socket just like the original bulbs did.
There is a small stud for the wires on the backs of them but it clears the inside of the light housing easily.

SANY0034.JPG

This last pic pretty much tells the tale.
These lights use less than 1/4 amp each, so if they were used on all four lights front and back they use less than 1 amp total for all four if they were all on at the same time. (one 1157 uses about 2.1 amps)
They also come in amber if used in the front for park and turn lighting.
They have a 5 year warranty and were about $17 each from Amazon.com
Also DOT and SAE approved.

The pic below is one of these inside an unmodified tail/brake lens.

compared.jpg

My own car has modified lenses made partially from the OE lenses outer housing with smoke tinted lexan covers and they look really good with these because the LED's are not refracted like they are behind the factory lenses.
They are more like some of the newer cars with the high definition LED lights, but with a dark cover.
I just tested with a factory lens for the pictures, so you all could see what they look like without modifications to any OEM parts.

Last edited:
What are the actual dims?

The pic that say's Tail.

4.6 x 2.5 x 0.4 inches

I love stuff like this. Good find.

Oh, also just saw that they are available in white so maybe work well for backup lights as well?

I would think the white would make great backup lights, and I almost mentioned that in my post but forgot about it.

Very interesting. How do they work with the stock flashers, other bulbs,etc?

I suspect they are going to require the electronic flasher since the amp load is about 8 times less, but I don't really know for sure because all my lights are LED except the headlights and I already run the electronic flasher.
It might work just fine though if the car has regular bulbs in the dash, fender indicators and front lights.

-
Back