Single Turbo '65 Valiant Build

-

Jonnylightening

Reaction score
So Back in January I bought a 65 Valiant 100 4 door (1st A Body). It came all the way up from Florida as a parts car. I only paid $100 for the car eventhough it was missing alot of bits n pieces. The body is in great shape for the age. It has a few rust spots but nothin too bad. The past month Ive been researching and scratching my head on what to do to it. Finally ive decided to put my turbo and blowthrough carb to use. As far as Turbo, carb, pistons, and 318 thats all i have so far. I figured id get the thread started as i gather parts to get a better idea of what ill need. Any help/ideas are more then welcome.
IMG_20190209_175046866.jpg
IMG_20190209_175103794.jpg

Screenshot_20190305-084021~2.png

Heres the specs. on my current charger. I originally bought it for on my diesel, but i think a turboed A body will be much more fun!

The A/R of 1.32 seems huge, that may be a laggy turbo on a low revving teen. Its also pretty friggin big! Smaller turbos will generate boost at lower RPM's while huge turbos will be all top end. Diesel turbos are usually oversized because diesel motors run at lower RPM's but have serious exhaust volume where gas motors have velocity and tend to be smaller due to the higher spooling from the velocity. So in a nutshell, a diesel turbo (large A/R opposed to the size) will be laggy on a car, and a car turbo with a small A/R will spool like crazy on a diesel but will not make much power and will probably overspool out of its efficient range and make super heated air that will detonate. Using a turbo you have to mate to a motor you have is going to be rough. Ideally you want to purchase the turbo after you build the motor and input as much info into a turbo size calculator as possible. Youll be suprised on what it recommends, usually on the perceived 'dinky' side at that. Size does matter.

Turbo sounds like an s475, if you arent dead set on the 318 now would be the time to step up to a 360. There are quite a few of us running carbed 5.9 magnums, of the ones currently completed and running they are all seeming to get great results and power. With the added stroke you might find spooling that turbo not as daunting of a task as with the teen.

The A/R of 1.32 seems huge, that may be a laggy turbo on a low revving teen. Its also pretty friggin big! Smaller turbos will generate boost at lower RPM's while huge turbos will be all top end. Diesel turbos are usually oversized because diesel motors run at lower RPM's but have serious exhaust volume where gas motors have velocity and tend to be smaller due to the higher spooling from the velocity. So in a nutshell, a diesel turbo (large A/R opposed to the size) will be laggy on a car, and a car turbo with a small A/R will spool like crazy on a diesel but will not make much power and will probably overspool out of its efficient range and make super heated air that will detonate. Using a turbo you have to mate to a motor you have is going to be rough. Ideally you want to purchase the turbo after you build the motor and input as much info into a turbo size calculator as possible. Youll be suprised on what it recommends, usually on the perceived 'dinky' side at that. Size does matter.

Another thing to remember in regards to diesel vs gas motors, gas motors generaly run at 300-500 degree hotter egts or better, heat = energy, energy = spool. Thats why you see so many 4 cylinder guys having great sucess with the holset turbos.

Turbo sounds like an s475, if you arent dead set on the 318 now would be the time to step up to a 360. There are quite a few of us running carbed 5.9 magnums, of the ones currently completed and running they are all seeming to get great results and power. With the added stroke you might find spooling that turbo not as daunting of a task as with the teen.
Problem im having is i have several 318s laying around and 2 brand new boxes of TRW .030 forged pistons id like to use. If the 475 is too big im sure i can sell it and downgrade. Im trying to find a tried and trued 318 turbo recipe. only reason i was going to use the 475 was because i had it. Like I said any and all help is appreciated

The proper cam will make a world of difference. Valve events and overlap are 2 big parts of a good turbo cam. Ive found quite a bit of good info regarding this over on yellowbullet, john bewley of lil johns motorsports would be the guy to talk to if you just want to have someone spec a cam for you.

Also a good set of heads and proper converter, the 318 can be done just depends on intended use and budget. Look at the amount of 5.3 ls combos running that turbo. I know there are other factors at play there but cubes are cubes.

The proper cam will make a world of difference. Valve events and overlap are 2 big parts of a good turbo cam. Ive found quite a bit of good info regarding this over on yellowbullet, john bewley of lil johns motorsports would be the guy to talk to if you just want to have someone spec a cam for you.

Also a good set of heads and proper converter, the 318 can be done just depends on intended use and budget. Look at the amount of 5.3 ls combos running that turbo. I know there are other factors at play there but cubes are cubes.
Converter wont be a problem lol. Im plannin on running a 3 speed (A230)

Other than what i have its pretty much a clean slate.

Shane aka dart19666 works at crower spec a cam for my build. Couldn't you just look for and get a smaller exhaust ar that will fit the wheel too?

I bought a pair of On3performance turbos, hope to be up running soon and can give feed back, but they are the same size 76mm just with a .90 ar or 1.0 ar cant remember, but since your single look at be not to bad of a price

What are your goals for the car? What are you wanting to do ? Street/Strip , cruiser, drag only?

off the wall question but there is a local guy that has a 833OD trans. Ive read that the 1st gear is real low. My question is would I be able to use it or leave it?

A T6 turbo frame is about 12X10, as big as a car battery! Also the LS guys running that turbo are using a head that flows 240ish out of the box, >280@.500 ported... with the 318 (302) head flowing ~172@.500. Sell it for $$$ and get a smaller $$ matched size. I dont think a 4sp would benefit a turbo, youll never get it to spool in that low first. They like to push on something, like a shorter rear gear. 1:1 final is the same in both trans.

A T6 turbo frame is about 12X10, as big as a car battery! Also the LS guys running that turbo are using a head that flows 240ish out of the box, >280@.500 ported... with the 318 (302) head flowing ~172@.500. Sell it for $$$ and get a smaller $$ matched size. I dont think a 4sp would benefit a turbo, youll never get it to spool in that low first. They like to push on something, like a shorter rear gear. 1:1 final is the same in both trans.
Just to clear things up im basicslly just using the block. Im planning on running different cylinder heads. just not quite sure yet. In your opinion what should i look for in turbo size?.

There are so many variables: weight, rear gear, cam spec, etc. Its almost like buying a cam. Have a plan from the start. You got the forged 318 pistons so your going to run a 318, fair enough. find your heads and turbo profile grind and go from there. The turbo is like a fixed jet carb, there are so many out there and they are all unique. 5.0 guys ran turbos for years on stock builds. Id check their sites and see what worked for them with stock heads. Here is a 650hp 318 from Oz.
turbo318.png

"Just A 318": This Turbocharged, 650 Horsepower Chrysler Centura Is Killer! - BangShift.com

Like others have mentioned, an automatic is better suited for building boost in a race application but maybe there are ways around that with a 4 speed...like a smaller turbo that can spool quicker. If you wanted to stick with the big 475 turbo, one plus side to that is if you're able to make it fit you'll be ready to go big on the CID and not have to re-do your hot side.

...and if you wanted a smaller package that spooled a little faster, I think (I'm no expert) that one of those China 76/65 T4 .96AR turbos would be a good fit for a 318. And they are tiny compared to that 475.

-
Back