Single wire reverse light switch for 68 Barracuda

-

RON REAGLE

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I need a part number for a single wire reverse light switch for the 727 in my 68 BarracudThe local NAPA can only come up with the normal 3 pin style and a 2 spade style? Any help would be appreciated Thanks

I need a part number for a single wire reverse light switch for the 727 in my 68 BarracudThe local NAPA can only come up with the normal 3 pin style and a 2 spade style? Any help would be appreciated Thanks
Ron,
If your car is a single wire to the switch that screws into the transmission, that's neutral safety only.
The reverse light switch will be on the shifter. Does the car have column shift or floor shift?

upload_2021-4-28_16-35-38.png

upload_2021-4-28_16-41-2.png

Last edited:
^^Agree and the two terminal one is for a 4 speed stick I bet^^

My car is auto on the column and I looked up the switch part # 2857 240 I see that switch is actually on the steering column. I guess I'm looking for the neutral safety switch only for single wire? The one that was in the trans looked similar to the newer 3 pin style but only has 2 pins? I thought it might have been broken. Just trying to put it back together right and have everything work as it should.

Last edited:
The neutral safety switch for your model has a single brown wire routed from starter relay to the switch in the trans.

Yes that's the harness I have I'm trying to find the switch in the transmission.

Then this is part number
upload_2021-4-29_8-50-36.png

Store should be able to cross reference and most transmission shops at least used have a new and used ones.

'68 was a changeover year for the neutral safety switch. Early models used a single wire switch....real late in the year they went to a three wire one, which incorporated the backup lights. You can't just swap those switches! There are some internal differences too in the "rooster comb" inside the pan. Look up your transmission number to see if it's correct for your car's wiring. If not, you're in for some modifications to get things working properly. I guess what I'm getting at is, if your car is a single wire neutral car, you can use the later 3 wire transmission by just using the center pin of the switch. Get a 3 wire plug and splice the center wire to your existing single wire. If you have a 3 wire car and a single wire transmission, you're in for more work. In that case, you have to decide how stock you want to keep the car. The simplest option would be to rig up a toggle switch for backup lights. More expensive options would be to change parts inside the transmission to use the 3 wire neutral switch, or to do some column changes and/or wiring mods. The transmission part number is stamped into the driver's side pan rail along with a date code. If you post those numbers here, we can decode it for you.

Last edited:
I know the reverse lights worked on the car with the current switch in the column. What I didn't realize is the car would probably start in gear without the neutral safety switch working ? I've already purchased a new harness for the single wire and assumed it wouldn't be too difficult to find?

I know the reverse lights worked on the car with the current switch in the column. What I didn't realize is the car would probably start in gear without the neutral safety switch working ? I've already purchased a new harness for the single wire and assumed it wouldn't be too difficult to find?
The neutral safety switch provides a ground for starter relay coil when trans is in park or neutral. without it relay wouldn't close, starter wouldn't run, unless you jumper relay coil terminal to ground under the hood. That would cause starter to operate in any gear.

It's just one wire that goes from the starter relay to the neutral safety switch, correct? You mentioned a switch with more than one terminal which is what I was concerned about.

What was on the car is not correct. I'm trying to put things back together properly so after all the work (and $$$) Everything should work? Never realized the switch I need is so hard to find.

Have you got a pic or part#? I MAY have one, I gotta dig.
**edit** have you deciphered which switch you need? I dont see any trans # posted?
What was on the car is not correct. I'm trying to put things back together properly so after all the work (and $$$) Everything should work? Never realized the switch I need is so hard to find.

Same switch for 904 and 727. Looks correct to me.

Here's the numbers on the trans as well as the switch that came out of it with the broken pin

IMG_0943.JPG

That is the dual function switch for mid 68 and later. It does neutral safety on the center pin and reverse on the outer 2 pins. So now the numbers on your trans are a factor. At the same time you said you had a single wire to the trans. You said the reverse lamp switch inside the cabin did work. You could have a later model trans installed or the later rooster comb for that dual function switch installed in the earlier trans. Sorry transition years and parts changing causes so much confusion. My on history.... Our first 67 had single wire NSS in the trans, reverse lamp switch inside on the column. When i put the later model trans under it, I ran my single brown wire to center pin of dual function switch. Changed nothing about reverse lamp switch or wiring until the little plastic actuator pin sticking out of my steering column broke. At that point, I simply routed the 2 reverse lamp wires out and down to the 2 outer pins on that switch in the trans just like factory did to have reverse lamps again.

According to my information, your transmission is the late '68 version, which uses the 3 wire neutral safety switch. As RedFish mentioned, it could have been converted at some point in it's history, but, I show it being originally a late '68 727 from behind a 340 engine. Around Feb 1, 1968 seems to be the date in which they swapped over from the single wire to the 3 wire switch. Your date code indicates April 1, 1968. Personally, I'd get a new 3 wire switch, a wiring pigtail for it, and just use the center wire on the pigtail to attach to your existing neutral safety wire. This assumes the transmission is unmodified, and that your backup light switch in the column works properly. Another option (one that may have already been made) is to use a manual transmission starter relay, or ground the neutral safety terminal on an automatic relay. Keep in mind that in doing that, the car will now start in any gear, which could be dangerous to those unaware of that modification.

Last edited:
As long it has the late "rooster comb" inside, and based on cudamark's post it does, then if in the future you need to use the combined neutral& reverse switch, you can.

I guess I'll just reinstall the one I have and use the center pin with my 1 wire harness ? I really didn't pay enough attention when pulling the car apart I'm not sure how it was wired? How I ALWAYS seem to have the odd ball , 1 year only , transition stuff amazes me LOL. I got a great deal on a 79 Sportster when I used to ride motorcycles only to find out that's a 1 year only "transition" year bike. The list goes on...…...

Was there a 3 wire plug on that switch? I'd also take look a the starter relay to see which one it is and if it's been modified too.

-
Back