Six pack to The summit

-
Now the easy part is over. Just look how direct the air flow is for the end carbs air and fuel path is for the end ports! The question is multi level.
Does t e center carb flow much? How much? Is the carbs capacity being taxed?

On the opposite side, it’s not so sweet. The lower plenum runs very deep but the other side (inside cylinders) get a better straight shot while the upper plenums “other cylinders” do not have such a excellent shot.

While these outside carbs are open, the amount of draw and the draws quality is of and in question. Shy of cutting and drilling the intake, there isn’t a way to say for sure how well that center carb does and the Absolute and AFB of flow goes will remain unknown. Except I’ll say, again, there’s no way to predict what happens because that’s the way it works.

Im having massive posting issues.... I can’t seem to get a picture to load and I have been waiting between 15 to 30 minutes as of right now to post a reply.
(Time is now 11:20pm. It should be interesting to see when this actually be time stamped!)

It's my understanding that Chrysler six packs were different than other brands, in that the outboard carbs had idle circuits in order to keep fresh fuel in the bowls. This indicates a necessity of the open plenum in order to offer a more balanced signal to all the carburetors.

I realize the flow of the various runners seems counter intuitive, but remember that air is elastic and will continue in a given direction even after the signal is stopped (i.e. air in an intake port when the valve closes. Only the air at the valve proper is stopped, the rest is pressure change).

Maybe I didn't understand the question but that's my opinion on the discussion. Tagged for future reading as I have a big block setup around here somewhere.

Tryin still

2C2316EF-1FD9-4236-B509-3331CF0D4516.jpeg

98DE9B09-1038-483B-837D-BB631DC2B381.jpeg

4226F0FD-112D-486C-8997-828562F27C6D.jpeg

please state your goal for the system. Six pac intakes are short runner, single plane. Any mix in the plenum gets delivered in some percentage to each port. How much depends on where the mix comes from at that moment. Distribution during tip in of the outboards is spotty but it clears quickly as they come on board. The old system was a cheater solenoid which maxed out at 250hp iirc. That was old spray at tech, and I’d wager the NX plate is much better. But still limited by volume of a single plate. Hence the comment about port injection. I ran plates for a few years.
My intent is to determine the best type of nitrous system to build for a six-pack application with a TA manifold without hacking up the manifold .You mentioned you ran plates previously did you find that some plugs ran hotter than others or did it seem to be well balanced with your system.

It's my understanding that Chrysler six packs were different than other brands, in that the outboard carbs had idle circuits in order to keep fresh fuel in the bowls.
Correct

This indicates a necessity of the open plenum in order to offer a more balanced signal to all the carburetors.
No it doesn’t. The best plenum of the 6 pack is not an open plenum. It is generous for it’s size in terms as on the engine delivered.

I realize the flow of the various runners seems counter intuitive, but remember that air is elastic and will continue in a given direction even after the signal is stopped (i.e. air in an intake port when the valve closes. Only the air at the valve proper is stopped, the rest is pressure change).
Elastic? No. Air has weight so it behaves as such. Inertia! There is no pressure change in the whole of the intake manifold, just at the valve on closing up to the end of the runner at best depending on the intake design and what cylinder is opening up next or is already open. It’s really not pressure but a dead stop of everything that was moving.

Maybe I didn't understand the question but that's my opinion on the discussion. Tagged for future reading as I have a big block setup around here somewhere.
The question is, what or how the air flow under the center carb is and what it is doing and how well is it doing it under what flow amount.

My intent is to determine the best type of nitrous system to build for a six-pack application with a TA manifold without hacking up the manifold .You mentioned you ran plates previously did you find that some plugs ran hotter than others or did it seem to be well balanced with your system.
I’d do a plate system, every carb pad having a jets.
Next would be just the end carbs. I would not do just the center.

The best is what your not willing to do.

72Dart hit the nail on the head. There's no other reason to own one.

And all the discussions about flow and what carb does what are kinda beside the point.....take one look at the intake - a dual plane with plenty of 'make it all fit' bends. Technically best described as 'yucky'.

It's like discussing which EGR system is best for the quarter mile.

And all the discussions about flow and what carb does what are kinda beside the point.....take one look at the intake - a dual plane with plenty of 'make it all fit' bends. Technically best described as 'yucky'.

So I as I stated in the very first post this is for people sharing information about six packs not negative opinions or statements. There is no best system you want to compare dual planes to single planes to pro chargers to nitrous you're missing the point. So the only pointless comments are yours!

It is a useful statement; I'm hoping it will help you save valuable time that could be spent thinking about something that has benefit.

It is a useful statement; I'm hoping it will help you save valuable time that could be spent thinking about something that has benefit.
Seems to me your coming to this thread to cause problems.

I'm trying so hard... So are you finished now good troll on .

if he like it it's a good enough reason , plus they do run well on a 340 edit or a 408 , plenty of cfm . if i hsad the money i would put a 6pac are the 440 6pac carbs bigger as in more cfm ? could they be osed on the small block intake ?

Last edited:
So just let me clarify, the title of the post is six pack to The summit. My intentions were to have a thread to share information. I am no way implying that it is the ultimate system for for creating maximum horsepower with a small block Mopar. But to the 500 horsepower range it can hold its own.

My draw to the six pack is its uniqueness, mult carbureted factory set up, one year of production , era correct system 340 style. Making it just about as unique as it comes in the production Mopar world.

So just let me clarify, the title of the post is six pack to The summit. My intentions were to have a thread to share information. I am no way implying that it is the ultimate system for for creating maximum horsepower with a small block Mopar. But to the 500 horsepower range it can hold its own.
I've only got mine for the Wow factor. A good intake & carb would blow me away on real power numbers. Go to a car show? Oh look another 4 bbl intake with a chrome Air Cleaner. No biggie. Hey Honey look it's a Six Pack. Stops them everytime. Limited number of ones still working on the street? Increase the wow factor. And to the people that can still get them to function properly is a lost art. I've got no problem staying in the 6 Pack club. :)

I've only got mine for the Wow factor. A good intake & carb would blow me away on real power numbers. Go to a car show? Oh look another 4 bbl intake with a chrome Air Cleaner. No biggie. Hey Honey look it's a Six Pack. Stops them everytime. Limited number of ones still working on the street? Increase the wow factor. And to the people that can still get them to function properly is a lost art. I've got no problem staying in the 6 Pack club. :)
www.hotrod.com/articles/mopp-0108-dyno-testing this article is one of the best small block Mopar test

Very comprehensive test on a hot 360 Street strip build

Was that test done with factory exhaust manifolds. It's kind of hard for me to read. Though I've seen that posted before

I've been in R&D for 40 years for the big 3. Won't say which company. We share information. Yes it was factory exhaust. The numbers were on the high side. But still real Dyno data sheets.

-
Back