skinny seals

-

mikec

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, got a question on a 904 rebuild, the stock direct clutch inner and outer seals are wider than new replacements that came in kit, performance auto 12701, are they a problem ? or just put in . The original inner seal number is 1942396 , only available as nos, the new inner seal is flush with in groove where old was above groove . Would like to do it just once any opinions or thoughts ? thanks
IMG_0445.jpg
IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

For the 904 transmission, there are two different gasket and seal kits. The early one fits from 1960 to 1971, and the later one fits 1972 - on. I don't know specifically what the difference in the kit might be, and because I retired from the parts industry a number of years ago I don't have access to kits to look at and see what the difference might be. Unfortunately the individual seals, even when I worked were not available as separate pieces, but only in a gasket kit. You might want to check with a local transmission shop and see if they have some of those lip seals loose. If that doesn't work for you, check and see if you have a Transtar, or W.I.T. outlet near you and order a complete gasket and seal kit from them. Of course, you'll have to tell them the year of the transmission to make sure you don't repeat the problem you've got already.
Hope this helps.

thanks transman, i ordered 71 and below seal and a 1988 style wide seal from global transmission, i'll post picks , hopeully 1 is right ,had skinny seal in but failed air test, so redoing seal.

thanks transman, i ordered 71 and below seal and a 1988 style wide seal from global transmission, i'll post picks , hopeully 1 is right ,had skinny seal in but failed air test, so redoing seal.
Glad you got them, and I hope it works out for you.

IIRC the pistons will tell you which ones to use. Each style piston has a matching seal requirement.
You cannot put a wide seal on a skinny seal piston.
You can put a skinny seal on a wide seal piston, but it has no support and a redflag will go off in your head saying "something is wrong with this picture"

-
Back