SL6 to V8 swap

-

ESP47

Reaction score
Hey guys, just bought a 68 Barracuda with a slant six and a 3 on the tree. Already have a slant as my daily driver and was looking to make this my v8 project. I'm not totally up on the v8 stuff since I've never owned one so I wanted to come here first to get some information. I'm kind of set on wanting a 340 with a 4 speed OD transmission and an 8 3/4 rear end with 3.23 gears. I was just wondering if you guys had any tips? Like are there certain rear ends I should be getting or what to look out for. Also I'm noticing prices are just all over the place on this stuff. I'm just looking for everything to be in running condition, not brand new or anything. What kind of prices should I be looking for (especially on the rear end) so I don't get gipped or end up having to spend triple just to get it rebuilt? Thanks

I,d start looking for an a-body 8 3/4 rear,prices vary between SBP and LBP also 1 legger or sure-grip?There,s also the 8 1/4 route depends on HP?Check for sale Forum.

May I suggest that you first check out this site using the search function because many members have extensive write-ups on the subject. There is just so much info here already. When you come up with specific questions, you will never find a shortage of answers and opinions here.

To start with you rear end question. You will need at least 8.75 rear for the 340 if you want to beat on the car and have the rear survive. You have many options in this regard. An original A-body 8.75 rear is shorter than one made for the larger body cars. Because relatively few were installed in A-bodies and because fewer survive to this day, they are a little harder to find at cheap prices. People also get 8.75 rears from B- and C-bodies and cut them down to size. Otehrs go for the Ford 9 inch, but that is sacrilege. There is also the aftermarket option, such as Moser, but that will cost you.

-
Back