slant 6 cable shift question

-

Vali68

Reaction score
I have a slant 6 auto tranny with cables from a 70 Dart. Will this tranny work in a 65 Dart?

You aint got shift cables from a 70 Dart. They were not cable shifted in 1970. I think 1965 was the last year for that.

This is a response to a PM that Vali68 sent me, but I think best to post here to close-the-loop, and I prefer answering technical questions in a post everyone can see:

Hello Bill. I appreciate your reply's to my threads.

I was wondering if you could tell me if this transmission is a link transmission or a cable transmission. I see there are 2 cables on the tranny and also see a place for linkage to hookup.

It came with a slant 6 out of a 70 Dart.

Thanks,

attachment.php

Definitely a cable-shift, by the fwd cable w/ round adjuster. The aft cable is for the park lock. The fixed rear flange mates to a ball & trunnion U-joint on early drive-shafts. There is also a lever input for kick-down above the shift cable, which is the same as later trannys.

Your tranny is for cars up to 1965, with a slant six engine (high starter mount). No idea how it came to be in a 1970 Dart or how they managed to hook it up.

You should close out your other posts on this same topic so you don't leave readers hanging.

From the rear flange on the trans, I would say yes. It would be better to get a side shot of the driver's side of the trans to see for sure.

This is a response to a PM that Vali68 sent me, but I think best to post here to close-the-loop, and I prefer answering technical questions in a post everyone can see:

Hello Bill. I appreciate your reply's to my threads.

I was wondering if you could tell me if this transmission is a link transmission or a cable transmission. I see there are 2 cables on the tranny and also see a place for linkage to hookup.

It came with a slant 6 out of a 70 Dart.

Thanks,

attachment.php

Definitely a cable-shift, by the fwd cable w/ round adjuster. The aft cable is for the park lock. The fixed rear flange mates to a ball & trunnion U-joint on early drive-shafts. There is also a lever input for kick-down above the shift cable, which is the same as later trannys.

Your tranny is for cars up to 1965, with a slant six engine (high starter mount). No idea how it came to be in a 1970 Dart or how they managed to hook it up.

You should close out your other posts on this same topic so you don't leave readers hanging.

... It would be better to get a side shot of the driver's side of the trans to see for sure.
No need. The cable that loops in front of the tranny is the shift cable. You can clearly see where it goes in the front driver's side, with the adjusting wheel (wouldn't you lever shifters like that easy adjustment?). It is even a good shift cable, that wasn't melted by the exhaust pipe like many are.

No need. The cable that loops in front of the tranny is the shift cable. You can clearly see where it goes in the front driver's side, with the adjusting wheel (wouldn't you lever shifters like that easy adjustment?). It is even a good shift cable, that wasn't melted by the exhaust pipe like many are.

Now I see it. I got distracted from the one at the rear and didn't even notice the front one. :banghead:

Cool we all agree, but Vali68 seems to have drifted away. Another fly-by inquirer?

Not in any way a fly by. I just been taken care of other business and had to step away. I appreciate all the replies. The guy who needed the tranny for his 65 Dart has found another source. But I will keep this info in mind when I go to get rid of the tranny that I posted in this thread. Thanks to you all for responding.

Not in any way a fly by. I just been taken care of other business and had to step away. I appreciate all the replies. The guy who needed the tranny for his 65 Dart has found another source. But I will keep this info in mind when I go to get rid of the tranny that I posted in this thread. Thanks to you all for responding.

So, what's the bottom line here? Is this a 65 transmission, or earlier. They were different in 64 & 65 as for shift linkage, right? And is this one for sale? I may need one for my 65 Valiant. Assuming it would work behind the 273.
:cheese:

I may need one for my 65 Valiant. Assuming it would work behind the 273.
:cheese:
No go. The case is for a slant six only. Note the high location of the starter.

If interested, I have a 1965 727 small block tranny that would fit your 273 and work with your 1965 car's unique shift pattern (1 yr only for cable-shifts), sitting in my shed. You must hammer over the "pinch weld" at the fwd end of your tranny tunnel to fit a 727 (have read). I have not installed, so going by what the seller said, but from a Mopar show w/ knowledgable sellers. You can get 727 rebuild kits cheap on rockauto. I have a son in San Diego, so we drive there maybe once per year. PM if interested and can wait at least 6 months. I recall the parking cable cover is cracked (stupid mistake I made) and I'd have to pull it out and see what parts it has and condition.

-
Back