Slant 6 head flow

-
Reaction score
So Ive playing around with a slant head that I have, a couple actually...I have a stock valved '67 cast head that Have done bowl work to and another that has big valves 1.70 1.44 that I have worked pretty good..

Initially when I flowed the big valve head 'as is' with nothing more than its machine shop seat blend from the larger seat being cut, they flowed no more than 166cfm....keep in mind stock is 160'ish on the intake....

Next I flowed the stock valve head that I had done a conservative bowl blend to about 9 yrs ago..lol...'I never got to finishing that head', but none the less...it flowed 170cfm... just shows the importance of follow though..as in, if you are going to go with larger valves....you MUST blend them in right. If the machine shop had done no smoothing at all...I bet the big valve head would have flowed LESS than stock.lol

Now onto the big valve head for now...
In typical fashoin 'after a good amount of bowl work and guide shortening'.. I started playing with the roof, streamlining the guide and trying to equalize the roofs height on each side of the guide, 1st mistake...the lower side of the guide is not cast very thick so u cannot raise the low side of the roof/guide as much as the other, even as cast...or you will go into water...so that lesson learned and epoxy applied...ha ha I then flowed the that port with the work done to that point and saw 175cfm At that point I moved to the line of sight approach to the valve and realized the floor and walls were all that was left...so I worked the walls straighter to the bowl and removed .040-.050 off of the floor and lengthened the floors flattish entrance and then worked it down toward the valve, stopping about an 1 1/4 away to give this exaggeration of a nice ramp/ssr 'rough total removed from the floor between ssr & entrance was about .080'....I then blended the 3 sections and then flow tested again= 185cfm

The flow could go up a bit with a back cut and real performance vj, the vj on these is something u see on a tractor...lol...but none the less an idea of what u can do..

btw Keith black was quoted as saying the slant 6 intake ports were some of the best as cast flowing inline 6 heads he'd ever seen.....I wonder if the ''as cast'' mention was a disclaimer.lol

I will get pics up soon

1wild&crazyguy;
Ever do a cylinder head for someone else? Any idea on a price?
~Michael

I do work for other people as well.

As for cost.. it depends on the heads, flow goal or generally=amount of work...but in comparison Im cheaper than most since there is really no overhead.

If anyone want to have heads ported, pm me.

200 CFM@ .400 lift? My big ole ***.

There are numerous heads in the racing series flowing that. Mike Jefferies can hook you up with one.

Check out Cameron Tilley's head on the last chart. It has been done numerous times.

There are numerous heads in the racing series flowing that. Mike Jefferies can hook you up with one.

Check out Cameron Tilley's head on the last chart. It has been done numerous times.

I read the whole thing. It said clearly those numbers could be questionable. I question them.

I read the whole thing. It said clearly those numbers could be questionable. I question them.

I am the one that put the list together and made notes on each head when we flowed them. At the time it was flowed we questioned them and there is a chance the numbers were off 2-3cfm but not 20 cfm. We went back and took an older head that had already been flowed before and flowed it on the same scale as the 199cfm head. Showed exactly what you would except so the 199cfm is believable. Cameron's head is by far the best slant six head I have ever seen. No fall off after .500 lift and good low numbers. Cameron put a lot of work into that head and it really shows. It also backs up the cfm numbers you are questioning.

Doc should have the original word document somewhere with all of the notes of comparison between heads as far as porting, bowl work...etc. Might give the original poster some ideas with his project.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info. That's really interesting.....and frankly almost unbelievable numbers for such low lift.......but you seem to have the research and info to back it up. I hope maybe I will have that kinda luck with mine. I think I have a porter that can find it if anyone can. :)

..and I looked at Cameron's head numbers.....that's just nuts. lol

:cheers:I heard you were gonna copy my work, so I said f it.LOL!

I'll get some up soon bro.

Well if you havent gotten that garage patched up I will just walk in and grab it. Save myself a few hours worth of grinding man!! I was just looking through the thread on Jared's old car that MadDart is doing. That guy has some fabrication talent and the greenbacks to get it done. How the hell you been man?

Jeff

Well if you havent gotten that garage patched up I will just walk in and grab it. Save myself a few hours worth of grinding man!! I was just looking through the thread on Jared's old car that MadDart is doing. That guy has some fabrication talent and the greenbacks to get it done. How the hell you been man?

Jeff

LOL...yeah huh..
I got the wall closed finally.
Been good, just trying to do 10 things at once most of the time..and u know that usually go's...

Im gonna do some more work on this head, different stuff on each intake, basically experiment with it...since i wont be using it on anything

LOL...yeah huh..
I got the wall closed finally.
Been good, just trying to do 10 things at once most of the time..and u know that usually go's...

Im gonna do some more work on this head, different stuff on each intake, basically experiment with it...since i wont be using it on anything

i was thinking of just raising the opening of the port and welding the bottom to fix the "view of the valve" issue...

I am gettin closer to shippin mine everyday. It will be there before Christmas.

-
Back