[WANTED] Slant 6 Hydraulic Rocker Shaft Bolt

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Contact seller
I need the rear most rocker shaft bolt for a slant 6 with the hydraulic lifter cylinder head. It is the one with 5/16" threads and the 3/8 shoulder. Thank you drive through.

We do. But they're put away and lost in the bin somewhere .lol
Hens teeth, chicken balls. Very rare and hard to find depending on your location and eye sight. No pun intended.

I don't have that bolt, But on the good news wagon trail, I'm headed up there with your new rear end sometime in the next couple weeks.

I don't have that bolt, But on the good news wagon trail, I'm headed up there with your new rear end sometime in the next couple weeks.

Cool Roy. Just say when. We'll be ready. Thank you!

I still need this bolt. I know someone has one. Please?

Do you have a part number?
I have a couple of odd NOS sources.
Never know what might show up.

The bolt you are talking about...it's limited to hydraulic engines only...right? Your "wanted post" had me go look at the bolt in my rocker shaft. Mine is a 3/8X16X3" straight shank bolt. My engine is a solid lifter engine.
Norm

The bolt you are talking about...it's limited to hydraulic engines only...right? Your "wanted post" had me go look at the bolt in my rocker shaft. Mine is a 3/8X16X3" straight shank bolt. My engine is a solid lifter engine.
Norm

Well.......sorta. I am finding out that sometime in the late 1970s even the solid lifter engines got the bolt as well, to help keep from installing the rocker shaft upside down and or backwards. Makes sense.

Part number for the special rear rocker arm shaft bolt is 3870322. The number first shows up in the 1975 parts catalog and continues being used into the 1980's.

Part number for the special rear rocker arm shaft bolt is 3870322. The number first shows up in the 1975 parts catalog and continues being used into the 1980's.

Thank you!

I got concerned there for a bit. I've always questioned the amount of clearance on the rear bolt, that allows the flow of oil to the rocker shaft. As best I can tell, there is a little more than .050 clearance between the oil port and the shank of the bolt on my engine.

I haven't looked into it, so don't know for sure. Whoudn't it be possible to use a 3/8 dia bolt, and reduce the lower dia, and put the smaller threads on it?

That's the plan if I cannot find one, yes.

That's the plan if I cannot find one, yes.
The way bolts are made, the steel is relatively soft when the blank is headed into a bolt and the threads are rolled in.
Then the finished bolt is heated and quenched to bring the strength up.
Much of the strength is in the outer shell of the bolt as that is where the bolt is hardest. When the original outside is cut away for a smaller diameter and new threads are cut in, as opposed to being rolled in when the bolt was manufactured, the new threads will have less strength than an OE bolt of the same thread size and diameter. I think the torque on the rocker shaft mounting bolts is 25 ft lbs, but keep that in mind and don’t over tighten it.
The reduced strength could be avoided by turning out a sleeve to the correct diameter and brazing or silver soldering it to the under head of the correct size bolt.

The way bolts are made, the steel is relatively soft when the blank is headed into a bolt and the threads are rolled in.
Then the finished bolt is heated and quenched to bring the strength up.
Much of the strength is in the outer shell of the bolt as that is where the bolt is hardest. When the original outside is cut away for a smaller diameter and new threads are cut in, as opposed to being rolled in when the bolt was manufactured, the new threads will have less strength than an OE bolt of the same thread size and diameter. I think the torque on the rocker shaft mounting bolts is 25 ft lbs, but keep that in mind and don’t over tighten it.
The reduced strength could be avoided by turning out a sleeve to the correct diameter and brazing or silver soldering it to the under head of the correct size bolt.

I know. That's why I'm holding out for the correct bolt. It's not like this is going together tomorrow. I have plenty of time to find one. I'm just having a difficult time believing nobody has one.....or maybe nobody wants to help.

I HAD one among all the rest of the hydraulic valve gear that CAME with the head, but I sold it all trying to help someone out, because I figured I could find another one. Funny. I should have kept it instead of trying to help someone. But that's not how my mind works. I like helping others. I just wish they liked helping me too.

Rusty, I think people pick up the peanut head and don't think about the rocker shaft.
I had to get one for my Lancer build cause I just had the head.
The head I just got from Demonracer I made sure had the rocker shaft and that bolt.
I am trying to find you another one.

Rusty, I think people pick up the peanut head and don't think about the rocker shaft.
I had to get one for my Lancer build cause I just had the head.
The head I just got from Demonracer I made sure had the rocker shaft and that bolt.
I am trying to find you another one.

Thanks! That would be much appreciated.

I might have one. There is a mid eighties truck engine laying out by the back fence. I think my brother and his buddy’s were were using it for target practice. I will look this weekend

I might have one. There is a mid eighties truck engine laying out by the back fence. I think my brother and his buddy’s were were using it for target practice. I will look this weekend

That would be cool. I'll take a few if I can find them. That way if anybody needs one, I will send it to them.

That ain't cool about the target practice though. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back