Slant 6 on a V8 k member?

-

Caleb H

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1972 Swinger that originally had a 318 in it and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is possible/ what would be needed to make it slant 6 car without changing the k member. The motor I'm looking at buying is a 225 out of an '82 d150 so I know at least an oil pan change would be needed. Any help appreciated, Thanks.

Not many folks want to go down in power. The main supplier of swap motor brackets for Mopar - Schumacher - doesn't offer anything to go to a slant six.

318 and 360's are still fairly easy to find. I'd keep it as a V8, but it's your car.

Your best bet would be to replace the V8 K member with a slant 6 K member. It isn't really feasible to try to get the slant to fit the V8 mounts. While I am a fan of the slant 6, you would be better served with a V8 in this case.
Jus Sayin.....

6 cyl K's are a dime a dozen .Someone out there will give you one for free probably .If you are going with the 6 then change the K . I get what you want to do,I prefer the 6 myself.Why pay extra for gas to drive if you aren't into all this high performance stuff.I love my 6's and when you factor in the gas savings over 100,000 miles it's a lot of money you can use for other stuff.In my case that is 5 years of driving to get that return.Not all of us want to mash the pedal and get pinned back in the seat I don't know if i'd use an 82 motor though.I'd go with a mid 60's 170 and go for the 24 mpg

K member aside, you will need a passenger car oil pan (center sump) and matching oil pickup. You will need a slant six specific transmission (different bell housing than V8's). I don't recall whether the 82 trucks were computerized ignition or just used the 'standard' electronic ignition. If the truck engine uses a computer (behind the battery or on the air cleaner) you will need to get something that will work with the 72 car- either points or electronic distributor. If the truck engine is a 2-bbl (Super Six) that will be a bonus, but you will need the auto trans kick down linkage (specific to Super Six) if you go that route.

You will also need the car engine brackets and mounts, the dipstick and tube. The truck dipstick goes through the pan but cars go through the block where there is a plugged hole.

K member swap would be easiest but if you can cut and weld, you can modify yours.

The best way to do this job is to buy a rust bucket valiant or dart from 1968 - 1975 and just use it as a donor car for all the needed parts other than the motor unless the rust bucket motor is good then you'd even have that.

Okay Thanks all for the input, I'll likely be doing a magnum swap instead since I've got free access to one in a truck that's been sitting in my family's yard for a few years cause of a bad transmission and fuel system.

6 cyl K's are a dime a dozen .Someone out there will give you one for free probably .If you are going with the 6 then change the K . I get what you want to do,I prefer the 6 myself.Why pay extra for gas to drive if you aren't into all this high performance stuff.I love my 6's and when you factor in the gas savings over 100,000 miles it's a lot of money you can use for other stuff.In my case that is 5 years of driving to get that return.Not all of us want to mash the pedal and get pinned back in the seat I don't know if i'd use an 82 motor though.I'd go with a mid 60's 170 and go for the 24 mpg
I can’t find a slant k member for life of me for cars I want it for. People throw them away. I want one for a e body

Okay Thanks all for the input, I'll likely be doing a magnum swap instead since I've got free access to one in a truck that's been sitting in my family's yard for a few years cause of a bad transmission and fuel system.
Magnumswap.com
Motor mounts Transdapt

Sounds like your plans have changed, but a little advice for "the next time." If you get into another situation like this, "take advantage." You should have been able to find someone who WANTED a V8 K, from a /6--who would have swapped them AND DONE THE LABOR for you and maybe still payed a little boot.

I'm 73, more crippled now than ever, but I HAPPILY would have done this if I needed a V8 K

............Back in '13...............
k3-jpg.jpg

lawdie-my-arth-a-ritis.227050

k2-jpg.jpg

front33-jpg.jpg

-
Back