Slant 6 on a V8 K Member?

-

Mikes3Point

Reaction score
Have a customer vehicle here in the shop who's K member has multiple cracks in various welds and torsion bar sleeves. He brought me a QA1 K member but it's the V8 style. I've tried multiple sources for conversion mounts but, as we all know, nobody goes from an 8 to a 6.

Anybody got insight? Save the day? Be the hero?

Thanks for your time all. Much appreciated.

people throw away 6 cylinder K's all the time it shouldn't be too hard to get one of those.What year is this car?

1967 Dart.

I'd consider welding it up but there's some pretty heavy damage around the steering box mount.

67 is a good year K frame "to get rid of" because the idler arm is a "one year only" deal at the K frame end. Go find yourself a 68--72 /6 K, buy a new 68-72 idler and don't look back.

Or if you do not have factory anti-roll (sway) bar, you can even use the 73/ later frame and convert the engine to "spool" type mounts

67Dart273 makes good points.
Also check area where Lower Control Arm pivot passes through K. Another area that can be bad but easily fixed by welding in extra material.

My apologies, it's a '68.

Found one, hopefully it's good. Wasn't cheap...

Thanks for your help all. If it were my car and it wasn't stuck on one of my racks, I'd probably get the later model unit. Those seems much more plentiful right now and the price is a lot better. Actually, I'd just use this QA1 unit as a sign to swap a V8 in... He already had given me a front end rebuild kit for the '68 though and I'm not sure what's different across them.

-
Back