Slant 6 push rod pops off?

-

johnnycuda

JohnnyCuda's 68
Reaction score
flat cam? i have a slant 6 in this 65 vaiant i just got and the rocker popped off the push rod
what causes this flat cam?

Bent pushrod or if the car had not been run in a while, I believe a stuck valve could cause that problem. For example, the lifter and pushrod drop with cam rotation to allow valve to close. since the valve is stuck open the rod has the opportunity to drop out of the pocket in the rocker arm and then just ride around there in the engine. Same thing happened to me on my old slant. I checked the valve and made sure the lifter was correctly placed in its hole. I put the push rod back after I verified it was straight and rotated the engine slowly by hand to ensure the whole works was okay. Then back to normal operation like it never happened.

I had the same happen to my slant twice in one day(luckily pulling into work and in my driveway). Like above i had a sticky valve because the car sat for a while. I pulled the valve cover poured some marvels mystery oil over the valve springs when it was running and havent had a problem in 3 years of everyday 60 miles a day driving.

cool so marvel mystery oil in with oil or over vales or both

I know that the lifters can get stuck in there too. Try removing them from an old motor that has not run for ever, they build a ridge of crud over them that prevents them from just lifting out with a magnet.

so i did the marvel mystery sticky valve theory and it worked

-
Back