Slant 6 Rebuild

-

Cal Tonsley

Reaction score
I’m about to rebuild a 68 225 /6, it will remain basically stock but using quality components for the build with long life reliability as the primary goal. Just wondering what recommendations people have regarding gasket set and rear main seal in particular? Any other component recommendations (oil pump, cam, bearings etc) are more than welcome too, thanks.

Interested in the responses going to be doing one also in a few week. I do prefer Fellpro gasket sets for stock motors. Melling oil pumps and Cloyes timing chains.

Mines at the machine shop as we speak just waiting on the results to see exactly what I need. Tell you what RA has some slant stuff on clearance right now look in the discount thread it shows you how to access it in the RSS box

Not Fast, just "Less Slow"

I COMPLETELY rebuilt my 225 as shown in the link. I have not updated the thread for quite awhile but it's on my to do list. Anyway, I got it running 3 yrs ago and have put 8000 miles on it. Engine runs perfect and have not touched it since, didn't even replace the points. I've driven it to Carlisle 320 miles each way twice. Cruised Woodward twice. "Raced" it at Clay City Kentucky last year.

King bearings, Hastings rings, Silv-o-lite pistons in a rebuild kit and parts recommended by Slant Six Dan.
Sent the cam to Oregon Cam for regrinding. (Stock lift was only .375)
Pocket ported head and had hardened seats installed.
Gasket matched intake and exhaust. Radiused some sharp corners where I could reach. Widened exhaust outlet in manifold.
Found a like new 2" exhaust system for $40 at a local swap meet. (Was gonna build a 2-1/4" system but lucked out)
Best time with terrible 3-on-the-tree.......18.5 sec. But it's a driver, not a racer.

-
Back