Slant 6 to smallblock

-

Evan Dutch

Reaction score
Looking at a 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. The car is an original slant six car. The intake and exhaust manifolds have been removed from it for quite some time so the original slant six is most likely locked up. I have had a 1975 360 block, and a full forged kit to make it into a 408 stroker. I have been looking to finish the engine and put it into something for quite some time. I would like to put it into this dart but I am not sure if the slant six to small block mounts will be enough. Or should I change the entire K member to a v8 K member. I know I will have to change the torsion bars to the larger, stronger v8 ones. Should I change the entire K member or should the aftermarket mounts be fine?

The Schumacher mounts are great for the spool type k frames. Hopefully its a disc car, but probably not. Regardless, I wouldn't swap k's.

Torsion bars are even a maybe as some slants had the same bars as v8 cars pending accessories. Im sure you know but trans is different, and a 7.25 is not going to live long behind a 408. So add a rear end and driveshaft to the list. You have quite a parts list ahead of you, so the swap mounts are deff the way id go. I ran the exact schumacher mounts you need deep into the tens with my stock slant k frame and torsion bars. Ran the bar numbers and they were the same as a 318 car if I recall.

Slant 6 bars are great and preferred for drag racing. If you are building a mostly strait line machine even on a street car stay with the slant 6 bars. Ride height is adjustable so that is not an issue. If you want a performance car that turns then I would definitely go with stiffer bars.

Having done this myself, I used the Schumacher Creative services kit. You will have to address the following;

Larger radiator and shroud
Small block trans
(If you change from a 904 to a 727, or the other way around, a driveshaft will ether be needed or cut down, stick with the same model trans for the swap.)
IF you have the 7-1/4 size rear, Inseriously suggest at least a swap to a 8-1/4, 8-3/4 is better for high HP/TQ cars. North of 450 HP.
Suspension wise, you will like it when you upgrade the T bars and springs but it is not an need now thing. It can wait.
Anti roll/sway bars are also nice & also fall in "Not needed now" but for surely they will be nice.

On my /6 - V8 swap, I did not add anything except new rear springs from springs and things (AKA ESPO.com)
1 inch over bend springs added a really nice rake to the car.

Small parts are always needed and there is nothing really to worry about. Extra wire and terminals help with what you have all ready.

It was generally speaking, pretty easy to do and it went very quickly. For exhaust, Inwent with regular Hooker Comps and a Jegs exhaust at 2-1/2.
For the rear I did a 3.21 geared 8-1/4. Very inexpensive and it can take some decent power for sure.
The trans was a 904 like the /6 had so the drive shaft bolted right in.

Thanks guys for the replies. I appreciate it. Thankfully it is a disc car. I already have a smallblock 727 to use, but it sounds easier to use a 904.

You can always take the k-member out, reinforce the welds, box in the steering and the use the conversion mounts

can look through this thread if ya want. i just converted our dart to a 360 from a slantty... ours uses the older mounts to your spool mount is the biggest difference.. i think you'll be fine with a conversion mount.. build thread for jamies dart..:)

Thanks! I looked at the thread. Saw that hotchkis sway bar you had. How did it work for you? asking because I work for hotchkis :)

Thanks! I looked at the thread. Saw that hotchkis sway bar you had. How did it work for you? asking because I work for hotchkis :)

haven't put it on yet.. not sure if i am or not.. its so huge looking. may look funny under there..

feel free to send some sample parts my way, ill bolt them on and let you know how they work ;)

Where's the bs flag?!?! LOL!
IF your making some good power, the smaller T bars are probably what you want. More, better weight transfer.
Of course, canyon carvers require a thicker set.

Where's the bs flag?!?!

bs_flag.gif

feel free to send some sample parts my way, ill bolt them on and let you know how they work ;)

I installed a HW 5906 last weekend. Looks great, nice hardware, bolted right up... only thing I had to do was make the holes in the k-member a bit bigger. Tightened the feel of the car right up... a little pricey here in Canada but what isn't?
Cheers

End of my thread has a few pics.
67 Dart slant 6 to V8 conversion

Last edited:
they got the motor mount conversion kit in the classic industeries so where the k member dosen't have be changed

-
Back