Slant 6 to V8 magnum swap

-

Moparmadness408

Reaction score
I have a 1967 Plymouth valiant I will be running a 408 Stroker that utilizes the magnum block. I will also be putting a 727 Behind it. It currently has the slant 6 with the three speed automatic in it, no power steering, and am wondering exactly what you have to do to the frame/suspension, what kind of engine mounts you need, if the 727 will bolt into place of the current transmission, and I was also going to do an 8.75 inch rear end swap too.

I have a 1967 Plymouth valiant I will be running a 408 Stroker that utilizes the magnum block. I will also be putting a 727 Behind it. It currently has the slant 6 with the three speed automatic in it, no power steering, and am wondering exactly what you have to do to the frame/suspension, what kind of engine mounts you need, if the 727 will bolt into place of the current transmission, and I was also going to do an 8.75 inch rear end swap too.

You can do it in stages unless you have a big wallet. If the /6 is still on the car and running, swap the rear suspension over to the big bolt pattern (BBP)8 3/4" rear with heavier duty springs, shocks and discs. Swap the front suspension at the same time with heavier torsion bars, BBP front discs and shocks. I like front and rear swaybars too. You will need a different driveshaft too.

Once your 408 and 727 are built swap them in. Front conversion mounts are available at Summit and the rear bolts right in. A bigger and different lower outlet radiator will be needed too.

EFI is another step in the evolution, as is an overdrive transmission when $ allows. It took me about 10 years to complete all these steps, then came a complete paint & bodywork phase and finally a complete custom interior. There's not much out there like it in terms of performance, nostalgia and smiles to the miles.

-
Back