Slant 6 Torque Converter Bushing

-

Nigel Hely

64DartDownUnder
Reaction score
In my previous posting, a reply from SlantSixDan has made the following point:

"If your car has an automatic transmission, you have to hope whoever swapped in this engine knew that when putting a '68-up engine in front of a '67-down transmission, you need a ring to take up the space between the small-nose torque converter and the large-bore crankshaft, else transmission front pump bushing and seal life will be short".

Has anybody carried out this modification, if so, has anybody got a dimensioned drawing so I can pre-make the required parts?

Thankyou to everyone who replied, I'll follow this up next week, I'm busy with my steam engines this weekend.
Dan's reply got me thinking, when I got home today I jacked it up with the engine running, got underneath and there is what I would describe as a "dull knocking noise" in the bell-housing.
I'll order one regardless (can't be too expensive) and lift the motor in the engine bay and take a look.
Cheaper than Dan's predicted end result if ignored.
Thanks again!

I recently had occasion to install this part, and I have to say it was beautifully made and a perfect fit. Well worth it.

I have them available, also. $25.00 including priority mail, shipping in the USA. Have to check shipping to Australia. PM Me, if interested.

I have them available, also. $25.00 including priority mail, shipping in the USA. Have to check shipping to Australia. PM Me, if interested.
Thanks Charlie, I'll let you know, I was given a contact email for another guy earlier, so in fairness to those who have helped, I'll try my luck in chronological order!

Thanks for your help on this, everyone.
The bushing arrived a couple of days ago from Pat, had I checked the letter box on Friday, it would be installed and by now we would all know the results!
Stay posted, I'll let you know the final outcome.
Regards, Nigel

Thanks for your help on this, everyone.
The bushing arrived a couple of days ago from Pat, had I checked the letter box on Friday, it would be installed and by now we would all know the results!
Stay posted, I'll let you know the final outcome.
Regards, Nigel
Well, I pulled the engine out yesterday and guess what? It looks like whoever fitted the engine built it using the correct crankshaft for the early torque converter. I don't consider this a wasted afternoon, I have eliminated a possible disaster, although I am still convinced there is a dull knocking noise it the region of the torque converter. By the way, the adapter bushed are really well made, I'll have to buy another car now so it doesn't go to waste!

Maybe pull the torque converter out of the trans and look for a cracked pump driver.

Maybe pull the torque converter out of the trans and look for a cracked pump driver.
Funny you should say this, I thought about pulling the converter while it was apart but decided not to, only on the basis that I want to keep it mobile so I can have it inspected for registration in the next couple of weeks. The plan is to have the transmission reconditioned very early in new year. Hope the few little day trips I've planned for it over Christmas holidays don't hurt it too much. It only makes the noise in NEUTRAL or PARK.

IIRC its a 1/8" walled bushing. I contemplated chopping up a few 1/8 drill bits and making a roller bearing like "spacer". I ran a 340 on a 65 trans without the bushing (didnt know back then) and I never figured out why I cracked 2 flex plates! Both times the ears cracked, one time all 4 were cracked through and when I unbolted them the pieces fell out. Bought a 68 trans with a slip yoke, built a driveshaft, bought a Hurst Pro-matic 2 and never looked back.

-
Back