Slant six 500 cfm edelbrock jets and rods

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
what kind of jets and metering rods are you running on your slant six 225 9.1 compression. I'm running stock jets and rods up front and just leaned out the secondary to .89 getting 18-19 mpg.

I have seen over 20 with a 318smogger on straight hiway, so I'm guessing you could go leaner. But you'll need plenty of ignition timing, and it really depends on a lotta factors. I once squeezed over 30 out of a hi-compression360, point-to-point-hiway.
Rpm is a killer, as is; speed,load, and lack of timing, not to mention; the engine temperature, the cam, the exhaust, and the air density.
18.5 is doing pretty good. At something like 2300@65, she might want something like 48 to 54*,total timing,possibly even more; Sneak up on it. is

But I wouldn't mess with the cruise settings until the power system is dialed in,cuz you just have to start all over every time you change the primary MJ;or every time you recurve the distributor.

Runs great with 0.89 with 67 rods primaries at 0.77 going to try one jet and rod size bigger .92 71x47 rods

I have messed the with 500avs for several years. The best combination of jets and rods was what Edelbrock installed from the factory. I did change the step up springs to match my idle vaccum. The biggest problem that I had, was that stock replacement fuel pumps couldn't keep the fuel bowls full at full throttle.

I have messed the with 500avs for several years. The best combination of jets and rods was what Edelbrock installed from the factory. I did change the step up springs to match my idle vaccum. The biggest problem that I had, was that stock replacement fuel pumps couldn't keep the fuel bowls full at full throttle.
What was your compression ratio?

Ended up going with .95 jets and 75 metering rods I'm very happy with this setting. Mileage seems to be the same if not better a lot more power. Idles smooth. Will count and report back. When I first slapped the carb on I was running very lean and the richer I went on the primaries more brown tan color my plugs were coming out. I have read articles stating putting a Holley 390 on a slant will run lean with stock configuration.

-
Back