Slant six exhaust manifold choke bucket

-
Reaction score
Does anybody have one of these that will be ok to part with i need this bucket for a slant six choke thermostat thank
upload_2021-3-29_17-41-38.png

The slant six doesn't use that.

Great finding a new one. That also needs a gasket around it.

I no

I noticed that too i asked the seller if he has one probably will need to make one

High temp red permatex will work, too. Put it on and let it skin over for a few minutes and tighten her down.

My original exhaust was different than this one , it leaks gases and very loud I need this bucket so it will be quite

so, are you saying you need this to stop an exhaust leak, or did you buy a new exhaust manifold to replace one that was leaking?

so, are you saying you need this to stop an exhaust leak, or did you buy a new exhaust manifold to replace one that was leaking?
My issue was an exhaust leak between head and manifold when o took it apart I noticed two studs on the head where broken thats why it had a exhaust leak when i took it apart the intake from the exhaust manifold one stud was seized so instead of re thread the broken one I throw it away , bought a Dorman brand that was junk , and ended up buying this one but I didn’t noticed that where the choke sits it was open and i can hear the exhaust smell the gases , know with this bowl should fix my issue

My issue was an exhaust leak between head and manifold when o took it apart I noticed two studs on the head where broken thats why it had a exhaust leak when i took it apart the intake from the exhaust manifold one stud was seized so instead of re thread the broken one I throw it away , bought a Dorman brand that was junk , and ended up buying this one but I didn’t noticed that where the choke sits it was open and i can hear the exhaust smell the gases , know with this bowl should fix my issue

there are plenty of members on here who are more knowledgeable on the /6 then i (like @slantsixdan ) but i think you are wrong

the sole purpose of that "bowl" is to provide a warm spot to house the choke thermostat
this is basically a bimetal spring which will pull the choke off when it warms up...and puts it back on when it cools of

it is on the outside of the manifold, there should be NO exhaust gasses escaping from it (and the cover you are looking for is intended to protect that spring, not seal in exhaust gasses

SO, if all that makes sense, they you have one of two different issues
either the new manifold you have is porous and there is an exhaust leak in the well, or the whole thing didnt seal up right

If it was me, I would get that piece blasted so it will be rough, prime it with VHT FLAME PROOF primer and then paint it with VHT FLAME PROOF black. That way, it will last.

it doesn’t need any “upgrading”

It is made from a material that won’t get eaten up by the exhaust gasses. They use those on 1970-71 big blocks and the cups last for decades without any special treatment. I don’t know if it’s a coating or the material it’s made from.

I advise “don’t mess with it”

Last edited:
The gasket for choke cup 2946529 is part number 2946530. They show up on Ebay from time to time.

it doesn’t need any “upgrading”

It is made from a material that won’t get eaten up by the exhaust gasses. They use those on 1970-71 big blocks and the cups last for decades without any special treatment. I don’t know if it’s a coating or the material it’s made from.

I advise “don’t mess with it”

All the old ones I've ever seen were either rusty as HELL or slap rusted through.

All the old ones I've ever seen were either rusty as HELL or slap rusted through.
How do they rust when on the engine with the hood closed? Yes if they sit out in the weather and fill with water it’s a different story.

I have half a dozen here that are obviously used with carbon and gasket material on them and They are in great shape, solid, not rusty at all.

How do they rust when on the engine with the hood closed? Yes if they sit out in the weather and fill with water it’s a different story.

I have half a dozen here that are obviously used with carbon and gasket material on them and They are in great shape, solid, not rusty at all.

Same way an exhaust manifold rusts. The exhaust has moisture on it.

@Antonio Torres you have an NOS choke cup, it’s a great find. Don’t blast it or do anything to it, just put it on with a gasket.

Seems they are only prone to rust in Georgia!

these clean used ones must be super rare!

874E77B6-B8AB-4E60-8573-7732014178AB.jpeg

-
Back