Slant six in a Miata ? Why ???

-
Yeah that Miata is junk should have went for scrap. Now it will be some museum piece for UTG fans. 15 Years from now, someone will have it, claim it's wort 15 grand cause Uncle Tony built it...:)

He'll get back on it. He jumps around alot. I think he's entering it in a race or something. There's a date he has planned for it to run. What little I know is, its the valiant shell on a 70 Ish Dodge truck frame that was sectioned, and he fabbed the floor. That's about all he's done with it.
You know what the project name is? Or have a link to any videos on it?
*EDIT* never mind. Found it.

Last edited:
I don't get need for the hate UTG is definitely not a favorite channel he's doing nothing that people say and do on here all the time.
Is this Miata the greatest build of all time no but I'll keep an eye on it, be more interesting when he builds up the 170 /6.

Here's a few of my favorite youtube car channels.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8uf_zVTV63l1-uRSx6XbnQ/videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN1Np_UpzHAbpL4-kyxopqA/videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClWkePG9rATJ4nbl__xRMJQ/videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCohnAc8nMdYZImxsCLyz5gg/videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHvBHWBzzB7NyU5tIiEZHBg/videos

There will probably be a resurgence of junk cars on the road...:)
For me that would be fine as long as it is actually safe. To many people jump on guys when the car is unfinished much less perfect. Fellas should enjoy there ride be it mint on top of triple mint or a simple “Roadkill” car. Though I hope it works and runs better than the shows cars do.... ha ha ha ha

Seriously, who cares if it is dull or multi colored in paint, dented and mildly rusted?

I have a 1970 Charger project that is ratty looking and will stay that way for awhile. I'm fine with that.
I actually like the UTG channel and do agree with most of his stuff. I didn't agree with his opinion about subframe connectors but many other videos have been great.
I see his videos with his booger-popcorn welds and just facepalm....He is a very sloppy fabricator and welder but a great dude for many other things.

No way I would put a slant in a Miata. The engine bay is just too short. There is some width, however. The popular V8 swap into them is an LS, but it still expensive even if you do the work yourself because the car HAS to be blown apart for some serious surgery. BUT, in the end you wind up with 400+ horsepower with the same fuel mileage (20 in town, 30 on the highway).

BUT, as the Miata is not a fast car, they are a blast to drive. The absolutely go wherever you point it, but you better not be taller than 5'10" or weigh more than 200 lbs. You WON'T fit. Yes, I owned one for about a year. A truly enjoyable car to drive.

Actually, the most popular swap in the Miata is the small block Ford. They fit really well and there are several companies that make kits. I've seen one. It was anything but boring and slow. lol

I like the guy even though I think the project is kinda odd. When one thinks of the things we could be doing to entertain ourselves, UTG is a wholesome time spent.

I have too many projects but I have to say that he is making me think outside the box as they say and considering other directions for projects.

I actually considered a 3.9 v6 swap into my 63 valiant wagon. It's not too late.... yet.

The point is to get cars running because pushing them around is not fun and most of us pushing cars are 1/2 to one horsepower so that's certainly not enough power

This car....

2 XH M.jpg

Looked like THIS for 24 years:

JS 1.jpg

JS 4.jpg

JS 8.jpg

I bought it for $5000 in September 2019. It came with fenders, hood, valance, bumper and grille. I cut off the entire front structure and welded on a stub from a 1970 Belvedere, rebuilt the original 383 and it now runs and drives.

It will stay ratty for awhile, partly because I am fortunate enough to have another '70 that is already "finished".

2 Chargers A.jpg

I like the guy even though I think the project is kinda odd. When one thinks of the things we could be doing to entertain ourselves, UTG is a wholesome time spent.

I have too many projects but I have to say that he is making me think outside the box as they say and considering other directions for projects.

I actually considered a 3.9 v6 swap into my 63 valiant wagon. It's not too late.... yet.

The point is to get cars running because pushing them around is not fun and most of us pushing cars are 1/2 to one horsepower so that's certainly not enough power

I'll lay a 100 dollar bill in your pretty little hand if you can put out 1/2 horsepower. lol

That said, I don't understand all the Tony Defeo hate. He's doing what he likes to do. He's doing what gains him youtube views. He's makin a livin. Why the **** do people make it their lives purpose running him down? He's even a Mopar guy. I just don't understand it. It's not like he's comin on here runnin anybody down. In fact, that'd be the last thing he'd ever do. How many members has he helped with good deals on good parts? I just wonder that. Some people just have to be assholes, I guess.

Last edited:
What I find funny is those that claim to not like his utube channel cannot quit watching his videos ... LOL Like him or not, the guy minds his own business and does what he likes. You can subscribe for free, and unsubscribe just as fast.
I wouldn't do the miata thing, but he doesn't need my permission that's for sure. And, I'll continue to watch to see how it turns out :)

For me that would be fine as long as it is actually safe. To many people jump on guys when the car is unfinished much less perfect. Fellas should enjoy there ride be it mint on top of triple mint or a simple “Roadkill” car. Though I hope it works and runs better than the shows cars do.... ha ha ha ha

Seriously, who cares if it is dull or multi colored in paint, dented and mildly rusted?
Have you heard the story in the media about the guy with the patina 65 Ford pickup? The truck runs,drives,Is road worthy but his homeowners association where he lives wants it gone. Its an eyesore....part of what I love about the old car hobby is, people want old cars gome, they dont want to see them. There is a guy in my area with a black premiered 74 Pontiac Bonneville 4 door,when I saw it at the gas pump the other day all I thought was"I wonder if the cops pull him over alot, they definitely know who he is I'll bet" it's the kind of car that draws attention...

As far as UTG I haven't seen anything resembling hate, calling it like ya see it isnt hate, I say it again that Miata is a POS...I wouldn't burn a calorie wrenching on it...

Have you heard the story in the media about the guy with the patina 65 Ford pickup? The truck runs,drives,Is road worthy but his homeowners association where he lives wants it gone. Its an eyesore....
That particular story, no. Stories like that, yes. They also include stories with and without HOA’s. A similar example is a neighbor of mine complained about my Duster. The “Town” came by and realized what it was that I was doing and informed me of the complaint in which it is easily fixed via a car cover or properly tagged (plates). So to AutoZone I went for a $50 cover for the car while it is being worked on.

The town official was very cool and understood the whole deal. It’s easy to see it is a project car and not a derelict car. He was telling me it is a “Quality of Life” ordinance which makes sense since it was designed to stop regular houses turning into junkyards. I’m good with that.

Anyone dealing with a HOA is in a world I don’t understand much. I only only know that I’ll be damned if someone can tell me what I can and can’t do within reason to my own property. I’m sure local laws will prevent me from the wild things. But the stories I have heard about HOA’s..... no way brother!

Maybe I’ll be lucky enough to become president of my own plot of land where I can mandate a minimum of 3 project cars on the property or you’ll have to have.

I remember living in town in the late 80s, I had a 71 Pontiac T 37 that I bought cheap,and it isn't like these days,back then a 70s car that was almost 20 years old was in rough shape. Anyway to cut to the point, I couldn't keep the car at grandparents in the yard,they also lived in town, because it was an eyesore, if I somehow built a garage around it it was ok though. I ended up renting a garage for $35 a month at 17 so i could get the car some what in running condition. I did but it took a year and a half,the summer when I was 19 I was on the road with it. It funny and it makes me feel old, but my generation grew up driving V8s. It was alot of power for a 19 year old LOL! Mom used to say "do you have to squeal the tires every time you leave? back to what we were saying though, guys my parents age ruined it,ever hear about guys rebuilding engines in the street,draining the fluids into the storm drains in the 70s LOL!

Rebuilding an engine in the streets? Sure!
Dumping fluids without care or concern? No.
Right off the bat, we were told that’s a big NO-NO!
Some dribbling can not be avoided but we tried our best to keep it clean. All of our parents were early environmentalists saying that crap ends up in our drinking water, it’s all poisonous! Keep it clean boys!
Lord help us if we didn’t! Cause you would need the Lord to save you from ensued!

There is a guy in my area with a black premiered 74 Pontiac Bonneville 4 door,when I saw it at the gas pump the other day all I thought was"I wonder if the cops pull him over alot, they definitely know who he is I'll bet" it's the kind of car that draws attention...

I've had a cop tell me this "son, you're driving a bright orange duster, if you act out we will know"

There are swaps that make sense.
There are swaps that make NO sense.
This, is the latter. You tube content, no other reason.
As for his videos, i watched one once where he extolled the virtues of a pinion snubber. I havent taken him seriously, or watched his videos since.

There is a guy with a miata swap that races at my local eighth. He has a big single turbo LS in it. (Fits a WHOLE lot better than a /6, btw). Its SCARY fast, when it hooks (half the time, maybe) and goes straight (less than half the time).
Lots more fun, lots more sensible than uncle tony's mess.

Last edited:
I always wanted a nice Miata and swap in an old Ford HP 289 into it. Probably blow the drive train to pieces though.

Actually, the most popular swap in the Miata is the small block Ford. They fit really well and there are several companies that make kits. I've seen one. It was anything but boring and slow. lol
I always wanted a nice Miata and swap in an old Ford HP 289 into it. Probably blow the drive train to pieces though.
See, now that swap makes sense.

Ive got a hudson metro, i think I'll swap in my spare flathead straight eight, and put the drivers seat in the trunk, waddaya think?!?

There are swaps that make sense.
There are swaps that make NO sense.
This, is the latter. You tube content, no other reason.
As for his videos, i watched one once where he extolled the virtues of a pinion snubber. I havent taken him seriously, or watched his videos since.
That's how I feel about it, entertainment it is, words of gospel it is not. I have a 318 but I'm not trading in my 340 for it...as in,not yanking the 340 out to run a 318.

-
Back