Slant Six Oil Filter Mod

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Now I'm sure this is probably much ado about nothing, but I thought I'd share anyway, in case some are like I am and DETEST the fact that the oil filter on the slant six mounts upside down. I've never liked it. I don't care how trivial it may be. It's just a personal preference.

I have had a Ford Motorsport 90* oil filter adapter for some time now. I originally got it for another project. Since I never used it, I thought about the slant six. Knowing the filters gasket and threads were the same, I installed the 90* adapter on the 170 in the Valiant tonight. I removed the long tube with the anti drain back valve, flipped it over and stuck it in the vise and knocked the pressed in tube with the drain back valve out, leaving the short threaded stub. I reinstalled the threaded stub back into the oil pump and installed the filter adapter.

Now, I always try to run the largest capacity filter I can on whatever I have. Again, just personal preference. This filter is the Motorcraft FL299. It's the same as the FL1A, but instead of one quart capacity, it is a two quart filter. With the adapter, the filter lays 90* on its side and is angled down towards the closed end of the filter, which will allow oil to be contained in the filter on shut down, eliminating the chance that the filter will drain dry.

This will help cold starts greatly as oil will already be in the filter and the engine will not run dry long at all.......if at all. I don't care how good an anti drain back valve is in the oil filter tube or the oil filter itself, I believe some drain back occurs since the filter is completely upside down.

Again, this is not for argument sake, it is my personal preference. Here is the adapter installed. They are "around" 100 bucks give or take. I just thought I would share for those of you who might want to do the same thing.

OIL FILTER MOD.jpg

I have been considering the exact same thing. I still have a few of the 90* adapters bookmarked on ebay. From your picture, it looks a little tight-closer to the inner fender than I imagined. Is this in an early A body?
I, too am not a fan of the factory filter mounting on the slant and have been pondering either a remote filter mount or this 90* adapter. The adapter looks to be a much simpler solution.

Paragraph two... where you start with I removed...can you explain that more in depth/tutorial like? Having only changed the filters, the parts you are describing are new ground for me lol

69moredoor, not all of the slants had/have the drain back tube.Not sure of the date, maybe around 1972 they did away with it.
Rusty I like what you have done.I too have always hated that up-side-down filter.

I have been considering the exact same thing. I still have a few of the 90* adapters bookmarked on ebay. From your picture, it looks a little tight-closer to the inner fender than I imagined. Is this in an early A body?
I, too am not a fan of the factory filter mounting on the slant and have been pondering either a remote filter mount or this 90* adapter. The adapter looks to be a much simpler solution.

Yes, it's a tad close, I can loosen it up and turn it in a LOT, but that's just where "it ended up". I sorta like it there because the farther THAT direction it goes, the more DOWN the closed end points. Hell, it'd have to break a motor mount for it to make contact.

Yes, this is in my 64 Valiant with the 170.

Paragraph two... where you start with I removed...can you explain that more in depth/tutorial like? Having only changed the filters, the parts you are describing are new ground for me lol

Be glad to. When Kitty gets stirrin good, I'll get her out in the shop with her camera expertise as I have another oil pump I will gladly demonstrate with. Look for an update later today.

69moredoor, not all of the slants had/have the drain back tube.Not sure of the date, maybe around 1972 they did away with it.
Rusty I like what you have done.I too have always hated that up-side-down filter.

Thanks. It may not make a difference, but the way I see it, if the pump doesn't have to fill the filter slam up then it runs dry less time, right? Maybe not. Who knows? LOL

I will say this about the drain back valve. Seems to me that it's a pretty BIG restriction in that tube. I'll try to salvage the next one I knock out this afternoon and show you. All this is my opinion. I'm sure I'm wrong. lol I like it better without it anyway.

Thanks. It may not make a difference, but the way I see it, if the pump doesn't have to fill the filter slam up then it runs dry less time, right? Maybe not. Who knows? LOL

I will say this about the drain back valve. Seems to me that it's a pretty BIG restriction in that tube. I'll try to salvage the next one I knock out this afternoon and show you. All this is my opinion. I'm sure I'm wrong. lol I like it better without it anyway.

Well you didn't mention the original mounting being a PIA because it pours oil down the side of the block every time you change the filter.:D
Good solution Rob.

Well you didn't mention the original mounting being a PIA because it pours oil down the side of the block every time you change the filter.:D
Good solution Rob.

Well like I say all the time, I take a lot for granted when I post......maybe too much. I just figure some things I "ain't gotta say".

Thanks for the kind words.

I really like this! except the part about me spending the 100 bucks.. LOL thanks for the info! I will be ordering this spuff up and doing it the next time I have to change the oil on mine.

I really like this! except the part about me spending the 100 bucks.. LOL thanks for the info! I will be ordering this spuff up and doing it the next time I have to change the oil on mine.

I didn't like that part either.....and had I not already had it, I am "not sure" I would have spent the money. I am curious to see if this will cause the oil light to go out any sooner. If it does I'll report back. Not that it was staying on a long time, that would just tell us that it does make a difference.

I must be ahead of the times...I got an OEM 1960 canister oil filter from Slant Six Dan! Unscrew the top like a pickle jar, pull out old filter, drop in new, screw the top back on. They should remake these with todays cartridge P/N....Hmmm?
No muss, no fuss. Heck, they went back to this design on the new models! Cartridges are still available even on Rock for cheap.
115101CARLEYOil_00000065351.jpg

I went out and started it up a little bit ago before I cut the grass. The oil light was out almost before the engine fired. It's never gone out that quickly before. The real test will be when it sits for a while. Since I still have the front and back glass out, it will sit a while. We'll see.

I must be ahead of the times...I got an OEM 1960 canister oil filter from Slant Six Dan! Unscrew the top like a pickle jar, pull out old filter, drop in new, screw the top back on. They should remake these with todays cartridge P/N....Hmmm?
No muss, no fuss. Heck, they went back to this design on the new models! Cartridges are still available even on Rock for cheap.
View attachment 1715359274

Wait, what??

Ok, here is how to remove the drain back valve. Please thank Kitty for the camera work.......right up to the point she got my ugly mug in there. lol

Ok, here is how to remove the drain back valve. Please thank Kitty for the camera work.......right up to the point she got my ugly mug in there. lol

You sound just like I thought you would. Nice work Rusty!

Ahh now I see. When I did an oil change I def did not have that long rod to slide the filter off. Hmmm

Ahh now I see. When I did an oil change I def did not have that long rod to slide the filter off. Hmmm

The later models (I don't know when) eliminated that. So if you don't have the long tube, you don't have the drain back valve. One less thing to do.

Nice ultrasonic cleaner as well.

Thanks. It's big enough for most any carburetor......but you now what? I have YET to have it do a good job on anything. I've tried every solution I know of.

Thanks. It's big enough for most any carburetor......but you now what? I have YET to have it do a good job on anything. I've tried every solution I know of.
I have one too. I used it to clean tools to send back to MAC when I retired. Worked good for that. Carbs get clean but not pretty. I use Simple Green.

Did you use the powder for the ultrasonic cleaner? Dont know what that would do for carbs, but it gets the wife's wedding ring sparkling clean. The move from spin on to cartridge oil filters is mainly landfill related: no metal means easy biodegradability, and they are cheaper to manufacture. Downside is the new plastic tops are awkward to access sometimes (although much easier than some of the spin ons!) and are easily cross-threaded (but cheap to replace).
"...One of the most popular benefits of the cartridge filter is that if it’s mounted upright, the filter can be opened and inspected without draining the oil. As for the elements themselves, the performance is the same as a spin-on filter, and there are different types of media available, with pleated paper being the most economical..." Ha, whats old is new again!
Here are some pics of the classic old Mopar cartridge filter system on my 'modernized' slant:
20190705_165244.jpg
20190705_165256.jpg
20190705_165746.jpg
20190705_165806.jpg

-
Back