Slant six oil pump priming

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
Ok, so we all know that in v8s you remove the distributor and the distributor drive gear and you can use an oil pump priming tool and turn the oil pump with a drill and oil the engine.

This is particularly handy for restored cars in long term storage situations.

How does one prime the pump on a slant six??

Unfortunately, no way of doing it that I'm aware of other than cranking engine to spin the cam and oil pump.

I usually just disconnect the coil, so the engine doesn't actually start, and then just crank the engine over with the starter.

What are we talkin about here? A completely assembled engine? One you are building? One you are going to build?

Here's how I do it on slants I build. With the engine assembled sans timing cover, timing chain and distributor, put oil in the pan. Drive the camshaft bolt with an air ratchet clockwise. It'll prime right up. You can rotate the crank carefully if necessary to get oil to the top. Once you get oil to the top, consider it primed.

Remove oil pump cover plate. Place Vaseline in gerotor cavities. Replace plate. This will effectively prime the pump so that it pulls oil out of the pan just about immediately the engine starts turning. The Vaseline will melt very shortly after the engine fires up and blend harmlessly with the motor oil.

I have a tank (made from a freon jug) that I put in 5 qts of oil. I plumb that to the fitting on the oil pump where the pressure sender goes. Pressurise the container with 30 psi air. As the oil goes into the engine, rotate the engine by hand (spark plugs removed) so the oil gets to the rod bearings and the top end

I just crank it with the coil unplugged, check gauge for little oil pressure, then fire it up

-
Back