Slicing a floor pan...

-

Cuda416

Reaction score
Getting ready to install a Floorplan but don't want to remove the windshield to do it. What is the best way to slice it for installation? I've seen people go right down the middle front to back. I've seen side to side cuts then I've heard of, but not seen, a puzzle cut. That seems strongest in the end, but since I've not seen one done, I'm not sure. Opinions?

It's a 67+ Floorplan going into a 65 Valiant.

Getting ready to install a Floorplan but don't want to remove the windshield to do it. What is the best way to slice it for installation? I've seen people go right down the middle front to back. I've seen side to side cuts then I've heard of, but not seen, a puzzle cut. That seems strongest in the end, but since I've not seen one done, I'm not sure. Opinions?

It's a 67+ Floorplan going into a 65 Valiant.
Is the pan much wider than your original?
I'd see if i could land the cut seams half on a crossmember ledge each side if possible.

It looks like you're gonna be the pioneer for this one! Just be careful cutting the old one out, and don't cut the torsion bar crossmember or the seat supports that come off the rocker panels. I don't know that I wouldn't cut it side to side, so that the front part will rest on the torsion bar x member. Surely to goodness the 2nd gen A body pan is longer, and the front portion of the back part you would cut off during the side to side cut would lap over enough to catch the torsion bar x member too? This is one of those things where you measure 50 times and cut once! :eek: Good luck.....and make lots of pics! :)

Is the pan much wider than your original?
I'd see if i could land the cut seams half on a crossmember ledge each side if possible.

The new one might need a slight trimming, won't know for sure until we get it in for a test fit.

It looks like you're gonna be the pioneer for this one! Just be careful cutting the old one out, and don't cut the torsion bar crossmember or the seat supports that come off the rocker panels. I don't know that I wouldn't cut it side to side, so that the front part will rest on the torsion bar x member. Surely to goodness the 2nd gen A body pan is longer, and the front portion of the back part you would cut off during the side to side cut would lap over enough to catch the torsion bar x member too? This is one of those things where you measure 50 times and cut once! :eek: Good luck.....and make lots of pics! :)

I'm certainly not blazing any trails with this and can't claim its my idea. Been done before but I'll try to document what I do. These early A's are hard to get floors for. Patches are available but not entire pans. Ours was too far gone for patches so this is the next best thing. It actually appears that the older pan was longer. It went up and over the rear seat pan whereas the later pan doesn't.

not that I know or have done it but what about up from underneath at an angle?

Had the same thought and it might work. We tried it quickly but gave up so we could get to work. I'll revisit that idea.

-
Back