Slicks and Tubes question

-
Why do you want to use tubes. More info and I may be able to talk you out of it. No tubes no screws on my car running 1.25-1.28 sixty foot times.

I also do not run tubes. In the past 20 years I've found one tire ever that required a tube and for strip use you could have gotten away without it.

I'm with PBR. Ditch the tubes. No need for them.

I run tubes in my treaded quicktimes on the treet, makes me feel better about the street part of it . After racing for 14 yrs. , before I got old enough to lose most interest , I only had 1 pair of slicks that would hold air w/o tubes , indefinitely , and they were hoosiers -----------

I run tubes in my treaded quicktimes on the treet, makes me feel better about the street part of it . After racing for 14 yrs. , before I got old enough to lose most interest , I only had 1 pair of slicks that would hold air w/o tubes , indefinitely , and they were hoosiers -----------

There is a procedure I use for sealing mine. Mine will stay up even over the Winter without needing to add air. They may go from the 11 pounds I use to 8-9 maybe. I doubt even that much over 4-5 months.

There is a procedure I use for sealing mine. Mine will stay up even over the Winter without needing to add air. They may go from the 11 pounds I use to 8-9 maybe. I doubt even that much over 4-5 months.
Back in the day , all would lose air out the sidewalls , except those hoosiers -

Thanks for all the input!

So I think I have a plan.
The new 9x30 Goodyears go no tubes, glued and screwed on Centerlines..
The used 9x28 M/Ts will go w/tubes on a pair of 'vintage' steel 8" 'wagon wheels' as spares.
The new 275/60s will go on the other 8" Centerlines glued and screwed (holes are there already)

Please share the procedure.
Thanks

When I get a new pair of
Please share the procedure.
Thanks

Ok I try to do this during the Summer on a warm day. I take a small plastic dish and mix up a mixture of Dawn dish soap and water. I will take the two slicks and lay them on their sidewalls and I save my worn out white socks with holes in them instead of throwing them out. With the sock on my hand I will dip it in the mixture of soap and water and paint the inside of each slick on the ground. After Mother Nature dries them in the sun I will flip them over and repeat this to the other side. If they both thoroughly dry I will repeat this procedure again so BOTH inside sidewalls have had 2 coats each. The next day I will take Lacquer Thinner and thoroughly clean the 2 inch bead area that seals against the wheel.(4 sides two slicks) This is very important to to the guys that don't screw their wheels as tires have a slimy feeling mold release compound when made. After all 4 sides have been cleaned I take red Scotchbrite cloth to the just cleaned area to scuff it. I then clean the 4 areas again with Lacquer thinner and then take them to my local tire mounting center. I take brush on "High-Tach" so they can "dry mount" my slicks while applying a nice coat of High Tach. After they are done I ask them to inflate my slicks to 20-25 pounds to press the bead against the rim while they dry 24-48 hours if possible. I then measure each slick for circumference to see if they are with-in tolerance and the I bubble balance them with stick on weights and cover weights with Gorilla Tape. I then take a white paint stick and drawl a line on BOTH slicks so I can see if they move at the track. Damn my finger is tired from all that typing. Please excuse all grammar and misspelled words. For the guys that just screw their slicks I would recommend using the pressure above so when you screw them you aren't PUSHING the bead away from the wheels leading to air leaks. I also used to take my drill bit and wrap black electrical tape around the bit several wraps so it would act like a "drill stop" so you couldn't drill through the slick. I then saved this bit for just this job.

I thought you squirted a bunch of lighter fluid in there and hit it with a torch and Bloom the tire was instantly mounted! LOL...

You and yellow rose need to discover voice command.. nice write-up, thank you..

I hate making a long post from my phone so I try to save those for my desktop computer. Did you ever try typing on a touch screen computer while two of four cats sit in front of the screen.

I take brush on "High-Tach" so they can "dry mount" my slicks while applying a nice coat of High Tach.

For the guys that just screw their slicks I would recommend using the pressure above so when you screw them you aren't PUSHING the bead away from the wheels leading to air leaks. .

THanks for the write up.!

So it's ... mount, high tach the bead, blow'em up?
If holes exist - let cure ~2 days before installing screws?

-
Back