Slip yoke will not slip on...

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
For the life of me i'm not sure What's going on here?
I've used this slip yoke before end it's in good condition.
I just had the transmission completely down and see nothing wrong with the splines...
I get it halfway on and it just stops?.. And when it stops halfway on it sticks as if it's jammed on some??? I actually have to take a hammer and slap it back off...
This is a very odd one...
I lubricated everything got a flashlight and looked in the tailhouse and seeing nothing that should have struck it and of course looked inside the slip york nothing...???
Any help mary ideas are appreciated...

I know you looked inside the slip yoke and it looks good - any noticeable knicks on the outside of the yoke that might hang up on the bushing?

Too much lube/grease and you're hydra-locking it on?
"Feel" each spline inside the yoke with a long pick of some sort to make sure they are all clear to the back?

I have run into having a main shaft longer than another......it was a doug nash 4+1 rebuild, (snapped a main shaft believe it or not) but it happened to have the same symptoms after putting a "new" one in. Apparently the one that came in the trans (used) had been cut down. I put it in my car, measured for driveline, and went racing. Broke it and replaced. "new" one was 1/4" longer.

Probably not your scenario but you wanted mary ideas :poke: :D

pictures wont help but they make things interesting.

I can only think there is a burr or "noogie" in one of the splines by the symptoms you described. I would see if the yoke slips on another tail shaft. If so, then the transmission splines are subject.

I know you looked inside the slip yoke and it looks good - any noticeable knicks on the outside of the yoke that might hang up on the bushing?

Too much lube/grease and you're hydra-locking it on?
"Feel" each spline inside the yoke with a long pick of some sort to make sure they are all clear to the back?
The transmission is more suspect than the slip yoke i have used before... Just a light spray lubrication not a hydrological situation.. Hydro lock feels more like spongy that it won't go on further, This is sticking or jamming on something and having to take a hammer and beat it back off..

I can only think there is a burr or "noogie" in one of the splines by the symptoms you described. I would see if the yoke slips on another tail shaft. If so, then the transmission splines are subject.
This is the slip yoke that trail beast send me years and years ago for the pink three eighteen that I had..
The transmission is more suspect than anything..

This is the slip yoke that trail beast send me years and years ago for the pink three eighteen that I had..
The transmission is more suspect than anything..
Also, very hard to damage a yoke spline, means they are in the I.D.

When it sticks, try turning it. That should tell you if the yoke is indeed binding on the shaft OR it's binding in the bushing.

Also, very hard to damage a yoke spline, means they are in the I.D.
It would have been easy to check all this out when the slip yoke was laying on my work bench and the transmission was all apart but who would have ever thought??..
Maybe I'll get my mind around a restart tomorrow and drop The transmission cross member and pull the tail housing back off... Luckily the transmission has no linkage coolant lines or fluid in it...
Got a new phone yesterday and everything is working outstandingly better with no locking up or anything but the voice,nd is total garbage... Voice,nd l o l I said voice,nd...
Voice command :BangHead:

Well I got three hundred other things to do on this duster to get this engine and transmission So I'm going to just continue moving forward and tomorrow I will probably drop the tail housing and see what the problem is...

Maybe dry it off and use some bluing on the yoke OD to help indicate where it's hanging?

I found out on my 833 truck transmission that there are a couple different spline ANGLES. Mine did the same thing until I finally found the right slip yoke.

10 hour day and basically put the driveline in...
Confirmed it wasn't the slip yoke...
Pulled transmission and called on another used one for parts and with nothing to loose ground the last half inch of splines off... slip yoke slipped right on..:rolleyes:...
Long day under the car...
20230523_154915.jpg

Well, that's one way to do it!
I could have bought the parts trans for $100 and pulled them both apart and probably spent more on gaskets seals and the hour round trip drive and two- three day efing with it OR grind that half inch off and call it a day..

I could have bought the parts trans for $100 and pulled them both apart and probably spent more on gaskets seals and the hour round trip drive and two- three day efing with it OR grind that half inch off and call it a day..
Makes me almost think maybe that output shaft was twisted a little bit.

Well Prof, I feel like I should get partial credit. (post #5) My solution worked even though the problem wasn't the same. :rolleyes:

-
Back