Slot Cars

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
I was saying in another thread that I wanted to try out slot cars .....

so now for the fourth of July my cousin is around and everyone....

so I am talking with my cousin and the topic came up about slot cars and I told him I wanted a set for me and my sister .....like the ones at hobby lobby or places like that....

My cousin and my Dad exchange a look when I said that and they start laughing ...I couldn't figure out what is so funny about wanting slot cars ....they look at me laughing and say "your the strangest girl on the planet"

so they get a ladder and go up in the attic and there is dust all over and down comes a plastic tub of slot car stuff ...it was my cousin's when he was younger and he said he never wanted to toss them out but wanted someone to use it again ......so I guess that someone is MEEEEE LOL :D:D

its a life like set from around the late 90s, 2000 maybe 2001 he says.

I am going to get some more cars ...so my question for you slot car guys is will the AFX cars work with this track....what are the interchanges ....will tyco car work as well???

Attachments

• CIMG2861.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 374
  • CIMG2862.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 362
  • CIMG2863.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 382
Try a eurosport 1/24th scale, tracks r in 150 ft range road courses

fast as hell....been blessed to race race these all over the world...great fun!!!

this is one I've built

Attachments

• attachment-5.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 391
  • attachment-4.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 360
  • attachment-3.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 371
Yes,on Tyco ,AFX and the Original Aurora slot cars,known as H.O .Scale.Still have the same Vette on the left.

Oh man, I started back in the early 70's with a Tyco set. I think Mom sold it at a garage sale back in the 90's. probably got a couple bucks for it then. I have bought a couple Real Life sets for my boys back in the turn of the century. I have picked up packages of extra track and cars off e-Bay since then. It has been a few years since we got them out but it's time again. Thanks for the reminder Rani. tmm

Rani, you can use any HO scale slot cars on there. If you really want to have fun, get the vintage 60's ones that are more true to HO and don't have magnets holding them in place.
Here are a few of mine. :)

DSCN3445.jpg

My goodness,that young tyke appears to be holding the old AFX/Russkit style controller. They still use those?

Yes slots cars are a ton of fun. The Tyco ( purchased by Mattel), Life-Like ( also makes HO trains), AFX ( both new cars made by Tomy & vintage Aurora ones) and the old and new " Thunder-Jets"'will run on most brands of HO track. Also slip- on silicone tires make a huge difference in the cars handling ( also a clean track helps). I've got some parts & silicone tires; PM me if you need something.

The real fun is four identically performing cars on a four lane track, even a simple oval. A lot of slot car fanatics don't know how to have fun racing. For a nice site that is more about having fun racing slot cars check out www.homeracingworld.us

I should warn you about the really cool & affordable 1/32 scale slot cars, exposure can cause addiction.

Also my sisters had their own slot car set when they were young.

Yes slots cars are a ton of fun. The Tyco ( purchased by Mattel), Life-Like ( also makes HO trains), AFX ( both new cars made by Tomy & vintage Aurora ones) and the old and new " Thunder-Jets"'will run on most brands of HO track. Also slip- on silicone tires make a huge difference in the cars handling ( also a clean track helps). I've got some parts & silicone tires; PM me if you need something.

The real fun is four identically performing cars on a four lane track, even a simple oval. A lot of slot car fanatics don't know how to have fun racing. For a nice site that is more about having fun racing slot cars check out www.homeracingworld.us

I should warn you about the really cool & affordable 1/32 scale slot cars, exposure can cause addiction.

Also my sisters had their own slot car set when they were young.

I am confused ....are these 1/32 scale or HO scale ...which I thought was 1/87 scale?

then they look like hotwheels which I thought were 1/64 scale

We do... Lol. My grandpa still has a ton of old AFX stuff new in the box
DSCN1538.jpg

DSCN1530.jpg

DSCN1535.jpg

DSCN1529.jpg

He also has a big Ryder AFX semi truck set nib that I don't have pics of. I think last time we counted he had about 400 pre 90's cars and probably another 400+90's and up. Lots of very rare original T-jets.
DSCN1515.jpg

DSCN1514.jpg

DSCN1526.jpg

DSCN1520.jpg

DSCN1528.jpg

I would get more pics, but it probably won't be till Christmas now that I love so far away.

Your track is HO which started as 1:87 but is now more like 1:64. Original T-jets or the thunder jet 500's (you can get them at hobby lobby) are closer to the 1:87

Rani, my favorite for very quick and good handling cars are the Super G-Plus. They can use the old AFX bodies and you can get lots of upgrades for them. There are also mopar bodies, no a bodies though. Vintage ones are aurora t-jets all the way. The Lionel, Marx, and other cheap off brand ones just aren't the same. Tyco did of a little red wagon style dodge A100 back in the 60's, but not a whole lot of American cars. Aurora had a 68/69 charger mix and a few AMC's, but not much other than that for Mopar.

Ranidart70 you have HO cars & track. It looks like most are Tyco/Mattel which are a lot of fun. I think you should set up a simple track, even an oval is fun, and run some cars. Clean the track rails with a pencil eraser along with the electrical pick-ups on the cars. Clean the track and rear tires on the cars , if really dirty I use lighter fluid. There's a really confusing selection of new and retro cars, each are great but you need to get your stuff running first. Let us know how it goes.

As for the 1/32 stuff that's a whole 'nother topic which can wait for now.

J-mac,dead on with the Super G-Plus cars. My tweak G's got smoked ,by a couple. Guessing hotter armanture wind.

HO slot cars are NOT HO scale or really any scale at all. HO stands for half O gauge but the cars would be too small, so a lot of modeling liberties are taken with the HO slot cars. They are typically close to Hot Wheels size.

Slot cars of any scale can be a lot of fun but too many enthusiasts make way more complicated than it needs to be.

ok, here is a thought to make things even more complex......has anyone ever tried working a resin to make your own car bodies?

think of the endless possibilities if someone can master it......I would like to have a 68 dart body ....so maybe the similarly sized dart hotwheel can make a reasonable mold and produce a resin body for the slot car chassis.

just a thought

Outside easy. If a Afx/Aurora,the inside wheelbase clips,gonna be a bear. Easiest,make your own. BTW,Tyco used to make ,an actual h-pattern 4 speed controller. Absolutely awful ,to use . Cool looking, though.Good luck.

would a Hotwheel body be too heavy ...you can get a hotwheel and drill the rivets out and use the metal body

Attachments

• CIMG2866.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 342

Attachments

• $(KGrHqV,!q8FCcw,eQN,BQsF!2YY8w~~60_57.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 319
  • $T2eC16h,!)8E9s4l90J7BQsFCnPWjw~~60_57.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 320
-
Back