Slow 6 more power

-

Got6

Reaction score
I have the 225 .Not looking to do anything crazy just a little more power. It has been 3rd built once in its hole life so it's not bored over and only about 10 thousand miles on that rebuild as of now. Any web links would be helpful.

Turbochargers are pretty cheap nowadays.

If you wanna drop some serious cash the aussies are making blower manifolds. But in all seriousness be prepared for the "by time you put enough money in it to be happy you could of had a v8". I like my slant im gonna drive it until it decides to let go then ill drop a 360 in the dart, until than ill enjoy the "crusing power".

I have the 225 .Not looking to do anything crazy just a little more power. It has been 3rd built once in its hole life so it's not bored over and only about 10 thousand miles on that rebuild as of now. Any web links would be helpful.
Welcome to FABO Got6, spend a little time paging back through this forum, this has been discussed over & over & over...................................then get ready for the
usual "chuck a V-8 in it" posts. All the basics for a decent bump in motivation have been covered here, and it's always a good trip to .org, have fun!!!

Best bang for the buck, is to increase compression ratio. More labor intensive, but if you can do the work, yourself (except for the milling) , mill the head to get a CR about 9-1 (measurements required). Should cost (parts and machining) about $200-$250. There is no downside. Get a increase in torque, horsepower, mileage.

If you wanna drop some serious cash the aussies are making blower manifolds. But in all seriousness be prepared for the "by time you put enough money in it to be happy you could of had a v8". I like my slant im gonna drive it until it decides to let go then ill drop a 360 in the dart, until than ill enjoy the "crusing power".
I like this six because you can't kill it that's why I was looking and thank you all for your help .

You can kill a slant, my first wife locked one up tight that only had 70K miles on it, wide open down hill in high gear.
Poor little engine was screaming.

I actually have had alot of them, and they all have one thing in common, no power, but are dependable.

just put a Pertronix kit in my slant and a new set of plugs, runs noticeably better performance in my van. under $100

If by "power", you really mean "torque", i.e. when leaving a stop sign, the engine itself should be fine since they were used in pickups and vans. But, the gearing matters too. Later cars came with a taller rear-end for better mileage I think. There are some things you can do by swapping parts, like perhaps the later A-999 transmission, though not easy, and you probably don't want to give up good highway manners. Cheapest re-gearing is to just install smaller diameter rear tires, and if you don't change the speedometer pickup gear to match, you will at least think you are going faster. If a very noticeable problem, you probably just need to tune your carburetor and consider modernizing your spark (many cheap solutions).

Max power comes at high rpm, with the engine screaming. If that is what you mean, the easiest fix is to just floor it and insure the kick-down linkage works and is set correctly. You can even downshift by hand. My 1996 4 cyl minivan is like that. It has almost the same power as the V-6, thanks to its DOHC and 4 valves/cyl for great breathing at high rpm. But, it doesn't have near the low-end torque. To get the power, you can't be afraid to rev the engine. But, the slant is poor on high rpm breathing, mainly because the intake and exhaust are on the same side and it has small valves. The best way to over-come that is with a compressor to force air in. Cheapest version is a turbo-charger. There is no store-bought solution, but many have done and many posts. See youtube for a guys running <10 sec in the 1/4 mile, which beats a factory HellCat. Another is a belt-driven supercharger, which gives immediate torque. Actually, the very cheapest is to connect a gas-powered leaf-blower to the intake, and people do that with many cars just for kicks.

Come on Bill. Give him some realistic help. Gas powered leaf blower, indeed. Even if it would work, it is not feasable. A999 trans has the same gear ratio has any other 904, just has heavier duty internals. (I'm not even sure the 999 trans designation was available for a slant six. However there is a 904T which is a truck trans, which uses just about the same internals as the a999. Actually the Torquestorm supercharger, is pretty affordable, and as close to a bolt on as you can get.
But none of this is what he asked about. He just wanted an afforable, mild increase in power.

It's always a damn shame to see an honest question get unhelpful answers, especially from people who know how to give good advice. Turbochargers, random advice to change the compression or the ignition without knowing what the present setup is, etc.

The only way a helpful answer can be provided to this question is after a batch of other questions have been answered: What year and model is this engine in? How many miles are on it, and where do you drive it (altitude)? What do you mean by "slow", does that mean you drive mostly on city streets at low speed but need snappier pickup, you drive on freeways with high speeds you can't presently keep up with, there are hills you have trouble climbing? What transmission does the vehicle have? Is it a California vehicle, 49-state, or Canada-spec? What does your budget look like (in money, time, and effort) for this round of upgrades? Is this your only vehicle so you need to keep downtime to no more than a weekend, or can it be laid up awhile during a longer project?

Last edited:
I agree. I based my answer, about compression increase, based on the OP stating he was looking for a "little more power, without going crazy", and the engine only had about 10,000 miles on a rebuild. I was assuming (maybe incorrectly) a good "tuneup" would go along with getting it running after the CR increase. I stand by my statement, that there is "no down side" to a CR increase (within reason) no matter what type of vehicle, or use.

I agree with Charlie about the compression increase. The thing is, it isn't something you should guess at. You need measurements to know how much to shave.
But, the first thing you should do is maximize what you have. Good tune-up, adjust the valves, fresh filters, fresh plugs, set the timing...the usual stuff.
Then, use Dan's post as a checklist and tell us what you have. That way, you can get more specific answers instead of general ideas.
$0.02, and done.

I have to wonder, since O states it is a pretty fresh engine, IF it is in tune and no issues, WOULD not the best way to add set of the pants feeling power, would be a rear gear swap?
I have had strong 2 bl slants in later Dusters with sticks that were fun for what they were.

Guesses...guesses...more guesses...new guesses on top of old guesses baked into a set of assumptions...

No, sorry, "Increase the compression" is not necessarily a right answer here. How do we know this guy doesn't just have a '73 with the timing set at 0°, the OSAC valve still hooked up, and a few other problems that make the car a complete dog? Or a '71 with that California no-vacuum-advance-til-third-gear setup? Or a '72 with the California no-valve/full-time EGR? Or a heavy '76 that started life with 2.76 rear gears and someone swapped in a 2.45 or something from an F/M body? Or…

Last edited:
As usual Dan has common sense application and views. Ours is a hotrodding hobby, which I mention to the younger guys, means take the economical way. Do not start spending $ until you have exhausted all the ways to fix it, get more power, etc... then IF your application alows, change to a 3:23 or #'55 and feel the difference taking off. ( I like the take off)

Lookit there, another guess. We don't even know what the hell kind of car/truck/van/whatever the guy has, and we're what, we're looking at a crystal ball that tells us his timing chain and gears are worn and need replacement? Pfft. C'mon. What's the point of that? How is it helpful?

Next somebody's going to suggest he empty the ashtray! Aim the headlamps! Clean the steering wheel!

17 with 1974 duster 225
Not that it helps or that hes had no activity since thursday. He might be one of those that have ome or two post and never here from again and everyones arguing about nothin at all.

There's a fair amount that can be done in terms of tuning and adjusting to wake up a '74 considerably, without tearing the motor apart to change the compression. But 1963dartgt looks to be correct; not much sign of the OP lately.

17 with 1974 duster 225
Not that it helps or that hes had no activity since thursday. He might be one of those that have ome or two post and never here from again and everyones arguing about nothin at all.
Right, & thank You. The OP has more than one thread, & a couple of posts, We do know what car etc...Hopefully He's taken My initial advice and read back through this
forum for suggestions recounted over the subject, and bopped on over to .org as well..............................

Whats your goal ?

-
Back