Slow build 71 Scamp 440

-
Now to plan out the cut. I'll wait till I get my other gear back from the sand blasting guy.
Then do the painting. Scoops, K-Frame and rear end. I notice this hood has 4 holes a side
But is missing the 4 1/8th dimple.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Attachments

• photo_001.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 379
First upgrade is the lighting. Nearly died coming out of Albany when the rain hit. Lighting was horrible and couldn't see the lines. Had a parade of cars trying to get around me.This will do the trick. H4 light upgrade. Glass

Photo 3 is the original bulb left with the new housing in the right.
Photo 4 both new housings installed.

Very happy with the purchase 109.00 Cad

View attachment photo_001.jpg

View attachment photo_004.jpg

View attachment photo_003.jpg

Last edited:
Do they make or fabricate 440 hood scoop emblems? I've seen the 340 ones. Just wondering.

Google image search brought this up, it's labeled as a '71 Charger.

Attachments

• mopp_1004_06_o+1971_dodge_charger+440_magnum.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 330
I'm guessing you mean like this but with another 4 in place of the 3. I don't think that I have ever seen one like that. You may have to butcher something else and drill new mounting holes.

Good luck!

I have the '73 Swinger, and I am probably going to keep my hood original but have thought about rather than putting the Dodge emblems back on the fenders, instead using 440 badges along with the Swinger badges, so I'm curious as to what you find.

Attachments

• 340 emblem.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 320
You could potentially make 2 440 badges out of 4 340 badges if you are very careful. It would look original to the casual (not educated in Mopar) observer, and badass.

Looks like a nice car to build. I kind of like the idea of a sleeper. A lot of people will get a surprise when you step it down.

Good idea. Now torn. Lol

I am torn on a few details of my build - paint color (thinking satin black), whether or not to paint the bumpers body color (they are rough), badges, headliner material, whether or not to black out the grille, shave the drip rails, etc.

It looks like you started with a car in much better shape than what I did, if you don't have a ton of rust / collision repair to deal with it would make sense to me to keep it looking like a stock trim package. Whatever badges you install (or leave off) the scoops will be a nice touch.

Still have to figure out this hood scoop dilemma. Some holes are present but the 4" dimple is not. May have to purchase a template.

Have to hold up on the sandblasting as well.
I may have found another 8.75 rear with unknown gears. Will want to send the whole lot to be blasted at the same time.

Cob webs now showing up and need to be cleared . Any thoughts on the following.

1:So I'm driving along and it occures to me that the rear end is making some noise. It almost sounds like an out of round tire. Thump thump thump with a slight grind/rub.
My thoughts are wheel bearings. I'm hoping its not the rearend it self as I would like to not put a ton of money in fixing it when it will be pulled for the 8 3/4 in the future. Do the rear drums have cone bearings? I'm guessing my drums are 9" all around as it's a manual brake system. I haven't put her up and got intimate with her yet but will do so this week. Just not familiar with this set up yet. Is it like this. Axel, Axel bearing, drum bearing, drum, drum bearing or am I way off on this. Just trying to understand the set up.

2: Filled up fuel tank to the top and seam to have a leak. Will try to get under her this week and see if I can determine where it's coming from. Hoping a dried out seal. Only leaks when right full. 3/4 and under,
No leak.

3: Leaky master cylinder. Car stops great but pedal slowly and I mean slowly starts to sink to the floor. Takes about a minute with the pedal depressed before it very slowly starts to make its decent. A quick release and reapply starts the process over again. No fluid loss at all. Is there a rebuild kit for this or just replace it. Seems cheap enough to replace.

4: Transmission hard shift out. First to second no problems. Second to third fine if I power into third. If I stay in second and release the pedal there is a thunk. If I power into third and relase the pedal no thunk. There is a shift rod that heads from the carb down to the transmission and is free moving. Was told to check that.

This car was sitting for a long period of time. I then woke it up and drove it from NYC to north of Toronto over a period of 5 days. So I'm guessing its very cranky.

Any thoughts guys?

Still have to figure out this hood scoop dilemma. Some holes are present but the 4" dimple is not. May have to purchase a template.

There is a resto on here of a hemi orange 340 car. You should check out how he set up a non scoop hood for scoops.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=212719&page=11

Looks like he got a template. The pieces he made for guiding his hole saw worked really well too, maybe he'd sell 'em.

Cob webs now showing up

1: a serious teardown will be needed to diagnose unless you have someone you trust who is knowledgeable about such things. It may be easier to swap in a known good rear. I have seen people talk about using Cherokee rears, also stock 7&1/4 and 8&1/4 rears out of a bodies show up on craigslist near me often enough.
2: probably filler neck or sending unit gasket. Gas tank is easy enough to drop with a floor jack once it's close to E.
3: make sure to have a look at your wheel cylinders. Even if they aren't pouring out fluid there may be a build up around the seals indicating a small leak. I've replaced a master cylinder I didn't need to before:banghead: make sure to bench bleed it if you do replace.
4: there shouldn't be any slop in your kick down linkage but I don't know if that would mess with an up shift. Will definitely shorten the life of your trans so take care of it soon anyway. Also Check your band tension, you can do it underneath the car with the tranny still in. Do a search here and on other mopar specific sites for a how to, also definitely a filter and fluid change if you haven't already.

You're on the right track with this stuff!

Cool thanks for the response. 0 fluid loss. I believe the fluid is leaking back through the o-ring in to the reservoir .

Interesting thought on the transmission.

I have a new acquaintance near me in Ontario going to guide me with the scoops. But I will check out the video.

-
Back