Slow, Driving Rustoration 1972 Dart

-

dartnlo

Has Dart Fever
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok, here goes...
1972 Dart, 318, 107,000 miles, found on Craigslist 500 miles from me in Iowa. Bought from pictures only and talking with owner over about 10 days. My plan is to get it running great and drive it. Slowly as money and time allows I'll start working on the rust, the other exterior issues, and fixing up the interior. My goal is a nice looking daily driver. I'll update this along the way. It's going to be a long trip.

I had a 1970 Swinger /6 car, that I dropped a 360 into, from 1989 - 1992. I had to sell it when my dad was moving while I was away at college. Over the last 30 years I told the story of the one that got away so many times. The 72 is filling a Dart sized hole in my soul! I called the 70, Dart'n'lo. Here is the whole story if you care to read it: What a long strange trip it's been

So here's my plan, and yes it's not for everybody. I'm ordering the following items right off the bat. I got the car for less than I had planned on spending so I have the luxury of getting it running right quickly. The seller said it needed brake work, he said it stops but just not well, also needs carb work ... but it runs well. Don't they all. The transmission pan looks wet.

New wheel cylinders, shoes, and drums.
Brake Master Cylinder
Fuel tank and sending unit
Fuel pump
Carburetor
Muffler & hangers
Power steering pump & lines
Radiator & hoses & thermostat
Voltage Regulator & Alternator
Drive belts
u-joints
transmission filter kit
shocks
Air conditioner drier and 134a conversion kit (just in case the compressor isn't frozen and the condenser doesn't leak)
and
Wiper blades

I'm drop shipping the parts to the location of the vehicle, because ... I'm driving it home. I'm taking the amtrak My 79 year old father is driving me to Webster City Iowa from Kansas and fixing it there a la Roadkill™ It may not even need all of this stuff but I'm a former boy scout and we like to be prepared as much as we like a cool adventure and anything it doesn't "need" I can return.

The tires are supposed to be roadworthy and the front end has new parts. Also I'm not dumb and if it's absolutely not safe I'll rent a uhaul, but I'd rather have a nice leisurely road trip in it. Something I never really did when I was younger and last had a dart. I'll be taking older US Routes and state highways home to properly take in the scenery and have chats with locals that want to talk mopar with me at gas stations.

I really wanted a 1970 with a slant 6 but I just couldn't wait to get my hands on an A-body. But If you want a 318 car and have a slant six in reasonably similar shape, I'd be willing to discuss ... I won't be able to pick it up for about a month so all I can do is plan and salivate.

Your thoughts and concerns are appreciated. Especially any parts you think I'm lacking short of a tow vehicle and new motor and transmission ;)

dart01.jpg
dart02.jpg
dart03.jpg
dart04.jpg
dart05.jpg
dart06.jpg
dart07.jpg
dart08.jpg
dart09.jpg
dart10.jpg

Last edited:
I almost called the deal off when I saw the missing dome light lens. I'm hoping it's in the glove box! :steering:

dart11.jpg
dart12.jpg
dart13.jpg
dart14.jpg
dart15.jpg
dart16.jpg
dart17.jpg
dart18.jpg
dart19.jpg
dart20.jpg

Engine oil and filter
Transmission fluid
Hose clamps
Antifreeze
drain pan
ballast resistor
timing light
points and rotor and dist cap. (if is not electronic, not sure about a '72)
fuel filter
a length of rubber 5/16" fuel line
spare tire, jack, and lug wrench
Lots of tools
A Bible, and a AAA membership - you may need them. Best of luck on your journey.

A Bible, and a AAA membership - you may need them. Best of luck on your journey.

:lol:

All good things!
ballast resistor
timing light
points and rotor and dist cap. (if is not electronic, not sure about a '72)

There is an O'reilly's in the town, thank goodness. I'll probably just park there. There's a church across the street, and a dairy queen. Unfortunately the liquor stores are all about a mile away. The car is actually at a car lot with a garage. Still working out details with the seller on my ability to work in a garage with tools.

Get a couple of 5 gallon gas tanks, a clear fuel filter, 20 feet of rubber fuel line and some tie wraps. I once had a truck that clogged the fuel line and pickup on a trip. I put the two 5 gallon gas tanks in the bed, dropped one end of the rubber hose into one tank, ran the other end of the rubber hose to my fuel pump with the filter in the line and drove 500 miles just by switching the rubber line from tank to tank and refilling the other. That will get you home if the gas tank is bad.

Last edited:
Smell t gas and if bad just drop the tank and clean it out best you can. Make sure the pickup tube is open. Doubt parts store will carry the sock for it.
Life is an adventure! I have made it that far on a wish and a prayer. Prayer is important.
Seems like my carb problems in your case can be a stucking float.

Smell t gas and if bad just drop the tank and clean it out best you can. Make sure the pickup tube is open. Doubt parts store will carry the sock for it.
Life is an adventure! I have made it that far on a wish and a prayer. Prayer is important.
Seems like my carb problems in your case can be a stucking float.

Sounds good maybe I won't bother with taking a new tank. Perhaps just a pickup instead. If it's just a bowl that would be great. I may still take a new carb just incase, plus shiny new things are fun!

I bought my first part already! A license plate that kind of says my name. I could have gone for one that was correct for my last name and county but this seemed more interesting.

bobdarttag.jpg

Hopefully the seller will send me photo of the fender tag today. I have the VIN and it shows:

vinDECODER.jpg

The previous owner titled it in 2000 in Iowa, It was a trade-in at the car dealership I bought it from.

Isn't it totally amazing the rush we all get buying an old car!! Heck I even get goose bumps when someone on here buys one!!

Have fun and be safe!!

Isn't it totally amazing the rush we all get buying an old car!! Heck I even get goose bumps when someone on here buys one!!

Have fun and be safe!!
It is! I get totally consumed by it! Especially knowing I won't be picking it up for at least two more weeks. I'm calming myself by looking at parts and prices.

I'm doing everything I can at home while I wait to pick it up. I feel like an expectant parent getting a baby room ready. I cleaned out the garage. A very small garage. I'll have to turn the car around depending on which end I want to work on. Tools organized, new welder purchased, and motorcycle and parts crammed into the back corners for space. Looks like the bicycles and lawn mower are going under tarps this winter. I may even have to sell the beer fridge to make more room. Luckily it has a loft storage area at the back to store parts!

Also my vintage 1972 Kansas tag arrived today!

Anyone have suggestions for modern headlights? I'm sure I'll be driving the highways at night on the way home at times. I found these:

https://tinyurl.com/y9njdqd4

Anyone have experience with these?

When my dad found out I bought this car he volunteered to drive me there and follow me back. Which is nice because he is part of the reason I don't still have my 70 Swinger :poke:

So I'm making a realistic parts list that I feel comfortable with. Safety and reliability are my main concerns. We'll be doing the repairs in an O'reilly's parking lot because the seller is going racing and I can't use his shop. I've narrowed down the list of things I plan on doing before taking off 500 miles towards home.

The fist thing I'm going to do is drive it to see what I bought!

Then:
Complete brake job, drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, and a master cylinder. Hoping if I need lines the local O'reilly's can help me there.
At least a new muffler and tailpipe. I don't want to be noisy and huff fumes all the way home.
New fuel tank sending unit, fuel filter and new stock 2bbl carb (checking gas tank for filth)
Transmission filter kit.
Spark plugs, wires, coil, distributor cap, and a Pertronix ignitor
Battery & possibly alternator & voltage regulator
Belts & Hoses & thermostat.
Oil and filter change
Shocks
Change all exterior lights and lamps

I would think if the engine is in otherwise good shape, this "tune up" will make it road worthy to say the least.

A question on the Pertonix 1381A. Is it really as easy to wire up as removing the ballast from the equation and hooking up the red wire from the ignitor to the positive terminal on the coil and hooking up the black to the negative coil terminal?

Anyone have a windshield washer reservoir? Will this have a foot pump like my 70 Swinger had?

What kind of fuel mileage can I expect?

I hope the radio works.

This is going to be the longest 2 weeks of my life :D

:steering:

Google exhaust shops in the area Meinike, midas, etc and price a custom bent dual exhaust. By the time you buy a muffler and tailpipe and try to crawl around under it and attach it to a used "y" pipe with hand tools in a parking lot, the price of a good custom system might seem pretty reasonable (especially if you factor in the added fuel economy of duals)

Google exhaust shops in the area Meinike, midas, etc and price a custom bent dual exhaust. By the time you buy a muffler and tailpipe and try to crawl around under it and attach it to a used "y" pipe with hand tools in a parking lot, the price of a good custom system might seem pretty reasonable (especially if you factor in the added fuel economy of duals)

Thanks Greg,

Honestly of everything I plan on doing there this is where I'm going cheapest. I'm looking at about $60 in parts including a walker tail-pipe. Mostly interested in quieting this car down from the straight pipe/missing muffler situation it has. I'm just planning on cutting the flange off, clamping a glass pack and tail pipe on, put clamp on hanger and head down the road. I'm not going to lie, you're right it would be great to already have that done when I get there, but right now I'm spending the most of the budget on more routine maintenance/reliability items.

I'll get the duals done sooner or later by my favorite local muffler guy who knows I'm cheap! :)

What's the term for a piece meal restoration that you do over time that keeps the vehicle driving most of the time? I'm not looking to do a strip down restoration, my garage isn't big enough. Just want to keep it looking stock and stopping the advance of rust while I cruise the streets in it. I hate to tell people I'm doing a restoration because it seems to up the expectations?

I guess it's whatever I think it is but ... just curious! :rolleyes:

If you need to do any work inside the car in a small garage you may find removing the doors first makes things much easier. They could be stored in the loft space you mentioned. A friend has built several rods in his small garage (in the UK small is 'very' small) and always leaves the doors off until the very last minute.
Cheers, Neil.

If you need to do any work inside the car in a small garage you may find removing the doors first makes things much easier. They could be stored in the loft space you mentioned. A friend has built several rods in his small garage (in the UK small is 'very' small) and always leaves the doors off until the very last minute.
Cheers, Neil.

Great idea! When I was measuring to see how I would work in there I was wondering how I would open a door. I was thinking I would just slide one side or the other. This garage is barely 14 x 24 feet! :eek:

Sounds like a great trip coming up, like barbee said we get excited too! I've done two road trips back in unknown vehicles. One 600 miles and one 1200 miles. These old cars are pretty resilient with some basic maintenance. When I picked up my 79 Powerwagon we went to the local auto parts store like your gonna do and went over the truck. We fixed what we thought it needed to make the trip, and drove straight through with no issues, thank god! Funny thing was the guy I bought it off of happened to pass by and see us at the parts store with the hood up. He came flying in brakes squealing, and wanted to know if we were ok. Best of luck on your trip and keep us posted!

Subscribed for two reasons, one just to see how much fun the roadkill style road trip is and two coz it’s a cool car, good luck and I look forward to seeing your progress

Sounds like a great trip coming up, like barbee said we get excited too! I've done two road trips back in unknown vehicles. One 600 miles and one 1200 miles. These old cars are pretty resilient with some basic maintenance. When I picked up my 79 Powerwagon we went to the local auto parts store like your gonna do and went over the truck. We fixed what we thought it needed to make the trip, and drove straight through with no issues, thank god! Funny thing was the guy I bought it off of happened to pass by and see us at the parts store with the hood up. He came flying in brakes squealing, and wanted to know if we were ok. Best of luck on your trip and keep us posted!

Here's hoping our trip is as uneventful!

-
Back