Slow going from first to second

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
904 with Trans go 2 shift kit.normaly I like shifting manually,when getting into her.cruseing shift Fine all 3 gears,but if if I floor it takes forever to go from first to second ,me hopen it's just an throttle pleasure adjustment.thanks for your help boys.

You mean it stays in first a long time then goes to second? If so, shorten the kickdown linkage a little and try it again.

No it does not shift to second unless I let off the gas a bit
Was the transmission shifting properly before installing the shift kit? You need to make sure the kickdown lever on the transmission is all the way forward when the throttle is closed. Is the original kickdown linkage from the carb to the trans in place and functional?

Was the transmission shifting properly before installing the shift kit? You need to make sure the kickdown lever on the transmission is all the way forward when the throttle is closed. Is the original kickdown linkage from the carb to the trans in place and functional?
YES trans shifting fine org linkage,and is forward when closed,if i leave it in D floor it it goes 123 just fine, if say at 25 to 30 in second gear i floor it, it will down shift to first and seams to hold onto first, dont want to blow up my new 360.thanks for hanging in on this.

No it does not shift to second unless I let off the gas a bit
Kickdown linkage adjustment. Post a photo of your throttle/kickdown linkage at the carburetor.

YES trans shifting fine org linkage,and is forward when closed,if i leave it in D floor it it goes 123 just fine, if say at 25 to 30 in second gear i floor it, it will down shift to first and seams to hold onto first, dont want to blow up my new 360.thanks for hanging in on this.
My question was: was the transmission shifting correctly prior to installing the shift kit?

yes there is a bolt this is the 1 piece rod, i know this is a B body car, i should be asking there but i always like this site for info.had a body for years but i jump ship 4 years back.
Show us what it looks like. It should look something like this although different years and models have different designs, they all do the same thing.
mopar kickdown linkage2.JPG

If your slotted rod is solid there are extension pieces available if you need one. The linkage in the carb photo is waaaaaay out of adjustment. The carb pin should be at the back of the slot and not the front. It needs the extension.

kickdown.jpg

kickdown adapter Edelbrock 8004.jpg

Show us what it looks like. It should look something like this although different years and models have different designs, they all do the same thing. View attachment 1715942824
same as mine, but its a 318 2BB now 4BB.T now with the bolt trick, i just unbolt that 7 1/6 nut and slid the rod forward ,when i put the 360 in i seam to rember playing with that adjustment.

If your slotted rod is solid there are extension pieces available if you need one. The linkage in the carb photo is waaaaaay out of adjustment. The carb pin should be at the back of the slot and not the front. It needs the extension.

View attachment 1715942826

View attachment 1715942827
mine is not like that.i do wish this PC was up to snuff, cant post pics anymore its a pos or maybe i am lol.

same as mine, but its a 318 2BB now 4BB.T now with the bolt trick, i just unbolt that 7 1/6 nut and slid the rod forward ,when i put the 360 in i seam to rember playing with that adjustment.
Yep going from 2 to 4 bbl. you need a extension or different rods. The round rod will accept the extension I posted above. If your slotted adjuster is a flat bar you need to somehow lengthen it so that the carb pin is at the back of the slot. The bottom line, at wide open throttle, the kickdown lever on the transmission should also be wide open.
You should also have a light spring to keep the linkage against the pin. You can burn your transmission up if the kickdown isn't adjusted properly.

kickdown6.jpg

kickdown5.JPG

kickdown4.jpg

I'm not so sure, should it have a nut and bolt in the slot?

So...it didn't do it BEFORE the shift kit......time to double check all the shift kit installation steps.

-
Back