Slow Shipping USPS

-

krazykuda

FABO Gold Member
How-To Section Editor
Reaction score
I have been expecting a package in the this week... It's late...

So I look up the tracking on it today and it was close to me in Chicago, then they sent it for a loop around Des Moines, Iowa!!! WTF??? :wtf:

Look at this tracking... It was in the Chicago distribution center on 8/2, then somehow went to DES MOINES, IA on 8/4??? Then to Aurora, IL on 8/5/20 and back to the Chicago distribution center on 8/5/20 where it was back on 8/2/20...

Why the hell did they send it to Des Moines to come back to Chicago??? :steering: :wtf:

But they claim that they need money and have to raise the rates... :mad:

Maybe if they didn't send packages for unnecessary loops around the country, they wouldn't need to increase our rates....

Package 080620 AA.jpg

It's happening everywhere. I've had packages overdue by three days now. Matt, my friend who owns the body shop down the road I was helping earlier this year is in the same boat and that directly affects his business. No doubt "COVID19" will be in the excuse somewhere.

It's happening everywhere. I've had packages overdue by three days now. Matt, my friend who owns the body shop down the road I was helping earlier this year is in the same boat and that directly affects his business. No doubt "COVID19" will be in the excuse somewhere.

I have three other packages coming from the same place, and they are just stuck in limbo, but haven't gone around "the loop"....

The distribution hubs are short handed and they are handling the big packages first then the smaller ones, same here a package came to the local hub, then to Philly, then back and it was 5 days late.

Perhaps the Iowa postal centre is twiddling their thumbs so in an effort to not cut jobs they are tossing some work to Iowa? Remember that Government run companies are not often models of efficiency.

USPS is falling apart. I have never had an issue until lately. I cent a cam and a box of lifters to Dallas. The box arrived late, heavily damaged and taped up with the lifters missing inside. I am not holding my breath that the insurance will cover the loss.

I have had packages recently take a month to get after being shipped. One from Texas hit the distribution center and sat there for 3 weeks. I had one this week come in and arrive at my post office that is also a distribution center then go to Pontiac then Detroit then Lincoln Park and finally back to my post office for delivery where it was 4 days earlier.

New postmaster general has pretty much eliminated overtime, and forced "by the book" route start times even if mail for that route is still being sorted, which then has to wait until the next day.

Rumor is it's politically motivated.

I have had packages recently take a month to get after being shipped. One from Texas hit the distribution center and sat there for 3 weeks. I had one this week come in and arrive at my post office that is also a distribution center then go to Pontiac then Detroit then Lincoln Park and finally back to my post office for delivery where it was 4 days earlier.
I absolutely don't understand how or why that happens. What a waste.

The new Postmaster General is to blame.
He's instructing everyone to curtail mail.
I'm retired from the P/O but still talk to my friends. They're telling me that they must leave the P/O by 9:10 AM whether they have all their mail cased or not. The route I had would have, on a light day, 15' to 21' of letter mail, and 100-150 parcels.
The guy who has it now told me he took out 2.5' of letters and 27 parcels. He said he could be done in 2 hours.
Said stuff is getting rotated around at the processing plant. Put on semi trailers, and just delayed.
It's not right.

New postmaster general has pretty much eliminated overtime, and forced "by the book" route start times even if mail for that route is still being sorted, which then has to wait until the next day.

Rumor is it's politically motivated.
Eliminating overtime, not around here.
My regular mailman is telling me he's working 10-12 hour days, and lots of times 6 days a week.
Guess that postmaster general's memo hasn't got down to the local postmasters office, here in my city.

The Post Office I use has usually 4-5 people standing behind the counter most days. There is usually only one service window open, the other is for incoming packages or pick up of packages. They 2-3 other people behind the counter are standing there doing nothing, I've been there as long an hour in line & witnessed this, I guess if you have enough rank in a civil service job you get to stand around & watch others work.

The Post Office I use has usually 4-5 people standing behind the counter most days. There is usually only one service window open, the other is for incoming packages or pick up of packages. They 2-3 other people behind the counter are standing there doing nothing, I've been there as long an hour in line & witnessed this, I guess if you have enough rank in a civil service job you get to stand around & watch others work.
May not have been clerks. May have been mail handlers, carriers or other crafts. One thing you do not do in the P/O is cross crafts.

No they are all clerks, when I've been in there at other times the people who stand around man the counter. One of the guys I see in the local grocery store & we've talked about the slackers there. He doesn't want to rock the boat because he's less than 6 months from retirement.

Some folks my feel the need to blame the new PMG. Truth of the matter is the USPS has been a bleeding ulcer. I worked in one of the biggest processing plants. Quick idea of how things work. The opening unit, 010, was supposed to have been done by 11:15 p.m. Last trucks did not show up until 11:30. Which means nightly OT. For not only 010 but some of automation, because tour 1 could not finish any mail left by tour 3 (stupid yes but welcome to the USPS). The next day all 75 employees in 010 stood around idle for 3 hours, waiting for mail to show up. then this happens again...The opening unit, 010, was supposed to have been done by 11:15 p.m. Last trucks did not show up until 11:30. Which means nightly OT. For not only 010 but some of automation, because tour 1 could not finish any mail left by tour 3 (stupid yes but welcome to the USPS). Care to guess what the next day would be like?..instead of just adjusting mail pick up times/dispatch times the USPS hands out OT like it is candy. Then complains how the "craft employees" are why the USPS has not been in the black for decades. Hmmm...that seems more like a logistics (there is management personal with that title) issue.
One day I was on break. I counted 14 fully loaded car carriers of mini vans pulling into the back of the USPS. These vehicles were parked in the corner of the employee lot. Twice a month a company was paid to come out and pressure wash the entire fleet of them, where they sat. 5 years later not one of these vehicles had moved. Many of them had flats (tires dry rot quickly in the AZ heat). About this time an employee of the Bulk Mail unit needed to go out to a mailer to look into a problem. None of the vehicles that she would have normally used were available, so management decided to send her in one of the mini vans. Took her over 90 minutes to find one that did not have a dead battery...and would start.
I ordered something a while back. Tracking said the USPS took possession of it on June 1st. It arrived on July 20th. Was a Priority package, departing from CA heading to WA.
I started me sentence with the USPS in January of 1991. Was paroled on August 5th 2008. The entire time one thing I always said....the reason the USPS is NEVER in the black is because of the way it operates. To pay 40 employees OT nightly, due to poorly scheduled arrival/dispatch times only to have the same 40 employees standing around for 3-4 hours the next day is simply stupid. To have 2 employees per supervisor is simply stupid. I think it is time that the USPS gets run like a business....not the joke it is now....#weldthedoorsshut

This is 100% political non-sense. The USPS was perfectly fine until the recent vote by mail ballot issues have been brought to light. I won’t point fingers towards either political side but, thanks to politics we (once again) can’t have a service that worked perfectly fine before its recent meddling.

It's not just the PO.

Every time we opened a new building, I'd ask the desktop support guy to have the guy for the area of the new building and the one or two for the next area over to help set up the computers (I'm the network guy and I was busy setting up the server and switches), and invariably he'd send 8 or 10 guys. they would usually stand around for about an hour while I had to micro manage them (even though they weren't my guys, i was higher pay grade than their supervisor) about unboxing while I was doing my stuff and always a few would get bored and leave, making sure to bad mouth me to their boss.

Every single time I'd repeat the same request and remind him what happened the previous time, and every single time he'd send 10 guys.

Never learned.

Sometimes a few agile workers are MUCH better than a LOT of workers.

May not have been clerks. May have been mail handlers, carriers or other crafts. One thing you do not do in the P/O is cross crafts.
"One thing you do not do in the P/O is cross crafts".....extremely far from the truth. I started in the West Jersey General Mail Facility as a Mailhandler. We had 104 stations we processed mail for, none of them had Mailhandlers. Clerks/Carriers did the 30 minutes of Mailhandler work that was needed daily. The Mailhandlers union fought this tooth and nail. Management told us that they would be glad to create a bid job in all of the stations. Whomever bid that job would work the 30 necessary minutes and then call it a day. Needless to say that did not happen. Mailhandlers, thanks to a real stupid decision they made back in 92 or so are (now it may not be true) paid less then clerks/carriers. So if a clerk/carrier filed a grievance for doing the 30 minutes of mailhandler work management would gladly pay them the lower salary for the 2 hours and 15 minutes weekly.
Transferred to Phoenix. Worked in the Phoenix Processing and Distribution center. We processed mail for the entire state of AZ, minus 856-857 towns, which were handled by the Tucson plant. Only retail facility that had Mailhandlers was the Processing and Distribution Center. Rio Salado, where flats were processed, had Mailhandlers. But I don't think they had a retail unit. If I remember correctly Rio no longer exists, the flats are processed at the West Valley center. Out of the no doubt thousand, probably more, USPS facilities (minus the 856-57) area the only facilities that have Mailhandlers in AZ are the Processing Center, the Airport (and I think that once the FedEx deal come into existence most of the Mailhandler jobs were abolished at the Airport) and the West Valley facility. I know when I tried to transfer to Eastern Washington the only facility that has Mailhandlers is the Airport/Processing Center. Pretty sure that the only facility in Montana that has mail handlers is somewhere in the Billings area.
On a side note. Most of, if not all, the maintenance craft go to Norman Oklahoma for training. I was friends with many of the ET's & Mechanics. Many of them showed me images of the fully automated USPS "plant" that was under development. The entire process, minus hooking up the containers of mail to tow vehicles, was fully automated. From what they told me this plant was what the USPS is hoping for...at some point down the road. My 5 or 6 buddies that showed me the images and got a tour of the place told me that there was several things holding them back. The first is obviously the $$. The second is the Unions. I know in the Phoenix area the APWU was losing members at an alarming rate for the longest time. Don't remember the specifics....but part of the Postal Reorganization Act of 1970 was when the Unions started. Part of the agreement between the USPS and the Unions (APWU in particular) was that if the Union membership were to drop below a certain percentage, of that particular craft, that the Union WILL be abolished. I found this info on the APWU bulletin board in the plant. The date on the memo was from only a few moths prior to me reading it. At that time the APWU was only a few percentage points from being abolished. I think they were at 68% of the craft were members...and the abolishment number was 65% (not real sure of the numbers but the difference between them was not that far apart.

This is 100% political non-sense. The USPS was perfectly fine until the recent vote by mail ballot issues have been brought to light. I won’t point fingers towards either political side but, thanks to politics we (once again) can’t have a service that worked perfectly fine before its recent meddling.
No disrespect but you OBVIOUSLY know nothing about what goes on inside the USPS.

"One thing you do not do in the P/O is cross crafts".....extremely far from the truth.
Where I was at, you didn't cross crafts. This was because NALC, NRLCA, and APWU all were at odds with each other. A grievance would get filed for every little whip stitch. If a carrier was told to do clerk work, clerks would grieve it, if a clerk did mail handler work, mail handlers would grieve that. It just went on and on. When a grievance was filed, mgnt was there to ***** at the offender. It got to the point that no one was willing to to do basic things for fear of getting a write up or worse.
The carrier the next case over left 3 bundles of Advos sit on the floor for three days because the clerks dropped them 18" from his coffin.
It was that toxic. You know who created that? Management. I was expected to carry my route, as well as become a mailbox mechanic. I didn't mind that so much, but I was never given time to be a mailbox mechanic and was bitched at and threatened with discipline because I had a CBU that was rusted to hell and I spent an hour fixing it. (My resolution was to go to the APWU and let them know I fixed the CBU and they grieved it wanting to know why a carrier was crossing crafts, taking the heat off of me)
The PO has a ton of issues and they all begin and end with the current management.
Not going to lie, the only thing Obama did for me was declare that the PO would cut back to 3 day delivery. That got management to offer early retirements and with my military time I got in under the wire! I don't miss the PO at all.

@inkjunkie Let's agree to disagree on this subject. I'm sure we both have better things to do than senselessly argue back-and-forth about the political or non-political disruption of standard USPS deliveries.

Another one this week:

An order from Amazon that's coming from North Haven, CT was shipped on 8/6, arrived at the Chicago regional center on 8/8, was shipped out of the distribution center on 8/10 (supposedly), was supposed to be delivered today on 8/11, is now "on its way to the next facility"- and now expected delivery is tomorrow by 8:30 PM...

How much you wanna bet it won't arrive tomorrow...

Sidenote:

I ordered some nuts and bolts from McMaster Carr, they were shipped yesterday on UPS and already arrived today...

One day delivery - that's how it's supposed to be done beyotches.... :popcorn: :usflag:

I did send a message to USPS giving them the tracking number for the UPS package to show them how bad they are... :poke: :lol:

Oh yeah, my missing packages from the first post arrived this Saturday... :wtf:

(after giving them some feedback on line for being so late...)

-
Back