Slow to build oil pressure

-

69V

Reaction score
Hello,
I have had a problem on my 69 Valiant where if I let the car sit for more than 24 hours and I go to start it up. It does not build oil pressure, and even starts knocking for a second or two. Then all of the sudden the oil pressure builds, engine quiets down. I run at 45 psi at Idle and 55 while driving. Got 15-40 oil in it and a wix filter on it.

Any ideas what could cause this? I don’t want to ruin an engine that runs great otherwise.

Thanks in advance

The bypass in the oil pump might be sticking. If the motor is older, and the oil is super black when changed, it might not be a bad idea to put a can of oil system cleaner through it. Justice Brothers or Lucas is what I’ve used in the pass. This should help remove sludge that’s built up over time that’s causing slow oil pressure.

If you don't have a stand pipe on the oil filter mount, you need the correct filter that has a built in standpipe. Wix has been recommended, but I forget the correct number.

Both good ideas, I did order a new wix filter and will give that a go.

Pretty sure it's the oil pump pressure relief valve service it. Clean it lube it and run it.

So I did both things one after another. First filter change, and that helped a lot. Oil pressure was still slower than I am used from other cars thou. So next was the relief valve. And that changed everything. thank you guys for the help.

Why are you running such a thick oil, are you burning it or what? You live in TN; your oil doesn't need to be that thick unless you have other issues that require you to use a thicker oil!

Why are you running such a thick oil, are you burning it or what? You live in TN; your oil doesn't need to be that thick unless you have other issues that require you to use a thicker oil!
My guess is he's using one of the high-zinc oils which are usually thicker. But I agree, you want to use the thinnest oil that still gives at least 15 psi oil pressure at hot idle. Might try some 10W-30 or 10W-40.

-
Back