Sludge in radiator.......

-

808humbo1

Reaction score
hi, i have a rebuilt slant 6 and now the coolant is turning to a reddish brownish sludge.....i have to add fluid every other day or so if i drive far.....what does this mean/how can i fix it? oh.....and i have one of those flushing adapters put into one of the hoses where i can just screw in a water hose to flush my radiator....my question is what do i need to open up while flushing? is it only the hole at the bottom of the radiator? thanks in advance!

to do a good flush 1 drain water 2ad a box or bottle of cascade YES cascade dish washing powder or liquid i like using the liquid better.fill rad. back up and make sure its full after motor warms up.and drive it for a day or two.3 drain take thermostat out. with it out and cap off rad.put water hose were the cap goes turn on water and you will see stuff come out that you never that was possible.run water until clear.put it back together (be sure to run heater will doing the flush) this work better than any thing you can buy it will clean your hole system.and i would say that system is clogged up and pushing out water.just trying to help im sure you will hear different ways but this is the cheapest way i have found and does a better job.

wow....thanks for the info...ill try it on wed......how do you take the thermostat out?

and where do you drain it from? do i just unscrew that wingnut looking thing at the bottom of the radiator? thanks again!

and where do you drain it from? do i just unscrew that wingnut looking thing at the bottom of the radiator? thanks again!

If you bought a Prestone backflush kit, did your read the directions"??

http://www.prestone.com/products/print.php?fam=12&num=2&name=Prestone+R+Flush+N+Fill+Kit&regTM=1

Overview
Professionally backflushes cooling systems of most cars and light trucks on the road today. Easily installs antifreeze/coolant in minutes.

Instructions

Install
Make sure engine is cool, then loosen radiator cap to release any pressure and re-tighten cap. If radiator has no cap, loosen and re-tighten the pressure cap on the expansion tank, if so equipped. If it has a conventional recovery system (a non-pressurized plastic bottle) and no radiator cap accessibility, vent and reseal the system via the cap covering the thermostat.
Two heater hoses extend from the fire wall to the engine, in both front and rear wheel drive vehicles. Hose #1 runs from fire wall to water pump. Hose #2 runs from fire wall to top of engine. This is the heater inlet hose. Ask a qualified mechanic if uncertain.

Back Flush

Make sure engine is cool, remove radiator cap and Flushing TEE Cap. Attach Back-Flow Preventer Coupler to Flushing TEE and water supply line (black end to tee, Yellow end to garden hose). If vehicle has no cap on the radiator, it is possible to back flush by disconnecting the upper radiator hose at the radiator.
When appropriate, snap Splash Tube into radiator neck and open radiator drain. Turn on water to garden hose. Check to see that liquid is emerging from the Deflector Tube or radiator hose fitting before proceeding.
Fill

Determine how much Prestone® Antifreeze/Coolant to install to achieve a minimum 50%, maximum 70% solution for year round protection.
With cap off TEE, pour the full amount of Antifreeze/Coolant into radiator, expansion tank, or thermostat housing opening. Water and slight amount of diluted Antifreeze/Coolant will be displaced from flushing TEE.
After adding antifreeze/coolant, quickly replace Flushing TEE Cap. Make sure gasket is in place. Tighten securely by hand. Replace radiator cap.
Run engine for 10 minutes after reaching normal operating temperatures, then shut engine off and allow to cool. Add more Antifreeze/Coolant to properly fill the system. Replace cap tightly.

to do a good flush 1 drain water 2ad a box or bottle of cascade YES cascade dish washing powder or liquid i like using the liquid better.fill rad. back up and make sure its full after motor warms up.and drive it for a day or two.3 drain take thermostat out. with it out and cap off rad.put water hose were the cap goes turn on water and you will see stuff come out that you never that was possible.run water until clear.put it back together (be sure to run heater will doing the flush) this work better than any thing you can buy it will clean your hole system.and i would say that system is clogged up and pushing out water.just trying to help im sure you will hear different ways but this is the cheapest way i have found and does a better job.

Actually, I like this. The use of a detergent sounds good to me as a chemical flush can break things loose and not properly dissolve the crap, leaving a nice clogged heater core that will soon be leaking on the floor. Thanks for the tip, godfather. Next flush I do, I'll have to try this one.

Great tip. I'm trying it next time for sure! My only question is, lemon or orange scent? :-D
Tom.

-
Back