Small block 360 cam choice

-

texas360

Reaction score
So I had a Comp xe274h and just recently sold it. So now I'm looking for a different cam. What are my best options for a good weekend cruiser with a little lope, but some decent power(I know compression is gonna kill alot). Little to know track time. Just cruise to shows, work occasionally and just around town.. I don't need wicked power. Something reliable with a little power when I need it. I know just stock this 360 will probably out perform my 318.

360, stock bottom end with dish pistons, 2600 stall in reverse manual 904 with 3:55. Wieand stealth intake, eddy carb and I can run a stock distributor or one locked out at 35-36° total.

whiplash cam. Specifically made for low compression motors, gives tough lopey sound, and will increase performance.

Last edited:
340 cam.

Or lunati high efficiency grind, like the .454 lift or whatever it is I just looked at...lol... only has about 38-40 degrees overlap and 210 @.050

340 cam.

Or lunati high efficiency grind, like the .454 lift or whatever it is I just looked at...lol... only has about 38-40 degrees overlap and 210 @.050
I was told a stock 360 cam now is same as a 340 cam. My bkock is a 76

Gotcha. The whiplash is the cam Hughes builds for low compression right?
Another brand would be Thumper. I think Hughes has some kind of warranty if you buy their cam and lifters as a set the lobes won't go flat. You don't need a ton of spring pressure for the cam. Too much spring pressure when it's not needed can aid in the cam going flat on break in. I personally never ran the Whiplash because I pick cams for different reasons, but it may be the right cam for you.

Couple lunati cams that will work..From works great ..to will work..

High Efficiency Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam - Chrysler 273-360 260/260
40 degrees overlap

High Efficiency Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam - Chrysler 273-360 253/265
44 degrees

May as well pull .025 aka 4cc from the heads if the motor is put or almost apart for a cam install...then you can get bigger on the cam till the gears say otherwise. Soft compression is a slouchy companion
Could either one if these run with stock springs?

Another brand would be Thumper. I think Hughes has some kind of warranty if you buy their cam and lifters as a set the lobes won't go flat. You don't need a ton of spring pressure for the cam. Too much spring pressure when it's not needed can aid in the cam going flat on break in. I personally never ran the Whiplash because I pick cams for different reasons, but it may be the right cam for you.
I'll definitely be looking into it.

I ran a Melling cam .444/.467 int/exh, 288/298 degree duration, slightly more lift than a stock '68 340 4 spd cam. Good performance and noticeable idle, have put the same one in the latest 360, have not fired it yet though. Works fine with the stock 360 springs.

Only thing comp cams I use would be valve gear-retainers,locks,springs.
Cams...nope. push rods...nope.

You're gonna find less is more with stock bottom ends and cams

comp 262 extreme energy. Has a little lope and good power. Should give you between 275 and 300 hp. Works way better than the thumper cammed 360 i rode in.

What's up with these Bullet Cams I hear about and also the Elgin cans?

-
Back