Small Block 727 question

-

Pumpkinduster

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am in the process of collecting my parts to do my motor swap. I have a 74 Duster slant 6 with the a904 auto tran. I have a 318 that is going in the car. My question is I have someone that has a good 727 that is bolted to a 360 (motor stays unfortunately) that came out of a truck. Is there anything that would prevent that tranny from being used in the Duster? Shouldn't the cross members be in the same place. I am already going to need a new drive shaft so that isn't a concern right now.

Nothing stoping you, grab it. Be sure to grab the flex plate and you will have to knock the weight off the torque converter to work with your 318. Crossmember is the same.

Running a truck 727 behind my 408, originally a 318/904 car reused all the brackets, but had to make a mounting tab out of angle iron for one of brackets. Nothing major

I wouldn't knock the weight off. I always cut down thru the weight and thru the welds to weaken them; ever since I tore a hole in a converter.

I would just run the 904 , thats what the 318's came with anyway , not sure if the slanty has a different bell housing or not but the 904 guts are lighter and eat less power

Also grab the torque converter dust shield and dipstick. This is a long tail shaft version? Some trucks have shorties depending on platform.

I noticed no one has mentioned that the drive shaft length will change also. I was fortunate enough to locate a fella in need of a 904 shaft and had a 727 shaft even exchange and each paid for shipping their current shaft. Not always that fortunate though.

I noticed no one has mentioned that the drive shaft length will change also. I was fortunate enough to locate a fella in need of a 904 shaft and had a 727 shaft even exchange and each paid for shipping their current shaft. Not always that fortunate though.
The OP said that in his inquiry.

Nothing stoping you, grab it. Be sure to grab the flex plate and you will have to knock the weight off the torque converter to work with your 318. Crossmember is the same.

^^And does your Duster have a console? If so, you will need a transmission with the "underneath" holes for the shifter shaft support. These are at the bottom of the transmission tail casting I think just in front of the mount

I would just run the 904 , thats what the 318's came with anyway , not sure if the slanty has a different bell housing or not but the 904 guts are lighter and eat less power
He has the /6, 904. All engine families use there own bell housing pattern.
And that’s one thing I can’t stand. Drives me nutz!

I was going to do that at the start, but the bellhousings are differnet and this one I have is had better days.

^^And does your Duster have a console? If so, you will need a transmission with the "underneath" holes for the shifter shaft support. These are at the bottom of the transmission tail casting I think just in front of the mount
Hmm thats something I'm going to have to look into. The car looks like it was converted to a floor shifter.

-
Back