small block Edelbrock water pump experiences

-

Needswork

Reaction score
I picked up a used Edelbrock water pump from a Mopar swap meet a while back. I'm finally getting around to installing it on my 340 stroker project in my '67 Dart (never been run yet). The problem is, the height of the various bolt holes does not match a factory style pump ('70 & up with passenger side lower outlet, or is it '69 & up?). Thus, brackets such as the alternator or PS are not spaced correctly from the face of the block/head.

For instance, the two holes for the alternator brackets are about 1 9/16 (1.560) tall on the Edelbrock pump, but 1 11/16 (1.700) on the factory pump (measured from the pump mounting surface to the top of the bolt hole). The Edelbrock catalog says all factory brackets will fit. I bought the pump from a guy that said it came from a circle track car. I'm wondering if they machined the pump or if it comes this way. All of the mounting holes on the Edelbrock pump are about 1 9/16 tall, except for the top center hole. The factory pump has several at 1 11/16 (1.700), a couple at 1 19/32 (1.600), and the center hole (which is about 1 inch tall on both). My measurements may not be exact, but it's obvious the two pumps differ in this respect.

Sure, I can space it out with washers/shims, but I was just wondering if that is the way is supposed to be. Let me know if you have any experience with stock brackets and this pump. Thanks!

Sorry I cant help with Edelbrock, but I bought a new stock style waterpump (67 273)and both mount bosses for alternator and power steering pump were off! Pain in the arse, but luckily for the most part the new bosses were larger so ground them down, but could never get them perfect.

Thanks for that feedback. I was thinking I might go to the parts store and see if they would let me measure one. The pump I'm working with/measuring from appears to be a genuine Mopar casting (it's probably been sitting around the garage for 20 years). It has the Pentastar logo and has a casting number of 2951571. I think most of the "new" pumps you get at the parts store may be an overseas casting.

-
Back