small block identification

-

1966 valiant

Reaction score
Hi , I'm trying to identify my 318 small block. This motor was already installed in my 66 Plymouth Valiant when I bought it. These are some numbers that I recently found very crudely written in some notes that I had taken down at different times.
Front passenger side of block---4M3181B21381
Bottom of block passenger side---5300671431826
Also bottom of block---DN 11 02 96
To the best of my knowledge these are the correct numbers. But some things with the engine suggest the motor is from the 70's such as mechanical fuel pump. Only have one V-belt running everything. But it has Magnum valve covers that suggest that it is 1996 which is what I think one of the numbers is. When I have bought parts sometimes I look up 70's engines and other times 90's engines. Have had the car 4 years and finally getting tired of guessing. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Check out his link and clip from the service manual...
How to ID a Small Block Engine Block:
IMG_20170408_070130.jpg

1996 318
not sure on the 4, m=mound rd plant, 318 cu in
block casting # 53006714, CU IN 318 core master mold change #26
D = day, N = night shift, 11 02 96 Nov 2 1996

img334.jpg

Sounds like it is a mid 90s magnum 318 witb an older (mid 70s, cant tell without pics) timing cover and pulleys? Some pics would help.

Sounds like it is a mid 90s magnum 318 witb an older (mid 70s, cant tell without pics) timing cover and pulleys? Some pics would help.

just picked the car up from storage. I will get some decent pics in the morning.

Thanks everyone. I replied to d55dave that I would get some decent pics in the morning. Just got my car back from storage. What he is saying is what I've been suspecting. I have felt all along that this was a newer Magnum motor with older timing cover. Just trying to confirm my thoughts.

Okay never tried posting pics from my phone to this site. Keeps posting the same attachment. Sorry will work on it.

This post helped me identify my engine, thanks!
I have another question for you; I have a 66 Valiant as well and am putting a 318 in it. Can you tell me what headers you used?
Thank you

-
Back