Small block middle head bolt access solution

-

Duane

Reaction score
i had posted this question on the forum for an answer to this problem and no one seemed to have an answer.
Any small block racer with large diameter racing valve springs probably know that it is not possible to fit a standard socket in between the middle two exhaust valve springs to access the bolt.
This requires to remove one of those valve springs for socket clearance.
I have found a working solution that works for me and may for others as well depending
How big the spring diameter is.
I have purchased 2 12 point nuts from arp for these two studs only.
This nut requires a 12 point 9/16 socket which I found at Home Depot (Husky brand).
This socket is 1/2 drive and is much smaller in diameter and easily fits in between those two springs allowing the nut to be accessed without removing a valve spring.

image.jpeg

Clears my 2 inch battleship springs with ease. It may work on bigger ones too. Worth a try, did not cost much money.

Once you get to 1.650 springs it gets sketchy. Then you get heads like the 18* Chevy stuff and there is no way to do it but pull the springs.

I was able to buy a 4" deep socket 1/2 " drive from my local auto parts place with a stepped shoulder that slides right down in there but I feel your pain , if only there was a way to remove and re-torque some of the bolts on the outer row without pulling the headers and disconnecting the collector and standing the damn things on end with the car in the air to get at a couple of those eh !

Once you get to 1.650 springs it gets sketchy. Then you get heads like the 18* Chevy stuff and there is no way to do it but pull the springs.
My standard craftsman deep socket measures 1.020 diameter.
My new 12 point husky at the largest diameter measures .865 diameter. My springs measure 1.550 od. A 1.650 spring is .050 per side bigger x2 for two springs is .100 less room. Difference between the socket diameters is .155 thou. By my math this socket would clear a 1.650 spring as well. I guess it would depend on socket and the spring but this husky socket is pretty small diameter. Ymmv.

image.jpg

My standard craftsman deep socket measures 1.020 diameter.
My new 12 point husky at the largest diameter measures .865 diameter. My springs measure 1.550 od. A 1.650 spring is .050 per side bigger x2 for two springs is .100 less room. Difference between the socket diameters is .155 thou. By my math this socket would clear a 1.650 spring as well. I guess it would depend on socket and the spring but this husky socket is pretty small diameter. Ymmv.

View attachment 1715225567

On a Chrysler, you'll be close. On a Chevy no dice. And when you start moving valves around all rules and math go out the window.

On a Chrysler, you'll be close. On a Chevy no dice. And when you start moving valves around all rules and math go out the window.
Well I certainly cannot speak for the Chevy lol.
But this may help some people out. It did me and I just wanted to pass it on because no one suggested this when I asked months ago.

Thanks for the tip Duane. It will come in handy.

-
Back