Small block rebuild

-

Markuscurillious

Reaction score
Hey I’ve got a ‘73 scamp 225 /6 and was wondering what motor I should go with need a deep low rumble in the back. Would like some extra horseage but keeping it stock...oh and what are these cars more? A valiant? a dart? a duster?? Values and other knowledge is encouraged to pass down!

or just leave the slant in there forever and everr

you want to pull the slant six for a rumble out back V8 but you are keeping it stock :realcrazy:
and is your scamp more of a Dart or Duster?? Duster front end.... if I understood the question

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Like should I keep it stock? And to better clarify. Like what engine upgrade is preferred ig is what I’m trying to relay.

Like should I keep it stock? And to better clarify. Like what engine upgrade is preferred ig is what I’m trying to relay.
for power and dual exhaust sound??? 318 or 360 would fit the bill, easy to find, and rather inexpensive.
P.S. - you'll need a small block tranny, exhaust of some sort, radiator, and adapting motor mounts or different K-frame

Conversion to v8 means, mounts,trans,rearend. They put 8 1/4” rears behind 318’s but you probably dont have one. Spirited driving with a v8 and 7 1/4” will be short lived and can hurt the transmission when it breaks. What is your budget? If stock v8 is what you want find a 360 with a 727 attached and go over each and throw it in. Start looking for 8 3/4”.

^^ Check the rear end. Lots of slant six's came with 8.25 rear ends. I've owned them. Also, the 7.25 rear end is good to easy mid 14's in a A-body. In fact, still have the 7.25 in my '74 318 Duster and it's going on 4 years of 14's. Few trips to the strip and a lot of "out of towns"... lol.

Yeah I was leaning towards a 360 I just get so exited I try and figure out what I want well into the future, what would be a good transmission to use I’m not well versed in mopar trannys

Well for trannys, (not the male to female swapped trannys) I’d go with a Chrysler A833 manual transmission!

2nd choice would be the 904, followed by the 727.

Brutally honest the car in stock form isn’t worth much. Not too many people looking for that pristine example of ANY A body with a slant in it. Not to rag on the leaning tower of power, but the market for one is very small. I would keep all the original parts motor trans, just because its nice to keep them together. Unless you have a real SS hemi car or maybe an original well optioned 383 or a 440 car The value of A bodies is in that they are relatively cheap and offer a good performance muscle car that you are not afraid to drive. I own a original 68 340-s fastback AC car in a nice color original motor trans. In pristine condition its worth $30,000? Maybe? A non numbers matching small block duster 340 clone in pristine shape is worth $20,000? Maybe $25,000. Unless you have those few exceptions mentioned above A bodies are not really appreciating vehicles. Not to mention I personally believe that in 5-8 years NO ONE is going to care what number is on the block, muscle car prices will drop. If I had a bunch of original hemi cars I would be selling. The numbers matching crowd is just getting older and smaller! Thats just my two cents

Well I’m torn half of me wants to put the ac in, it’s got bench seats for my girl and her dog, am so we can listen to our shows and ,slant six for economy/ a little pice of history of what it was like to be a stay at home wife getting grocery’s lol

but my guy in me says stroke out 360, **** the a.c., posi trac rear end, dual exhaust I mean make this puppy real growly

Hey I’ve got a ‘73 scamp 225 /6 and was wondering what motor I should go with need a deep low rumble in the back. Would like some extra horseage but keeping it stock...oh and what are these cars more? A valiant? a dart? a duster?? Values and other knowledge is encouraged to pass down!

or just leave the slant in there forever and everr

Here's what you do
Cut the muffler off a exhaust pipe and pull the number 3 spark plug loose.... theres your "rumble out back"

Well I’m torn half of me wants to put the ac in, it’s got bench seats for my girl and her dog, am so we can listen to our shows and ,slant six for economy/ a little pice of history of what it was like to be a stay at home wife getting grocery’s lol

but my guy in me says stroke out 360, **** the a.c., posi trac rear end, dual exhaust I mean make this puppy real growly
If the car already has AC, I myself would keep it. It takes zero power when it is turned off. You’ll just need to source the V8 brackets and use an intake that will accept it. When your cruising in the cool, it’s so much better.

Stroke the 360, keep the AC.

slantsix64 just did a swap with a 360 magnum- worked out well find his thread, lots of others
turbo on the slanty also works well

I have 2 slants, ones in a dart with an automatic and the other is in a wagon with a 3 speed. The dart is okay IMHO performance wise. The slant in my wagon on the other hand is super quick and fun to drive! I enjoy them both and they're really reliable and efficient.
If you have a running engine and you're unsure about what you want, then wait.
A swap costs 3x's as much than you think and takes 3x's as long to complete.
Enjoy the car and maybe consider a v8 car later.

-
Back