Small block TrickFlow heads part 1

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok as exciting as I was about my one TrickFlow head showing up around 1:00 I didn’t head to the shop till 5:00. It was hard for me to get the head totally stripped down as I wanted to run my fingers over the shortturn but I made it. Ok exhaust side first. Short and sweet man it’s a small looking port from the outside looking in but it’s all meat and potatoes, not like a messed up LA Edelbrock port or Speedmaster. I’m not big on radius ports as I could never do any to test them. But like Darin used to say a radius on an exhaust port is ok. Now remember I only have one head and every head needs a little touch up on the shortside leading into the seat. This will be flowtested untouched. Now the intake side. The pinch is smaller than I expected measuring .980-.990. The height measurement is on the paper and was measured as close to the pinch as I could guess. The common wall does taper in to the bolt hole but the beautiful cnc work opened the bowl up nicely. The valve guide although feeling a little tight to me has the valve seal on and what feels like STP used for assembly. I will check it with my pin gauges at some point but I feel it would be good to go.

Following this. Was just talking to my engine builder friend about these heads. He was asking if anyone had a program to cnc port them? Any thoughts?

Ok the intake valve job appears to be at least 4 angles which I would guess to be a nice deep 60-45-30- and a 15 or 10. I’ve found 6-8 cfm on that top cut on sucky Edelbrock chambers. The spark plug hole has been relieved. It’s still buried but laid back nicely like we did on the Speedmaster and Edelbrock heads. The chamber’s need a little work around the valves but this is common on cnc’d heads. The deck looks rougher than it feels and would be fine with Cometic Gaskets. Now for an issue that jumped out that needs addressed. The rocker oiling hole is much smaller. It measures .120 under the shaft BUT they drill the oiling hole then surfaced the heads closing the hole a lot on the deck surface. Check your heads guys as it’s a 30 second fix. Ok that’s all I can think of right now but I know I will be adding something. Wedding reception tomorrow and church Sunday and I also have a black duster to finish but I will try to post up beginning flow numbers so I can start port work as I get a chance.
B301DF7B-5F57-44BA-8349-796A203997BA.jpeg
AC0A4C6F-64CE-4497-A69C-5962EB80184A.jpeg
9D5AC4DB-8A40-4751-9AE5-DAF6F8627652.jpeg

Following this. Was just talking to my engine builder friend about these heads. He was asking if anyone had a program to cnc port them? Any thoughts?

They are already cnc ported as they arrive from TrickFlow. Intake port is advertised at 190cc instead of 170cc Edelbrock heads.

John, thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience and for sure your time with everyone here, looking forward to the results that you are able to achieve with these Trick Flow PP 190's , again thankyou very much. Red B.

John, thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience and for sure your time with everyone here, looking forward to the results that you are able to achieve with these Trick Flow PP 190's , again thankyou very much. Red B.

I honestly enjoy doing it and hopefully teaching guys it isn’t “black magic” that only wizards can do. It’s addicting once you get the hang of it but it can be frustrating too. One thing I posted the other day I will be backing out of now. I said I would test a Victor340 and super Victor on them but honestly that would be a waste of time as I already did this on my Edelbrock and Speedmaster heads. That will free me up to get this Victor340 on my 408 and maybe at least get some test hits before snow flys. Then I will know the engine, transmission, and converter are ready for the 2022 race season.

I bet you buy another head after you perform your magic and see the results.
There will be a pair of Speedmaster collecting dust on the shelf.

I bet you buy another head after you perform your magic and see the results.
There will be a pair of Speedmaster collecting dust on the shelf.

ohhhh I’m buying another head but by time they become available I will have a head start and just have to update this one to titanium retainers.

That guide hook shape in the far side bowl, I dont think I'd touch that!
That is diverting the collision between high n low air.
If they could make guides that had that tail..

Last edited:
:popcorn: very excited to see where this thread goes. It seems to me there's been quite a few mixed feelings about the trick flow 190s, I mean I'm sure their quality head but it will be nice to see where they land when tested by unbiased party.

:popcorn: very excited to see where this thread goes. It seems to me there's been quite a few mixed feelings about the trick flow 190s, I mean I'm sure their quality head but it will be nice to see where they land when tested by unbiased party.

I’m more anxious to see air speed numbers than I am anything. Several people including member Brian (OU812) has had these on his bench and verified
Trickflows numbers. I already see something I’m doing to the shortside just from studying my pictures. I’m betting my bench it pegged at 401fps on the shortside and that’s fast. It would be impossible to more the pushrod over on these without breaking out the welder. You can’t tube these.

Last edited:
Okay probably at elementary question but what makes these heads continue to climb as strong as they do in the high lift areas? I think it must be more than just Port volume

IMO, the pinch is too small upsetting the port from making more power than they do. But if you only open the pinch, generally the port shape needs to be changed...and with the addition of the bowl wing, that complicates things. For the cost of the heads, I don't see people paying for further work to them...however I, like you would love to rework a set and do a dyno session before and after. I think with enough changes, they could be made to make really good power. I just finished a 408 with a small B&M blower, 3psi, street roller cam with 9:1 and made 574HP and 580TQ using the TF heads OOTB.

IMO, the pinch is too small upsetting the port from making more power than they do. But if you only open the pinch, generally the port shape needs to be changed...and with the addition of the bowl wing, that complicates things. For the cost of the heads, I don't see people paying for further work to them...however I, like you would love to rework a set and do a dyno session before and after. I think with enough changes, they could be made to make really good power. I just finished a 408 with a small B&M blower, 3psi, street roller cam with 9:1 and made 574HP and 580TQ using the TF heads OOTB.

thanks for chiming in. I was hoping you would.

I'm glad to hear these heads are that good OOTB. My set is in the machine shop, awaiting a quality crank. I'm waiting for the TF intake, no delivery date. I'm talking to different cam makers for a cam to take advantage of the flow these heads make. Then I'll make a decision on the TC and rear gears for my 1970 Swinger 340. I truly appreciate all the knowledge I've acquired from the members on this site. Mopar or no car! Paul.

Oil feed hole is also small on the BB Trickflow heads. I enlarged them to 3/16".

-
Back