small block water pump

-

68 A

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Replacing the 273 in my dart with a 68 318. I was gonna put the timing chain cover, oil pan and water pump on tonight. while comparing the two engines, i realized that the water pump on the 273 is different than the one for the 318. The 273 has the water intake on the drivers side of the engine, whiel the 318's is on the passengers side. however the intake needs to be on the same side as the 273 because the radiator (aluminum aftermarket) has the connection there.

Also, the 273's pump has a different bolt setup for the power steering pump, while the 318's doesn't. Does anyone know about the differences in these? i would like to get a new pump for the 318, but may just use the one off the 273.

Also, my gasket kit for the timing chain cover isn't correct, and i use silicone as a replacment for the gasket?

Thanks

My suggestion...Do "not" get a new water pump just to change outlet sides. It will screw up your timing marks. If you get a updated pump for the power steering only fine, just don't change your outlet side. This is what happens with different engine swaps..(like me you can't really have your cake and eat it too) If it's an After market rad....I'm not sure if it can be modified for you by a shop. You would have to find out..or get a rad that is made for your engine year with the changes you made. As well, not to sure but keeping your outlet on the drivers side may interfear with a powersteering setup.

Might check a 1970 318 water pump for what side it has outlet on, there are a couple options there that I would think you could find one to work.

Just a differant water pump alone will cover up your timing marks by the hose in the way. For an idea, you could get a different timing chain cover that will show your timing on the passenger side. Put it on with a few bolts and then put the damper on. Ensure your motors at TDC, then remark your new position on the damper at the 0 degree. With a hacksaw later you can make a slight cut on the damper and highlite it. Get a new/used pump with the outlet on the drivers side that will line up with your rad.

69 and earlier cast iron water pumps were on the drivers side and 70 and up aluminum water pumps were on the passenger side. 69 and earlier ones had a timing tab bolted to the timing cover, 70 and up were cast in. use the appropriate cover, balancer, w/p, brackets for the rad.

Like redfastback says just take everything off the front of the 273 and install it on the 318. The gaskets will work on both engines. You might find a timing cover gasket that has an extra hole in it, this is for the poly timing covers but the gasket will still work.

Chuck

There is a tab bolted on with the timing marks on the 273. Thanks for the replys, looks like i'll be moving all that from the 273 onto the 318.

Thanks!

-
Back