Small engine governor

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi all, a few issues with Craftsman snowblower. Carb was flooding, and I took apart cleaned it a few times, still issues. A new carb was about same price as rebuild kit, so ordered and installed new carb. Fired up right away, but didnt idle very low. So I backed out idle screw 1 1/4 turns. That's the max it will back out before its gonna be loose and probably fall out. I'm wondering if governor needs adjusting? But I have no idea where to begin? It seems that the lower half of my throttle doesnt affect idle speed and one of the springs(that goes in adjustable holes) is very loose.
Suggestions?
Oh Briggs n Stratton 9.5 Hp, Craftsman snowblower.
I can post a video as well if that would help?
TIA

20171105_130921.jpg

20191218_104805.jpg

20191218_111948.jpg

If you have a light on the unit it might not idle, it has to run fast enough to keep light lit. Mine has a light and motor doesn't idle.

No adjustment Bruce on the new or factory carb, hust idle screw thanks!
Does the carb have an air/fuel mix screw?

Yes it has a light, and electric start thankfully! Good point on the light, altho I "seem" to remember it idling lower before, but i could be wrong.
I'll post a video a little later.
Thanks all.

If you have a light on the unit it might not idle, it has to run fast enough to keep light lit. Mine has a light and motor doesn't idle.

Sometimes the governor spring gets stretched and you can squeeze it back down to where it's supposed to be originally.

I dont see any springs stretched, but will take another look.The spring in 2nd pic above will compress completely when throttle lever is in lower 1/3 position. Hope that makes sense?
Thanks.
Sometimes the governor spring gets stretched and you can squeeze it back down to where it's supposed to be originally.

20191218_104805.jpg

Last edited:
I used to have access to all the briggs manuals,long since gone.

you may want to try googling service manuals by model type and code.
There could be a chance the idle return spring is in the wrong spot. There are a couple holes on carb butterfly if i recall,depending on application.

said moments before connecting rod plays peek-a-boo through crankcase:lol:

Indeed, yes. However, I have removed the governor from many small engines.....as an adult. lol You just need to "be careful". As long as you make "some kind" of throttle control (gas pedal) you can make it work.

Set throttle at idle, and move govenor where it comes out of engine,one spring or another will be loose. It shoudnt be. Dont adjust governor where it exits block,i think just moving the spring will do it.

I’ve had to change the spring to a different setting/hole. Don’t know if that’s the right way or not, but it has worked for me numerous times. Kim

Engine off, the governor should pull carb wide open.
Typically.

I tried googling with not much luck TJ, I've found factory manual for the Craftsman itself, but not for the engine unfortunately.
I used to have access to all the briggs manuals,long since gone.

you may want to try googling service manuals by model type and code.
There could be a chance the idle return spring is in the wrong spot. There are a couple holes on carb butterfly if i recall,depending on application.

Set throttle at idle, and move govenor where it comes out of engine,one spring or another will be loose. It shoudnt be. Dont adjust governor where it exits block,i think just moving the spring will do it.
I'll check that later, thanks.
Engine off, the governor should pull carb wide open.
Typically.
And it does like it should, thanks again.

Dam, I didn’t know that tj. Thanks. I haven’t played with that many and then never had a book or anything. Kim
Thanks folks.

Steve post up the model ans type number on the engine. Should be on the blower housing. i should have the book on it

Thanks AJ, no cable it's got a lever. I reused the original linkage, but will compare it to the one I got with new carb and post back.
It could be as simple as a throttle cable adjustment.
Check/ compare the throttle arm lengths of the two carbs, and the throttle valve sizes
Thanks Topls, #'s for motor in pic, if you need more lemme know.
Thanks.
Steve post up the model ans type number on the engine. Should be on the blower housing. i should have the book on it
It will run with full or partial choke. I didnt try to see if it will idle down any lower. I will try.
Thanks all, video below.
Will it idle with partial choke or more?
And does/will it run good WOT?

20191214_163158.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty sure everything sounds and operates good, snow blowers idles on the high side. The holes in the arm are numbered and lettered that is for setting maximum engine RPM, this is checked when you have the throttle in the high position. Just set your idle screw on the carburetor just to touch the stop and let it go. Do not adjust the governor shaft on the engine, it may go full throttle...….careful.

After watching video,looks like it may have something to do with carb. Forget a spacer, maybe?

Heres pics with snowblower off.
1st pic is comparing new linkage that came with new carb. It's the same size as old/factory one.
2nd pic shows how loose the spring is with sb off and carb in wide open(normal for off)position.
3rd pic sb is still off, but I am holding the carb closed(tight against idle screw). Note how one spring is still loose?
Maybe I'm over thinking this? Runs good, just seems to idle higher than it did.
No missing spacer Frank, all there and attached.
Thanks all.
After watching video,looks like it may have something to do with carb. Forget a spacer, maybe?
Pretty sure everything sounds and operates good, snow blowers idles on the high side. The holes in the arm are numbered and lettered that is for setting maximum engine RPM, this is checked when you have the throttle in the high position. Just set your idle screw on the carburetor just to touch the stop and let it go. Do not adjust the governor shaft on the engine, it may go full throttle...….careful.

Yes it hits idle screw. Not sure about a vacuum leak, to be honest I haven't checked.
View attachment 1715439695
That's the curb idle speed screw, does it ever touch that?

Also are you sure there isn't a vacuum leak?

20191218_191621.jpg

20191218_191728.jpg

20191218_191741.jpg

The end of the spring is elongated, it acts like a slide...it does not come into play until you move the throttle to full, it all looks OK by me. Your fine just run with it...

-
Back