Small Interior Resto 68' Cuda

-

plymouth4onthefloor

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The Cuda shows his age at some corners, the black color of the carpets is fading, the silver paint on the console and dash is partly gone and i would like to have a tachometer instead of the performance indicator. The heater box butterflies bind. It's time for a new carpet, chrome polishing and some silver paint and a heater box rebuild. All parts are from Classic Industries.

I startet over with the heater box rebuild, the main problem was the missing foam allover.

20171218_114727.jpg
20171218_122553.jpg

One of the best foam stripes, rusty doors.
I dipped the rusty doors in Evaporust to clean it, then i glued on the new foams with
spray glue.

20171219_105858.jpg

Reassembling the box, painting the fan motor, ready for mounting. Check all the butterflies
for proper operation, i had one binding after torquing the heater element.

20171219_131505.jpg

Next step was painting the trim from the console and dash board. I used flat silverspray for wheels, it looks really stock. Instead of masking the Barracuda fish, i used a brush and grease, i painted the fish with the grease, the i sprayed the flat silver, let it dry over night, then cut with a razor blade around the emblems and wipped the silver off!

20171220_082347.jpg

Underneath the fresh painted console, you'll see the faded black carpet:
20171228_144856.jpg

The new tachometer is installed, recognise the speedometer, i had to change it from mph to km/h, it's state law.

20171228_144821.jpg

The tachometer from the backside, it fits perfect without any cutting. The red wire is wrong, i had to move it to the ignition key.
20171220_131638.jpg

Stripping the interior shows nice floor sheet metal. The Cuda had a well live :)

20171222_105945.jpg

20171227_095853.jpg

I glued the carpet in the trunk compartment with contact adhesive, the same one i used for my vinyl roof on the 66 1/2 Satellite. It resist up to 300° F! Important for a long life in a hot car. Apply to both sides, let it dry until it ends sticking, then put the parts together!!!
It's important to align the parts and fix it before glueing.

The finished work looks like this:

20171228_144748.jpg

20171230_231118.jpg

20171230_231104.jpg
20171230_231054.jpg

Before you test drive, let your wife check the oil level :)))))

IMG_2990.JPG

That last pic is the best! Lol
Seriously nice work! Did you grease the "barracuda" script or tape it off?

I grease the top and repainted the side with black model car paint. Masking this items is a pain! I use the model car paint for all my emblems, the paint is from Revell.

dash looks great , what tach did you fit into dash, realy like the look and 8000 rpm instead of 6000
Lon

dash looks great , what tach did you fit into dash, realy like the look and 8000 rpm instead of 6000
Lon
The part N° is MA1525 or MA1524 from Classic industries, the letters are a little bit brighter than the rest of the dash gauges.

The red wire for the tach could have been placed on the post where the noise suppression cap is but... for what that instrument costs, I would have a inline fuse ( hidden behind the column door and labelled "tachometer" ) no matter where I picked up the switched 12 volts. I know the OEM tach was routed to the fuse box and had it own fuse there but I forget what fuse rating... 10 amp maybe.
They didn't fuse the clock that went in that center pod. It got constant 12 volts off the ALT gauge. Go figure.

The red wire for the tach could have been placed on the post where the noise suppression cap is but... for what that instrument costs, I would have a inline fuse ( hidden behind the column door and labelled "tachometer" ) no matter where I picked up the switched 12 volts. I know the OEM tach was routed to the fuse box and had it own fuse there but I forget what fuse rating... 10 amp maybe.
They didn't fuse the clock that went in that center pod. It got constant 12 volts off the ALT gauge. Go figure.
I used another power source that was leftover from the radio, of course with a fuse ;-)
I didn't find a tachometer on the wiring diagram, maybe there was a special one for accessories.

Looks amazing! Did you have to do anything the the chrome edges of the dash bezel? Curious because mine have a few spots of corrosion on them.

Looks amazing! Did you have to do anything the the chrome edges of the dash bezel? Curious because mine have a few spots of corrosion on them.
No, they are in used condition. If there are just small spots, you can brush it with silver/ chrome color. I think there is a company called " Just Dashes" in USA, they do chromeplating on plastic parts.

Looks great, now you only need the barracuda fish emblem in the horn cap. I saw one in the for sale interior section.

The burlwood on your door panels suggests there should be burlwood applied at the upper/black area of you instrument panel ( deluxe interior ). I think those appliques are reproduced but they wouldn't be cheap. They didn't put wood on the console until they deleted that groove down its center and changed the wood to a linear grain.
67 deluxe interior had burlwood on inst' panel and doors and had the rear arm rests but did not have wood applied back there.
Just FYI. Looks fine as is although not quite OEM proper.

The burlwood on your door panels suggests there should be burlwood applied at the upper/black area of you instrument panel ( deluxe interior ). I think those appliques are reproduced but they wouldn't be cheap. They didn't put wood on the console until they deleted that groove down its center and changed the wood to a linear grain.
67 deluxe interior had burlwood on inst' panel and doors and had the rear arm rests but did not have wood applied back there.
Just FYI. Looks fine as is although not quite OEM proper.
You're right, good eyes! I looked for the wood applications and i found it, i'll do it at a later time. The pre-owner put a kind of leather/ vinyl on the dash.

Very nice work. Here is a picture of the dash from my old 68 with deluxe interior.

78bb.jpg

Very nice work. Here is a picture of the dash from my old 68 with deluxe interior.

View attachment 1715133971
I like the wood style, i never saw one like mine. I take a closer look to the broadcast sheet. Hmm, i miss the fish on the steering wheel. I think they put together what they found....
My 66' Satellite has a K member and swaybar style from 1965 ( delivery date was December 1965 in Switzerland ) and it's definitely the original one, because i am the 2nd owner and the car was bone stock as i bought it. I'm currently looking for a nice set of exhaust manifolds, the left one is wrong. Brewer transmissions make some new ones, or i find a nice used pair.

My 1968 was a 50,000 mile survivor, and you will notice it has the Plymouth logo on the horn button. My 1969 has the fish on the horn button, however. Both have deluxe interior with woodgrain.

IMG_2613.JPG

My 1968 was a 50,000 mile survivor, and you will notice it has the Plymouth logo on the horn button. My 1969 has the fish on the horn button, however. Both have deluxe interior with woodgrain.

View attachment 1715134161

Good to know, everything is possible in the Mopar world, thanks for the infos. They look both great, drive carefully on the track!

View attachment 1715134161
Yep, the deluxe interior changed in the mid 68 builds. Burl wood painted on aluminum was carried over from earlier models into 68. The linear grain is made more like formica.

I think I just learned something- dash woodburl is available ? Where? That dash looks great! Also, your spare tire. Looks like you have larger 5.5" rim, E70x14 tire option. The hold down bolt is longer, 8 3/16". Is that what you have? Mine is missing, am trying to find one.

I think I just learned something- dash woodburl is available ? Where? That dash looks great! Also, your spare tire. Looks like you have larger 5.5" rim, E70x14 tire option. The hold down bolt is longer, 8 3/16". Is that what you have? Mine is missing, am trying to find one.
Some years ago the aftermarket started reproducing these rallye panel bezels and their parts.
While I had assumed the burl wood appliques are available, I never actually shopped for them.
Try Classic Industries.

DMT can probably make it for you. They have done custom stuff for people on fabo. They make the upper insert in woodgrain, and carbon fiber. Tell em whatcha need.

It's actually a Cragar wheel in the trunk, i try to find a 14" small pattern wheel. I don't like this look in the trunk....it looks definitely wrong.

-
Back