Smelt antifreeze when I turned on the fan...

-

moparfreak77

Reaction score
I fired up the Valiant yesterday and when I turned the fan on, "steam" came pouring out of it and it smelt like antifreeze. Is this a sign of a bad heater core? Can it be fixed? Any write-ups on the web for changing it if this is what it is? thanks.

Check the hose clamps first. A small leak there can spray into the heater case. If it is infact the heater core leaking you'll need a copy of the R&R proceedure from a service manual.

a quick fix is to bypass the heater core by "looping" the hoses on the water pump. then you can at least drive it

a quick fix is to bypass the heater core by "looping" the hoses on the water pump. then you can at least drive it

Make sure you use enough hosing so that it loops smoothly. You don't want any kinks/pinches in it.

Heater cores are relatively easy to change (especially if you have done it before). Of course, non-AC cars are easier.

I fired up the Valiant yesterday and when I turned the fan on, "steam" came pouring out of it and it smelt like antifreeze. Is this a sign of a bad heater core? Can it be fixed? Any write-ups on the web for changing it if this is what it is? thanks.

A FSM (Factory Service Manual) really comes in handy for this. If you eyeball it long enough, you will figure it out. BTW: Chances are, it is the heater core but as suggested, bypassing it will allow you to keep it running while you are pulling the box out.

I not worried about driving it as there is still quite a bit of snow here. I was just moving it to get it out of the way. The hose clamps you are talking about, are they the ones under the hood on the core? How much are the cores usually? Is there anything else I should do if I do take the heater box out?

I not worried about driving it as there is still quite a bit of snow here. I was just moving it to get it out of the way. The hose clamps you are talking about, are they the ones under the hood on the core? How much are the cores usually? Is there anything else I should do if I do take the heater box out?
Yes those 2 clamps where heater hoses connect is correct.
No there is nothing else you can do really except maybe clean out some debrie inside the case. Heater cores are 40.00 average price.
I doubt you'll be able to live with the leak for long snow or shine. The antifreeze leaves a greasy film on the glass.

pinching the hose, even totally shut, wont effect any thing.

Make sure you use enough hosing so that it loops smoothly. You don't want any kinks/pinches in it.

Heater cores are relatively easy to change (especially if you have done it before). Of course, non-AC cars are easier.

-
Back