Snap Ring holding axle in place

-

cuda guy

Reaction score
Hey all
I bought a 1968 Cuda with a 8 3/4 rear end
Today when I tried to pull the axles to deal with the brakes and a leak in the diff I noticed it has Strange axles and what looks like a retaining ring
I have never seen this, how do I remove this so I can pull the axle

thanks

God Bless you all for ur help

With "Strange" axles, and a snap ring.
You likely have "green bearings", the snap ring is to stop the bearing/axle going in too far.
With the axle bolts undone, give the axles a tug, and they should pop right out.
If not, invert the drum, bell out, slide it onto the axle studs, put on 2 or 3 lug nuts a few turns, push the drum in, and tug it out, as a slide hammer, a few tugs should bring the axle with it.
Cheers

Sometimes they "aren't very stuck" and if that's the case, reverse the drum and start a couple of nuts a few threads. Then use both hands, use the drum as a "short stroke" slide hammer, they will often come out after a few "bangs."

The snap ring is to keep the axel from coming out of the housing. There is an o ring around the bearing to seal it, that causes the axel to stick.
Do the backward mounted brakedrum slidehammer trick.

the 5 studs on the housing that mount to the backing plate keep the axle from coming out...the snap ring just located the axle...

15432104552851306193713.jpg
15432104990571058951028.jpg

1543210533361380982115.jpg

15432108762721577675552.jpg

You guys have used these bearings forever and you know that clip is what keeps it from sliding through that plate give me a break.

Last edited:
Mopar Axle Package 5 X 4 1/2" (5 X 4.5) Bolt Pattern 30/35 Spline

look at the picture of axles at dr diff...see the mounting plate behind the axle flange...that bolts on to the housing studs...the mounting plates is held in place by the wheel bearing and the lock ring that is pressed on...

Yes, the Ford 9" goes back to what........the late 50s doin it like that. A LOT of other popular rear axles, too.......the Olds, Pontiacs, and most every single chunk type rear axle ever made. Not like it's anything new, is it?

But that simply holds the assembly from coming through the retainer plate. All you have to do to get the axle out is remove the nuts holding the retainer plate on, bump the axle with the reverse drum as Del described, use a slide hammer if they are really stuck and they will come right out as an assembly. There's no need to remove any snap ring to get the axle assembly out.

But that simply holds the assembly from coming through the retainer plate. All you have to do to get the axle out is remove the nuts holding the retainer plate on, bump the axle with the reverse drum as Del described, use a slide hammer if they are really stuck and they will come right out as an assembly. There's no need to remove any snap ring to get the axle assembly out.
That's all right. But it was stated that the clip is to keep the axle from going further into the rear housing that is not the case. The clip is to keep the axle with the bearing from coming out of the housing. The whole assembly depends on that clip to keep the axle in the rear end housing without that clip the bearing will slide through that outside retainer plate and you will lose your axle wheel whatever.

The axle cannot go in any further to the housing than the bearing will allow it.

ok....you win...take the snap ring off and pull the axle.....

i have a set of dana 60 axles setting on the ground will check them tomorrow...film at 11

A pressed on collar keeps the bearing in place on the axle, the axle retainer between the backing plate and housing is what keeps the axle in place. held on by 5 studs with nuts. the snap does not hold axle in place.

I did not say that you have to remove the clip to take the axle out of the housing. You take the axle out of the housing by removing the nuts from the studs that are holding the retaining plate on the housing.
As I stated above I was addressing the statement that the clip was to keep the axle from going further into the housing. As I said before that is not the purpose of the clip the clip is to keep you from losing the axle going down the road.
Go ahead and shoot all the film you want to I've already posted 4 pictures that shows that that is the case.

easier term, the snap ring keeps the axle from going to far INTO the housing.
it locates the bearing in the proper place

A pressed on collar keeps the bearing in place on the axle, the axle retainer between the backing plate and housing is what keeps the axle in place. held on by 5 studs with nuts. the snap does not hold axle in place.

All agreed, but what keeps the axle bearing and entire assembly from sliding through the axle retainer flange? See that snap ring? The only other way would be if the hole in the axle retainer flange was smaller than the axle bearing O.D. Then, it would not need a snap ring.

The bearing seats into the bearing retainer. the retainer must be in place before the bearing and the collar is pressed on.

yes...if you would remove the snap ring ...you can slide the flange with the 5 mounts over the axle bearing.....never seen anyone remove the snap ring...but there is always a first.

The bearing seats into the bearing retainer. the retainer must be in place before the bearing and the collar is pressed on.

We agree with that. But LOOK at the pictures posted so far. For THOSE to work like you say, without a snap ring, the hole in the bearing retainer would have to be smaller than the bearing. In the above pictures it's not, so a snap ring must be employed.

-
Back