**Snell Approved Racing Helmet's - SA2010 vs M2010**

-

Mad Dart

Nothing to see Here!
Reaction score
So does anyone know the deal with the difference in how fast you can go with each helmet?

I am trying to compare Full Face Helmets. I know that M is for Motorcycle and SA is for Auto's

Lots of guys run with the M and from what I am reading it is good for anything 13.99 & Under if it is Full Face?

What helmets are you guys using?

I think the difference is that the SA has a fire proof material inside the helmet..

Open face...would not want to hide my pretty face ..........lol

I think the difference is that the SA has a fire proof material inside the helmet..

Open face...would not want to hide my pretty face ..........lol

Yeah it is fire proof material. Been doing more reading. I also read that the SA is tested smashing up against a roll bar. The M would need to be stronger I would think..... Reason is your not strapped into anything.... Lol, Have you seen them Motorcycle guys crash and bounce their heads off the pavement! Damn.......

I like the 2nt one. Only because it seem to have more venting on top. Mine has non and i think "hot head" venting could be a real plus!

M is a rating for Motorcycle.

I use the SA for my race cars.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Simpson-Helmets/Simpson-Super-Bandit-Helmets/1037886/10002/-1

The best for your head. Safety is one thing I never skimp on..

Snell rating is Snell rating regardless of the manufacturer right?

So just because someone spends more on a helmet or whatever does that automatically make it better?

For example, I run PRW SS Roller Rockers on my 410ci SBM. When I bought them Hughes did not have any at all. I drive the wheels off my car, solid roller , 510 lbs over the nose spring pressures. .634 lift. I revvvvv it to 7200 RPM Regularly on a 200 Hit of NOS..They hold the valve adjustment perfect. I paid half of what the Hughes cost and I have zero issues with them....... So would I be better off with Hughes Rockers?? Don't get me wrong I have ran them many times before and like them. Just proving that because you pay more for something does not mean it is better. Rant over.........

Yes the snell is a snell rating. Do you want the the minimum that meets requirements or would you want the one the exceeds the requirements?

You can put a brain bucket on your head if you want.. I prefer to spend the extra money and buy a known quality part and not have to take a chance on failure. I don't have a $10 head so I don't want a $10 helmet.

Using you analogy a broke rocker arm at worse will kill the motor. A broke helmet will kill you. Take a chance on the motor not your head.

I have a $150 head....:D....SA full face helmet here (I forget what brand), my previous helmet was a "M" which worked fine as well.

don't ask here, ask the sanctioning body with whom you will race.

don't ask here, ask the sanctioning body with whom you will race.

HELMET (Feb. 4, 2013)
For all 10.00 to 13.99 closed-bodied cars, either an open-face or a
full-face Snell M2005, M2010, K2005, SA2000, SA2005, SA2010,
SFI 31.1A, 31.1/2005, 31.2A, 41.1A, 41.1/2005, or 41.2A helmet
with or without a shield is mandatory.

Rule book does not say how much you have to spend...only the helmet needs to meet those specs...

Just purchased Helmet, Snell SA2010, Jacket from Speedway Motors "Finish Line Brand" and Gloves. All fire retardant.

I was told by one of my friends that tech's cars at Qualcomm Stadium Racelegal events that if you have NOS Solenoids you are required to have a fire rated jacket at least single stage. This stands even if the bottle is out of the car not being used at the event......

What everybody is saying is correct. The only difference between a SA and M helmet is that the SA has interior padding made of Nomex for extra fire retardancy.

As far as the quality of the helmets, it is kind of like you always hear famous TV contractor Mike Holmes talk about "minimum code" when building a house. "Minimum code" is not necessarily the best quality. In this case, the "minimum code" of just passing the Snell testing on a couple of sample helmets is not necessarily the best quality for protecting your noggin.

IMHO, stick with a name brand, Simpson, Bell, etc. I am sure there are fake Snell stickers out there on Chinese junk too! #-o

Yes the snell is a snell rating. Do you want the the minimum that meets requirements or would you want the one the exceeds the requirements?

You can put a brain bucket on your head if you want.. I prefer to spend the extra money and buy a known quality part and not have to take a chance on failure. I don't have a $10 head so I don't want a $10 helmet.

Using you analogy a broke rocker arm at worse will kill the motor. A broke helmet will kill you. Take a chance on the motor not your head.

Lol..... I hear what you are saying and I like my women FAT! Fatter the better! hahahahaaa

Just purchased Helmet, Snell SA2010, Jacket from Speedway Motors "Finish Line Brand" and Gloves. All fire retardant.

I was told by one of my friends that tech's cars at Qualcomm Stadium Racelegal events that if you have NOS Solenoids you are required to have a fire rated jacket at least single stage. This stands even if the bottle is out of the car not being used at the event......

Good choice on your purchase. Our tech guy prefers the SA for cars.

Mad Dart... You just ain't right..lol.... It is all what you want.. I almost died in 2010 from illness so I do not take a chance on anything anymore.. A few hundred more is fine with me. I would rather not find out if the helmet just meets standards...

Yeah it is fire proof material. Been doing more reading. I also read that the SA is tested smashing up against a roll bar. The M would need to be stronger I would think..... Reason is your not strapped into anything.... Lol, Have you seen them Motorcycle guys crash and bounce their heads off the pavement! Damn.......
Yeah I crashed head first , foam inside helmet compressed about 1.2 inch or more . Head was the size of a basketball , lots o swelling . Without a helmet , well think watermelon dropped from 30 feet .

That's new news.....

-
Back