snow removal suggestions

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
me and the wife are looking at buying a new home
the one we have now has a driveway maybe 60 foot long, with a little turn around, it takes me almost an hour to clean with the old dual stage snow thrower
the home were looking at has a driveway thats 250 foot long and it would take me forever to do it with the walk behind

so, what are my options?

i had a dual stage snow thrower on my lawnmower once (cobbled up) and it didnt work the greatest (there is one on the list right now that seems to be designed for my mower, and that may work better)

i guess i could buy a plowtruck but im sure the missus wont want to look at that the other 9 months of the year

so, what are my options?

-- The home were looking at has a driveway thats 250 foot long _ _ _ _ _ _ so, what are my options? --
-- Here's what I use, with a back blade to plow snow. -- A little expensive -- But -- If You have a 250 Ft. driveway, then You likely have a large lot. --- Solution - Get a tractor, that is a little smaller, with a belly mower, and a back blade - cut grass & plow snow with it. - Add a front bucket and You've got a handy wheel barrow. -- Just My 2 cents.
KUBOTA L-3830.jpg

-- Here's what I use, with a back blade to plow snow. -- A little expensive -- But -- If You have a 250 Ft. driveway, then You likely have a large lot. --- Solution - Get a tractor, that is a little smaller, with a belly mower, and a back blade - cut grass & plow snow with it. - Add a front bucket and You've got a handy wheel barrow. -- Just My 2 cents.View attachment 1714997902

i may have to go that way, the lot is about 2.5 acres and the house sits in the middle
pond in the back, so not a ton of mowing to be done

ATV with a thrower attachment.
do they make them with a thrower?

i used to live in a different home with nothing across my driveway, and i used a plow blade on my mower

but im liking the idea of an ATV, specially if its my boys size ;)

Congrats on your new home . I , too , have a 250 ft driveway with a turnaround . My Mrs. made me buy a new tractor . Actually, any compact tractor will do but I need power steering and 4wd . Mine is a New Holland 22/10 with a bucket for pushing snow . I have 5 acres . 3 1/2 is in pasture and one is lawn which my Mrs. mows with a zero turn . I mow with a 6ft finish mower and edge with a bush hog. I think you need at least 32+ h.p. to move snow . I bought new because they offered 0% financing with a 5 year warrentee. We use a Toro single stage blower for the edges . Works great. John Deere, Massey, NewHolland all make compacts at competitive prices . I don't speak Japenese , so, Kubota is out, please don'tbuy ones made in China, India or Korea . they don't last and parts are wicked expensive. good luck . Using a plow service is also a good idea if you don't mind waiting your turn but they can't help you mow the field or carry logs . Just my 4cnts.

I pay a friend to do mine. He charges me $20 each time he plows. It might cost me a couple hundred bucks a year, but it beats working on an old POS plow truck or having to buy a pricey four wheel drive tractor to do the dirty work. And, I don't have to freeze my butt off doing it. Tractors are cool and all, but unless you have a front PTO or a way to get the power forward for a front mounted blower, you will always be backing up to make use of a 3 point mounted one. If you have a cab, great. If not, you will be wearing a lot of the snow you are blowing!!!!!

4x4 atv and a good snow plow all ya need,..atv bout as useful as a small tractor round the farm,..depending on other needs/wants. atv can be enjoyed in many other ways trail riding to pit bike at the drags...

4x4 atv and a good snow plow all ya need,..atv bout as useful as a small tractor round the farm

Wouldn't go so far as to say that, but an ATV can do a lot. I have one with a plow I use when there's less than 6-7" and the snow is reasonably dry. If it's wet or much deeper than that, I bring out the tractor with front end loader.
Added bonus with a tractor & FEL, you can pile it higher, handy if you get a lot of snow and space to put it is limited. However, a tractor can make a pretty good dent in your bank account, so if you don't really have any other use for it maybe not a good idea.

me and the wife are looking at buying a new home
the one we have now has a driveway maybe 60 foot long, with a little turn around, it takes me almost an hour to clean with the old dual stage snow thrower
the home were looking at has a driveway thats 250 foot long and it would take me forever to do it with the walk behind

so, what are my options?

i had a dual stage snow thrower on my lawnmower once (cobbled up) and it didnt work the greatest (there is one on the list right now that seems to be designed for my mower, and that may work better)

i guess i could buy a plowtruck but im sure the missus wont want to look at that the other 9 months of the year

so, what are my options?
give the job to a contractor you will love the winter after

602917_4300242459382_196794168_n.jpg

-
Back