Snowmobiling blues...

-
Ordered trail passes today, started hinting to the wife I need a new sled last week. Haven’t had much snow the last couple years, optimistic for this year
well beyond having to build my first sled deck this year because I've already sold my trailer? LOL I was really hoping to get some new boots and hoping Beyond hopes meaning I don't see the having the money for it! I would like to have new covers for sleds.

I just closed up my cabin this weekend and I won't be back till Christmas for snowmobiling. My whole family loves snowmobiling and we are all ready for snow. Well maybe not till football season is over, then It can snow!

Cley
My wife and I often talk about a winter cabin.

I think Yamaha is still making a fan-cooled twin two stroke according to the 2019 buyer's guide. Yamaha has teamed up with Arctic Cat and they have there 4-stroke Genesis motor that they're trading back and forth and putting a turbo on and it does very well in the Deep powder it's just so powerful.
You are right, Yamaha is selling a 2 stroke 540cc since 2017.

BTW, looking today for a new snowmobile. Winter is not far away.

Always drove Yamaha. Drove a 600cc two up for years with kids one the back and when small up front too. When they became teenagers I bought the 1000cc 4 stroke RX1 and no way they could keep up, it's heavy and can be tough on the shoulders steering trails at the end of the day. The last two years I've been riding an EFI 550cc fan cooled Arctic Cat we bought cheap and loving it. It's so light and easy to steer, even with the low power I can keep up easy to big ones in the tight trails. I ride at the back now, get "move over old man" from my boys now but I get there when I get there.

If I was to buy one today I don't know if I'd buy a 120hp light trail ripper or a Pantera, remote starter, heated seat with all the bells and whistles....oh yea baby.

in 2008 I bought my wife and I each an 800 Renegade. When the kids are done Hockey, we will buy a couple more new ones. Likely the same type of thing. Great sleds so far!

Cley

Always drove Yamaha. Drove a 600cc two up for years with kids one the back and when small up front too. When they became teenagers I bought the 1000cc 4 stroke RX1 and no way they could keep up, it's heavy and can be tough on the shoulders steering trails at the end of the day. The last two years I've been riding an EFI 550cc fan cooled Arctic Cat we bought cheap and loving it. It's so light and easy to steer, even with the low power I can keep up easy to big ones in the tight trails. I ride at the back now, get "move over old man" from my boys now but I get there when I get there.

If I was to buy one today I don't know if I'd buy a 120hp light trail ripper or a Pantera, remote starter, heated seat with all the bells and whistles....oh yea baby.
I still have a heavy desire to plow through the Deep powder up in the mountains but I can see a day easily and I mean very easily I could be talked into all the bells and whistles LOL but I'd still always need a little zip! After having all that zip underneath my two fingers it's hard to give it up...

Top of mount Carleton

17309018_393313081024045_7051828597034142829_n.jpg

This is a sled I'm building, hopping to have her out this winter.. 1973 Silver bullet with a 1993 Polaris XLT 600 engine complete with the Polaris rear skid and drive train. Should go pretty good.

20170903_221002.jpg

20171222_135501.jpg

20171222_135608.jpg

20171015_214559.jpg

This is a sled I'm building, hopping to have her out this winter.. 1973 Silver bullet with a 1993 Polaris XLT 600 engine complete with the Polaris rear skid and drive train. Should go pretty good.

View attachment 1715221178

View attachment 1715221181

View attachment 1715221182

View attachment 1715221183
I actually had one of those Polaris 600's. It was a ripper. Unfortunately I had too much trouble starting it in the cold which is not a good combination for a snowmobile. LOL
I really just wanted to upgrade at the time I hadn't paid much for it, it ran great for quite some time and I just let it go.

Okay tomorrow I plan to make my plans LOL for my snowmobile sled deck and possibly go down to the steel yard and start my selection..
FYI, My latest project.

Okay tomorrow I plan to make my plans LOL for my snowmobile sled deck and possibly go down to the steel yard and start my selection..
FYI, My latest project.
You should build a sled for a winter race
:poke:

Great idea he could race yellow rose.
Who do you think would win?
Maybe we could start a poll
so now every time I buy a water pump for my car I got to find out if it's faster than the one that yellow rose has?
Either one of you want to try some input on a snowmobile Sled Deck? Maybe you can show off some of your experience from when you built yours?

Our snowmobiles are for going up hills in deep powder. They're not for racing..

Winter of 97, we got powder and drifts,10 and 12 feet high, highly unusual here on the flat-lands. That was the same year I think, Extra 12 suspensions came out, and the big-inch Polarises, and 2" paddle tracks.
I was wrenching for a Polaris dealer, and got to test-drive a few of those. Lordy those brutes could climb. I was 44 and stamina-wise many times the man then as now,and those brutes could tucker a guy out..... but man what fun in that powder. I remember topping this one crest, going too fast to stop, and the crest was actually a cliff, and it was straight down maybe 8 ft on the other side with a bathtub-full of powder down there. It's absolutely amazing the many thoughts that race thru your mind when it looks like you are about to destroy the bosses brand new sales-stock,lol.
I had repaired enough sleds to know this was about to get expensive. In slo-mo time, I ran thru the options and decided the best course of action, for my face and body, was to just let go of the handlebars as we crested the peak, and lean back as far as I could, and hope my boots stayed in the stirrups. And at that moment my mind saw this from afar, and it looked totally ridiculous as the snomobile got air with seemingly no pilot. We crested more or less level, with my weight far to the rear and soared thru the air, and smashed into the drift on the other side, more or less not even touching the bathtub at the bottom. The sudden resistance flung me forward, the stirrups held, and flying in slo-mo, I was able to land my hands back on the grips, and mash the throttle,as my body was crashing forward; and so prevent destroying the windshield, As the 2" paddles dug in; what a rush, they launched me straight into the next, slightly smaller, wall. Oh boy; here we go again! whoop-whoop!

Also don't forget it's yellow rose You Oughta be chasing around the Forum asking about a race? Wasn't that his announcement? I'm here! where is he?

and if he would show his face, id call him out, but it looks like he ran off and left you holding the bag....so guess who im picking on?

and if he would show his face, id call him out, but it looks like he ran off and left you holding the bag....so guess who im picking on?
No s***! Right?
That's some messed-up stuff!?
I feel I'm moving past it but nobody else is.
Maybe you and 318 will win and some others can gather around in a big Kumbaya or something? And put it to rest?
I'm over it....

lol, im just having fun with it (remember who i voted for when the announcement first came out? )
maybe im easily amused

i guess ill let it go

almost forgot to mention, that is one slick setup on the pickup
you posted that last your too right?

-
Back